Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 32

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Marcelnl

#311: Post by Marcelnl »

I've also noticed water in the tubing in one shot and none in the next, and some in others. My explanation is that it depends on chance if some or much water gets into the opening in the piston, which may be an effect of fill level or amount of disturbance of the water at the start of the shot.

Why not have the manufacturer of some scales adapt to a new industry standard, the Robot? :P

and same remark here, the build quality is stellar...I don't recall buying anything else that comes close in the past ten or so years (other than my kitchen knives but that can hardly be compared).
LMWDP #483

leveralex

#312: Post by leveralex »

Paul_Pratt wrote:
Re: scales. It looks like I will have to make a new die-cast tool for the main body and base so it should be possible to adjust the leg width so a popular scale could fit inbetween.
:oops: :mrgreen:

Little ones favorite color is blue, she loves the Robot, showed her the blue one... She made up a 10 points list on the fly why we absolutely need a 3rd Robot......

PS: yes the gauge is not really needed but just like with the Flair (much less actually with the Robot) it is just nice at the beginning and in times when your grind might just be off or the roast crap, grinder misaligned or so to get that confirmation / non-variability in your whole process to not do 100 shots in the sink because you keep changing 100 variables around. You can just do your pull, temperature will always be pretty much the same, channeling is almost impossible with the design etc pp. so its either grinder or roast if it just tastes off.

With the gauge the Robot just becomes such an extremely easy / repeatable machine.

leveralex

#313: Post by leveralex »

alexno wrote:I just stick one corner of my Lunar between the Robot's legs and put it in manual tare/start mode. Works for a 2oz shot glass. I've also found that I don't use the gauge as much as I thought I'd do, I just try to keep the flow at 1g/s by watching the numbers on the Lunar and trying to keep the weight equal to time.
Matter of fact since i forgot the Cinco in the other apartment that is what i am doing with the Lunar right now... Just put it on the silicon matt, put a little silicon cup thing on the Lunar, works ok, no mess, nothing to clean up. Grind + boil same time, shot down within a couple minutes, dump, wipe...done.

PS: Also a nice way to preheat for lighter but not too light roasts is to just open the lid of the water heater and put the portafilterholder / basket combo on top until it boils (dont forget it.....). Grind during the time, wipe off water, grounds in, pull shot. No messy business.

leveralex

#314: Post by leveralex »

AssafL wrote:One thing to be careful of is that unlike the Lunar, the Cinco is NOT impervious to water.

Lunar's main board is conformally coated so that water does not adversely affect it. (The H2O indication is when water drops "short" the capacitive touch sensors).

Cinco's board, however, isn't. It isn't hard to do (obviously have to mask the connectors and display with masking tape) but may affect any warrantee provided by Acaia.

Good to know thanks.... I put on a little round silicon cup mat over the Lunar / Cinco anyways to not have to clean it up all the time as its not really the water that has destroyed all the cheap scales over time but rather the coffee oils etc that skunk up buttons, pressure plate etc. Rarely have those cheap scales electronics died no matter how much i abused them.

IMAWriter

#315: Post by IMAWriter »

Not sure why, but (to ME) just eyeballing the shot, then stopping the process when I'm THERE seems a bit more "rustic." (Couldn't find another word)
On those occasions when I weigh post shot, I'm usually within .5 grams. After all, same cup, and I stick with the same coffee for a week, so I can see how it's aging, and the effects that has on my Sette and Robot. For me, it's all part of the adventure. FWIW, I've had only 1 sink shot, and it was operator malfunction. I poured the water into the basket/PF before inserting the filter! What a MESS! :oops:

arcus

#316: Post by arcus »

I have no issue facing the gauge when pressing down the arms; in fact, I've never even tried to push down from above as I like facing the machine and watching the extraction. Having said that, I'm only going up to 6 bar.

I do love the gauge as it really helped me get a consistent routine right away but I could have easily done the same without it.

sherrycobysam

#317: Post by sherrycobysam »

I have been using the robot since yesterday - simple version, shined aluminum.

Using Greg's Mahlgut MG-1, bought on our own buy/sell page, I pulled a delicious shot with my robot the very first time. Playing with the grinder, I did manage to choke the little guy, but even then waiting a couple of minutes, I was able to pull drinkable shot.

I am back to a good grind with Greg's help, and consistently delicious shots that have stood up to straight double shots, americano and latte. I am using 18 grams, and a little preinfusion, but I have no idea what pressure I am pulling. I try to count down slow to 20, and let my arms follow. Since I am using dark roast I don't see much difference between preheat and no preheat *and usually I am very fussy about coffee temp. This is just coming out great every time. I am glad I waited for the robot. Thank you Paul.

leveralex

#318: Post by leveralex »

arcus wrote:I have no issue facing the gauge when pressing down the arms; in fact, I've never even tried to push down from above as I like facing the machine and watching the extraction. Having said that, I'm only going up to 6 bar.

I do love the gauge as it really helped me get a consistent routine right away but I could have easily done the same without it.
6bar will be no issue for most people when facing the robot. 8+ bar will be harder for non trained people.

leveralex

#319: Post by leveralex »

arcus wrote:
exactly this. it just makes things consistent for everyone everytime but yes the robot is very forgiving especially with larger doses that you will always get something drinkable out of it. matter of fact the first shots that i did were kind of the best and i didnt really use the gauge at all with those just went with the flow (it was around 6-7, very little preinfusion)

Beanz

#320: Post by Beanz »

If you wish to see the gauge while extracting buy a cheap shaving mirror. The one I used has a stand and magnifies the image which is a bonus for this application. Use Sam's reverse machine method, Post 299, put the mirror in a position that allows a clear view of the Robot gauge. I used a water jug as a stand and managed a position where I could see the gauge with the arms fully extended up through to completion of the shot. Very comfortable position for extracting the shot and full visibility of the gauge throughout.