Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 354

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ojaw

#3531: Post by ojaw »

Beauty shot.

ke466

#3532: Post by ke466 »

Has anyone here tried pulling a 1:4 or 1:5 shot with light roast?

Wondering what doses might work... since water retention in the puck and the basket size might limit the amount of water we can fill.

jpender

#3533: Post by jpender »

ke466 wrote:Has anyone here tried pulling a 1:4 or 1:5 shot with light roast?

Wondering what doses might work... since water retention in the puck and the basket size might limit the amount of water we can fill.

I haven't tried but the maximum usable water, filling to within a few millimeters of the rim, is around 80g. With a smaller dose there is more room for water but the piston only goes down so far so it ends up being extra water you can't use. The puck tends to hold roughly it's own original dry weight in water. So to get 1:4 or 1:5 you'd need 5 or 6 times as much water as coffee, maybe a tad more. Hence the dose would be 12-16g. You'd have to experiment a little. But I think it's doable.

Jonk

#3534: Post by Jonk »

ke466 wrote:Has anyone here tried pulling a 1:4 or 1:5 shot with light roast?

Yes. From memory I've been able to do 1:5 with a 16g dose.

Charlemagne

#3535: Post by Charlemagne »

I've done 1:4 with 18g of (dense) light roast.

ke466

#3536: Post by ke466 »

Thanks jpender for the breakdown and others for confirmation with their experience!

YeetSkeeterson

#3537: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

I've been daily driving my Robot for months now without any hiccups and astounding results.

-18g coffee with a Kinu grinder.
-Preheat the basket on top of steaming kettle then wipe dry right before adding coffee.
-Tamp with the leveling tamper then insert the cover with a pre-wet filter stuck to it.
-Add 60g water, then gently tap the basket downwards to remove some of the trapped air pockets.
-Preinfuse for 10 seconds, pull for for 20-30 seconds, 7-9 bars, depending on coffee and age.
-Output is 38-40g depending on if I squeeze out as much as I can or stop early.

Have there been any developments in the many new pages of discussion regarding tips or tricks?

Lotad99

#3538: Post by Lotad99 »

I've been using a Knock Aergrind to grind my espresso beans but honestly, it gets pretty tough grinding out 3-4 shots by hand for my family. Quite the workout! At what price point would I see a noticeable difference in the cup from an electric grinder? I was looking at the Eureka Mignon Silenzio or the Specialita.. thoughts?

Jonk

#3539: Post by Jonk »

Even just upgrading to for example a Kinu M47 Phoenix you should notice an improvement in the cup, in my experience. It'll also grind faster and be nice to fit more than one dose at a time if you want.

As for electric grinders, a Niche Zero is a great choice - if you have patience to get one.

ojaw

#3540: Post by ojaw »

The Niche is the current darling and apparently worth the wait and cash, but I went for the Silenzio last spring and and haven't regretted it. There is some retention but it's a great machine; really well made, capable, and in my view better looking than the Niche.
Because it was local to me I was able to pick it up for just over half what the Niche would have cost me, and coming from hand grinding (a good one mind you, Helor 101) I wasn't ready to commit to the investment.