Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 333

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jayo

#3321: Post by jayo »

I tried a tool that was listed as being 58mm, but it's slightly too big to fit the Robot's basket - what is the measured diameter of the SUJUDE one?

hogbean
Supporter ♡

#3322: Post by hogbean »

Post by jayo what is the measured diameter of the SUJUDE one?
The SUJUDE is too big, I had to trip out to the garage to use my bench grinder with a fine grit stone wheel. Fortunately I only had to very carefully remove about 0.003 in from both the distributor and tamper components outside diameter. This did not bother me as I was planning to modify anyway, I at first just wanted to see if I could make it work. If anyone wanted to try this build idea it would be best to start with a dual use distributor/tamper that fit the Robot basket. Tip- if you do need to grind off some material, "paint" the surface to grind with a black magic marker. It will only take a couple passes to remove 0.003 in.
Having said that, I did get the measurements you requested.
Robot basket inside diameter 2.28?? in. (its smaller than 2.2825 but difficult to measure internal accurately)
SUJUDE tool outside diameter 2.2825 in (slightly smaller than 2.283)
58mm = 2.283464566929134

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
jayo

#3323: Post by jayo »

Ah, I thought maybe the SUJUDE was slightly smaller. Thanks for the update!

Oliverandskippy

#3324: Post by Oliverandskippy »

Hi. I posted some form of this on the CafelatRobot subreddit so I apologize if you've seen this already.

Yesterday I received my Robot and have been having a really difficult time with my shots. I've been using the pressurized basket as I'm still in the process of acquiring a proper grinder. I've run into the problem of too fast shots that are pretty much over after getting to 2-3 bars. I've tried fresh and not so fresh coffee to no avail. Could it be my puck prep or tamping? I'm super new to espresso so I feel quite confused.

Thanks for reading!

Honu

#3325: Post by Honu » replying to Oliverandskippy »

the pressure of tamping does not really affect the outcome like that given consistent weight and grind is what matters

congrats you will get it dialed in they are awesome machines

what grinder did you have coming

while its tough and takes a while read through this thread its not as long as you think to read skim through it but you will get a LOT of great info while you wait for that grinder to arrive

most likely the grind itself as in to fine to coarse or just to variable is the issue and you will hear over and over fresh beans

also make sure you are weighing your coffee the difference of 16 grams vs 18 grams is IMHO quite a bit and would mean a whole other grind setting for me on both my grinders ! so that weight prep is important and you can not judge that by a measuring spoon as a dark roast vs a light roast could even vary by that 2 gram difference :)

many here prefer the robot with the larger 21 gram dose and some prefer less say in 16 grams so its also important once you get your grinder to not worry that you can't get say 21 grams to work as again each of us have dif taste and beans and preferences
think of it like pizza :) you might like thinner crust more sauce less cheese than a friend its all personal ! that is the important thing try not to replicate someone else's settings etc... just use them as a guideline

without fresh beans and a decent grinder any machine is hard to get good espresso out of and consistency is based on a grinder that is consistent in its grind size and is often why nicer grinders cost more
many of the folks here me included the grinder is a very important piece and is often overlooked
also again dose by weight not a measurement

lots of folks to help here so sure you will get some other answers and again remember while some folks say one thing its not one is correct its all based on preferences when it comes to how much coffee and water temp or the preheat etc...

you will get it dialed in just takes a little bit of practice and doing it

hope this helps and again take the time to read through the thread its fun to do sit down with a cup of coffee and go for it

ojaw

#3326: Post by ojaw »

Up your dose.

Bombadilio

#3327: Post by Bombadilio »

Honu wrote:........
also make sure you are weighing your coffee the difference of 16 grams vs 18 grams is IMHO quite a bit and would mean a whole other grind setting for me on both my grinders ! so that weight prep is important and you can not judge that by a measuring spoon as a dark roast vs a light roast could even vary by that 2 gram difference :)

many here prefer the robot with the larger 21 gram dose and some prefer less say in 16 grams so its also important once you get your grinder to not worry that you can't get say 21 grams to work as again each of us have dif taste and beans and preferences

you will get it dialed in just takes a little bit of practice and doing it

hope this helps and again take the time to read through the thread its fun to do sit down with a cup of coffee and go for it

Really interesting... 21g ground!? What type of bean / roast?

If it helps I am LOVING the Love espresso bean at Cafune.ca
https://cafune.ca/collections/kaito-cof ... kaito-love

- Kinu grinder set to 1.6.1
- I like 16g ideally but I NEVER go over 18g.(on this bean)

Method:
Ground = 16-18g
WDT (using 2 nespresso stirrer rods from their Home Barista frother)
Tap to table
Tamp

Heat water to 202-207(boiling)
Pour water just near the top.

Insert portafilter into Robot
Pre infuse @ 1/2-1 bar for 15 sec

Then ramp to 6-8

I've found I like a long shot. However, today I measured it to 30g and noticed a difference than when I just use all of it.

My next test is to see if it makes a drastic taste in the cappuccino.

But you guys are really grinding north of 20g into this? When I do 18g and try to pull its like moving a turtle.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Jonk

#3328: Post by Jonk »

Bombadilio wrote:But you guys are really grinding north of 20g into this? When I do 18g and try to pull its like moving a turtle.
Sure, when I want to use the same grind I've used for Flair I need to use 25g in order to get any decent pressure, still possible to pull 1:2,5 ratio if you like. You'll have to adjust the grinder quite a bit, that's all.

Bombadilio

#3329: Post by Bombadilio » replying to Jonk »

Mine if I ask which coffee? I'd love to buy a bag to practice that as I have not found an instance where I needed that much and would love to replicate what your seeing.

So far if I go above 17/18g and bring the water a few mm from the end I need way too much pressure to just get it to flow out.

For example I tried a new bean today and tried 18g and at 10 bar of pressure I struggled for drops. I had to start over, reduce the water and then it flowed.

I've been trying to figure out if the clog in pressure is from too much water or too much in the portafilter

Jonk

#3330: Post by Jonk »

It's not about the beans, but the setting of your grinder. Try setting your Kinu to 2.0.0 for example.

The amount of water shouldn't have an impact - but when you fill almost all the way to the top you have better control of pressure and pressure/whether or not you pre-infuse has a big importance on resistance. Low pressure pre-infusion will saturate the puck with water and decrease resistance. If you skip pre-infusion and start at high pressure straight away the puck start mostly dry and display substantially higher resistance.

10 psi is actually very low pressure - perhaps you mean 10 bar?