Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 367

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3661: Post by yakster »

sam_d wrote:Hi all, I'm thinking about buying a Robot soon, my original plan was to just purchase a Robot only, before making a second order with any extras (e.g. a 2nd basket) once I'd had some time to get used to making coffee with it.

However with the higher COVID related shipping costs that isn't looking too great at the moment, so... my question to all of you much more experienced users, is what extras to get?
I'd pick up extra piston seals and a screen and maybe some filter papers.

I don't have the hands or the leveling tamper and don't find a need for them, but I did pick up a pressurized basket later when I accidentally picked up some pre-ground Italian coffee from Amazon. I still use the pressurized basket, but only to pre-heat the piston by filling it with hot water and putting the tamper in the hand to slowly pull a warming shot while I prep my basket. There's other, more effective ways to pre-heat the piston but I don't pull ultra light roasts and usually don't need to worry too much about it.

For just two shots, I don't think that two regular baskets are necessary, the puck usually drops right out and I find it takes little time to prep a second shot with just one but I am usually only pulling for myself so I also usually drink the first shot before I consider pulling a second, unless I'm making an Americano for my Wife when she finds out I'm making coffee.

YMMV, I know some people like the ergonomics of the hands and want the leveling tamper, but since the basket is so deep I find it pretty easy to visually check that the tamper is centered without need for the guides.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

SandraF

#3662: Post by SandraF »

Has anyone ordered a Robot from the Cafelat store in Hong Kong? I'm interested in the Barista model & Prima is sold out.

I wonder, in reality, how long it would take to get one into my hands.
Thanks

K7

#3663: Post by K7 »

Regarding Prima, do they ever restock sold out Robot accessories? I have visited their site time to time since last year but many items like the basket, screen and gasket are perennially out of stock.

Ken5

#3664: Post by Ken5 »

Blue and white barista model, and the gasket and professional basket are available at

cafune.ca

With exchange rate conversion and a cheap flat rate shipping charge per order to the US( free shipping to Canada), think it was $5 or $10 back in October price is competitive. If you get a referral code from a member of the cafune program you get 10% off if things are still as they were in October.

Fast shipping and a pleasure to do business with.

jpender

#3665: Post by jpender »

K7 wrote:Regarding Prima, do they ever restock sold out Robot accessories? I have visited their site time to time since last year but many items like the basket, screen and gasket are perennially out of stock.

I ordered Robot accessories from Prima twice in 2020. I had to check periodically for the items to be in stock and noticed that they didn't stay in stock. But lately when I've looked almost everything has been unavailable.

Send them an email and ask.

nismohks88

#3666: Post by nismohks88 »

If I don't tamp quite hard my coffee splatters everywhere and I don't have to press hard on the levers at all and it flows really fast. Could this be my grind is not fine enough ? I have a solis grinder. It's over 10 years old. Thanks

fabienm

#3667: Post by fabienm »

SandraF wrote:Has anyone ordered a Robot from the Cafelat store in Hong Kong? I'm interested in the Barista model & Prima is sold out.

I wonder, in reality, how long it would take to get one into my hands.
Thanks
Yes, I ordered mine directly from Cafelat HK:
-order on Dec 10th
-dispatch on Dec 16th
-received (in France) on Dec 18th

Pretty quick process, overall.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3668: Post by yakster »

nismohks88 wrote:If I don't tamp quite hard my coffee splatters everywhere and I don't have to press hard on the levers at all and it flows really fast. Could this be my grind is not fine enough ? I have a solis grinder. It's over 10 years old. Thanks
Grind finer, but if the coffee is not fresh that could be the problem too.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

nismohks88

#3669: Post by nismohks88 »

I have it on the finest setting already. I need a new grinder I guess

sam_d

#3670: Post by sam_d »

Thanks everyone for the replies to my question!

Looks like getting some extra seals and a screen will be a good idea.

As for everything else, there appears to be quite a split of opinion, so I will probably go with my gut on most of it and stop trying to analyse it too much!

The one point that came up that I hadn't considered was using the pressurised basket for preheating. I shall have a look at the other thread for more info about that.

Hopefully cheaper shipping options will reappear soon anyway...