With all this talk about the pressure gauge visibility, I thought maybe it was finally time for me to register an account and share.
I finally bought a robot in early March as my first venture into espresso.
Before purchase I had read through this entire thread and any other resources I could find, so one thing I knew was that the angle of the barista model pressure gauge was not considered optimal.
What tipped my hand was that when I finally decided to purchase, Prima was out of the Barista model in my preferred color. Therefore I went for a "DIY Barista model" mod.
I ordered the necessary parts and went with a plan of "I'll see where works best to place and mount things when the parts get here".
This was very quickly settled on as there is no resisting gravity or any other forces with this mounting, and the gauge is very visible when in use.
I was embarrassed to post until now because of the inclusion of scotch tape as my "prototype" mounting mechanism, and paper towel as my anti-rub guide for the tube moving up and down.
However, it has held up perfectly for 3 months of use, so there has been no need to change the "prototype" materials yet.
Pressure gauge with red line at 8 bar and MNPT fitting (This was not a 5-pack at the time I ordered): $6.99
5 feet PTFE tubing: $6.99
Legris BPT connector for piston: $5.61
Legris MNPT swivel elbow: $5.87
FNPT coupler elbow with flat sides for easy mounting/sitting: $3.20
Mounting: scotch tape
Tube guide: paper towel wrapped in scotch tape
I was too lazy to even try to source a metal sheath for the tube like the Barista model has.
I looked a bit for a filter screen for the gauge but didn't find one. Since I can see in the clear tube, it looks like it's been only very clean water in the tube so far, so that should be fine.
Total: $28.66 plus applicable taxes in your area (I had no shipping costs with Amazon Prime and a nearby Grainger branch)
The end result: