Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 31

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Nov 17, 2018, 1:09 am

drgary wrote:If this helps, I've used a Robot with and without a pressure gauge and don't feel it interfered with quality shot-making to go without. Once you get your dose, grind and temperature sorted out you do the rest by taste and feel. I tend to mimic the action of my spring lever, starting with a soft preinfusion with gentle pressure on the arms, then I bear down with some weight and pressure and gradually ease off. This method extracts the desired flavor and mouthfeel and minimizes overextraction. You develop a feel for it and watch the flow rate too.

My method exactly (^^^^), and I really don't even bother to look at the gauge any longer. Strangely, I see no water in the tubing when I'm pulling a shot..I try my reading glasses tomorrow.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

cebseb

Postby cebseb » Nov 17, 2018, 2:25 am

Color me impressed. Having fun testing out the new car camping setup.

Full stop. No half measures. Thankful to be in such a supportive community.
★ Helpful

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Nov 17, 2018, 3:33 am

This is like something out of AHS.

Perhaps next season Sarah Paulson can be a two headed freaky barista that measures EY with one head while steaming a half/half soy rice milk latte with the other. The two heads can then argue if to up dose or reduce temp.

Love AHS. The juxtaposition of the silliest (almost non-existent meandering) storytelling with stunningly good production values.
Caution! Water, heat, pressure and electricity don't mix! I want an espresso.

pj.walczak

Postby pj.walczak » Nov 17, 2018, 3:39 am

How do you guys do pre-inffusion?
Assuming I have 16 gram of coffee, medium roasted.

We allow the lever to drive down, and then, we leave it as it is, or we put some pressure (I assume we need some pressure, but is enough just to put hands on the levers)? How long should it take roughly, to see PF sweating, and then first drop appears in the cup?
Do you see the coffee appearing all over the portafilter or just in center during preinfussion?
---

Pawel

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Nov 17, 2018, 3:42 am

leveralex wrote:- acaia lunar doesnt fit between the legs... just by a few millimeter, i solved this by grabbing two acaia cinco editions (ridiculous solution money wise of course... you can just grab a $10 amazon scale that fits too), they complement the whole over the top and design aspect of the robot wonderfully especially swith their slide casing.

One thing to be careful of is that unlike the Lunar, the Cinco is NOT impervious to water.

Lunar's main board is conformally coated so that water does not adversely affect it. (The H2O indication is when water drops "short" the capacitive touch sensors).

Cinco's board, however, isn't. It isn't hard to do (obviously have to mask the connectors and display with masking tape) but may affect any warrantee provided by Acaia.

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Nov 17, 2018, 3:44 am

pj.walczak wrote:How do you guys do pre-inffusion?
Assuming I have 16 gram of coffee, medium roasted.

We allow the lever to drive down, and then, we leave it as it is, or we put some pressure (I assume we need some pressure, but is enough just to put hands on the levers)? How long should it take roughly, to see PF sweating, and then first drop appears in the cup?
Do you see the coffee appearing all over the portafilter or just in center during preinfussion?

Personally I do just a bit of pressure. I try to not get the manometer to move much.

And I try to get the drops to appear everywhere. Just like on the GS3.

pj.walczak

Postby pj.walczak » Nov 17, 2018, 3:53 am

Thanks, and roughly how long is your preinfussion time? With this light pressure how long does it take to have first drop in the cup?
---

Pawel

AssafL

Postby AssafL » replying to pj.walczak » Nov 17, 2018, 5:01 am

I think about 7-20 seconds. It isn't as accurate as on the GS3 as the water is poured on top and then I fiddle with the cup and scale and what-have-you. Lots of fiddling.... BTW - if you press harder, depending on the grind, it may take longer. There is some sweet spot in there.

BTW - While I am getting great results on the Robot - I am not getting as good results as I am on the GS3 (lighter crema, faster blonding etc.). Having chosen to believe that the espresso machines (obviously above a certain set of capabilities) do not really make a difference, I associate this difference with the Manual Grinder (Aergrind) vs. the Versalab and the more meticulous prep on the GS3 (distribution, grooming, the lot). Also, I have a bit more experience on the GS3 (Since 2009 :-) ).

bgn

Postby bgn » replying to AssafL » Nov 17, 2018, 11:48 am

Interesting. Why not try the versalab with the Robot and see if it brings it closer to the gs3 experience?

leveralex

Postby leveralex » replying to bgn » Nov 17, 2018, 2:03 pm

+1