Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 296

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jpender

#2951: Post by jpender »

Freddofl wrote:When you say plastic cup, is it a foam cup that you squeeze onto the piston?

No, it's an old plastic measuring cup. It holds about 260g of water when filled to 1cm of the rim. I prop it up with a little storage jar so it sits as high as possible. Since it's heated in the microwave the cup itself doesn't steal any heat. In fact, sometimes the water is slightly superheated and boils when the piston is lowered into it.

Jeff
Team HB

#2952: Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the visual as well as what seems like "works as well as other options".

I happened to pick up some silicone muffin cups on the close-out rack of a local store and use a similar functional, though inelegant approach. As the cups are flexible, I pour water from the kettle into it with the piston in place. Removing it, once lifting the piston, requires great care, as the water is still scalding hot.

A rigid cup looks like a better approach.

hoxha

#2953: Post by hoxha »

Hi all, new owner here-really happy to finally get my hands on a Robot. (And a red one, no less!)

I've read a fair amount of this thread, but certainly not all ~3k posts, so please do forgive me if this has been covered and I missed it. I'm using a Comandante, and I"m just... having some trouble getting a properly even distribution in the basket, possibly due to having to dump the jar into the basket rather than being able to grind directly into it. I've tried various combinations of tapping, shaking, WDT (though apparently the sewing needles I have are a bit big to be useful for this, so I have some smaller ones on the way), and while the shots are often pretty good, I can sometimes taste and usually see and that the extraction is just not even, especially toward the end of the shot.

This might seem kind of absurd, but does anybody who can't grind directly into the basket have any tips about getting a properly even distribution once they've transferred their grounds over? I'm losing my mind!

jpender

#2954: Post by jpender »

I don't why transferring the grinds would matter. Should it? I dump the grinds into the basket, stir vigorously for a few seconds with a broken bamboo skewer, shake to level, tamp. That's it. Works well almost all of the time.

Maybe it's your grinder?

Jonk

#2955: Post by Jonk »

In my experience transferring grounds is beneficial if anything. The Comandante shouldn't be the problem either, perhaps you're not stirring enough?

Jeff
Team HB

#2956: Post by Jeff »

hoxha wrote:I can sometimes taste and usually see and that the extraction is just not even, especially toward the end of the shot.

This might seem kind of absurd, but does anybody who can't grind directly into the basket have any tips about getting a properly even distribution once they've transferred their grounds over? I'm losing my mind!
Your point about three threads getting long and hard to read is true. With such a specific question, perhaps start a thread.

Seeing what you're seeing in a brief cell-phone video of stills would help. It may be that you're chasing defects that many people consider normal to them.
★ Helpful

Honu

#2957: Post by Honu »

hoxha wrote:Hi all, new owner here-really happy to finally get my hands on a Robot. (And a red one, no less!)

I've read a fair amount of this thread, but certainly not all ~3k posts, so please do forgive me if this has been covered and I missed it. I'm using a Comandante, and I"m just... having some trouble getting a properly even distribution in the basket, possibly due to having to dump the jar into the basket rather than being able to grind directly into it. I've tried various combinations of tapping, shaking, WDT (though apparently the sewing needles I have are a bit big to be useful for this, so I have some smaller ones on the way), and while the shots are often pretty good, I can sometimes taste and usually see and that the extraction is just not even, especially toward the end of the shot.

using my comondante grinder I just dump the grinds into the filter since the glass fits perfect no stirring (did try it found not needed) then a small side to side shake to level then tamp
if it needed a stir I would but tried both many times made no difference in the cup or watching the bottom of the filter or in the cup look ?

curious what it is you see that does not look good to ya ?

could be the beans etc... ? fresh beans from various places like 49th or dragonfly or klatch or ..... but used up usually within 5-7 days of receiving or frozen in amounts I use in about 5-7 days

Charlemagne

#2958: Post by Charlemagne » replying to Honu »

Some things to try:
Shake your grinder after you grind but before you transfer into the PF. This will homogenize the particle size mix.
Don't WDT all the way through the coffee bed - try raking at half depth with the intent on making the top surface level.
When preinfusing, ramp to 2 bar over 3 seconds then hold for 5-7s more. (this helped tremendously for me)

PS. you can make an excellent WDT tool by shoving 4 acupuncture/3D printer needles into a cork.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2959: Post by yakster »

I just grind into my Vario's coffee bin, shake it up a bit, then pour it into the basket before tamping. I do also shake the basket a bit to help level the bed. I think agitating the grounds before pouring as has been already mentioned really helps and with my Vario I haven't found the need to do any WDT. My dissecting needle serves only to unclog my kitchen faucet's spray head these days.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

hoxha

#2960: Post by hoxha »

Thanks for the advice, everyone-the suggestion that I hadn't heard (and thus hadn't tried) previously was to only WDT the top ~half of the grinds before tamping, and that seems to have helped (that + a new coffee, possibly...). So right now what I'm doing is:

1. Grind into jar
2. Shake and tap jar to get everything loose
3. Put basket on top of jar; flip to empty
4. Shake side to side to level
5. Rake top to remove clumps
6. Tap on counter
7. Tamp

Easier done than said, in this case, but best to list it all out I suppose. I think that these have been the best so far! The first video below is at a 6 on the C40, and the second is at a 7, both at a 17:38 ratio, pulling in ~40 and ~30 seconds respectively. Kind of thinking a "6.5" might be good, as the 7 pulled a little too "easily", by feel... the red clix is staring at me, but I'll keep playing around with this for a while.

Onward...