Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 295

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bombadilio

#2941: Post by Bombadilio »

Freddofl wrote:Question to those that got a robot recently: does it now come with the pressure gauge that screws/unscrews or is it still bonded?

I got mine hoping it would not be bonded but sadly is bonded on :sad:

In other news my first oull was really watery.

Going to read back as my kinu was set to 2.0.2 then I out 16g of beans and 60g of water.

Any quick suggestions? Had saved other people's presets after hours of reading but seems it did ot save :twisted:
hobomotorhome wrote:I believe you are grinding way too fine. I have the exact same setup, though no grinders are the exactly the same settings. I grind 2 full rotations plus at least another half rotation from burrs touching, 2.5+/- full rotations. Let the beans and taste dictate from there. I use light pressure ~1/2 bar, till the bottom is fully beaded and a drop or two falls, takes 5 or 10 seconds, then 30-40 seconds for the rest of the pull. on occasion including pre-infusion total time is about 1 minute. Let taste dictate, if it tastes good and its a little longer or shorter, no matter, it tastes good.
[]
Maybe I did it too fast let me try again.

Edit: tried again it seems I feel no resistance and water drops on the sides.

Do you feel resistance with the pressure? It seems to push right through

Balthazar_B

#2942: Post by Balthazar_B »

Bombadilio wrote: In other news my first oull was really watery.

Going to read back as my kinu was set to 2.0.2 then I out 16g of beans and 60g of water.

Any quick suggestions? Had saved other people's presets after hours of reading but seems it did ot save :twisted:
Up your dose to 17g and grind finer. If the shot totally chokes during the pull, back off the grinder setting slightly and then try again. If you think you're getting channeling, focus on prep as per some recent advice:
  • Tap the basket to settle the grounds
  • WDT the top half of the grounds
  • Nutate gently with the tamper, and then tamp level (but not too hard)
  • Lay the screen on the coffee bed, and then gently add water so as not to disturb the puck
  • Insert the portafilter, and apply equal pressure to both arms of the Robot, first gently to preinfuse, then harder to pull the shot.
Practice makes perfect. Shouldn't take too long to dial everything in.
- John

LMWDP # 577
★ Helpful

Bombadilio

#2943: Post by Bombadilio replying to Balthazar_B »

Let me try this. I think one of my issues is there is no push back. I was expecting for the pressure gauge to not stay at 0 as everyone talks about pressure.

Does your robot have resistance at all when you try to pull?

I wrote this to Paul in case it was my device. But here is my method so far. All in all the espresso comes out black with no creme. It feels as if I let go of the hands they will just drop to the bottom with 0 resistance

My model is the barista edition in baby blue and the espresso comes out super fast at 16-17g of beans to 60g of water.

My method:
1. Measure 16g of beans with Kinu M47 at 2.0.1
2. Heat water to 200F
3. Heat basket / portafiler
4. insert grinds to basket and tap - shake then use a paperclip to disperse
5. Tamper lightly with new tamper
6. Place Basket into Porta filter basket thing
7. Add 60g of water lightly in a circle (some sediment still pops up
8. Place into Robot gently as it goes in loose.
9. Then I pull down very lightly until the first drop. I then hold as if I let go the arms will just snap to the bottom
10. No matter how hard I try or how long all I get is black drops no creme and the bars of pressure read 0.

Any ideas? Since I really thought I should get resistance or the gauge saying something outside of 0. I can go to the store and buy more grinds.

Any help appreciated!

Jonk

#2944: Post by Jonk »

Fill the basket with water almost all the way to the top - it will result in much better feedback to the levers. I hope you're using the shower screen as well.

If you still have little to no resistance, grind finer until you do. Not that difficult really..

Ken5

#2945: Post by Ken5 »

Bombadilio wrote:
1. Measure 16g of beans with Kinu M47 at 2.0.1
I have my kinu m47 classic set to 1.4.2 for one bean, and even had to go down to 1.0.0 for another bean. I have been trying 18 g doses.

Paper that came with my kinu said to start at 1.5 and adjust from there.

Ken
★ Helpful

Bombadilio

#2946: Post by Bombadilio »

Appreciate everyone's feedback will try these methods.

I put the grounds into the press and in then the shower metal filter on top. Someone wrote I should paper filter in first but I don't need both so I?

Jonk

#2947: Post by Jonk »

No, you don't need to use the paper filter if you use the metal shower screen.

Some people use both to make sure pouring the water doesn't disturb the puck, but I'm guessing most of us don't. Just be a little careful with the pour, if the water turns almost black something went wrong but some fines/brown is normal.

If truly no resistance, it sounds like your gasket is not working. Perhaps it has gotten dislodged or needs to be re-lubricated.

Jonk

#2948: Post by Jonk »

But then there would be basically no coffee dripping out from the bottom of the basket either, only some water escaping from the top.

Bombadilio

#2949: Post by Bombadilio »

I got resistance finally :)

I went to:
Kinu M47. 1.4.2 on a peruvian bean that I really liked ground at 2.0.2 for my Bialetti Moka. I guess I expected that it would be the same setting oddly. I also tried a decaf bean at one point as I didnt want to ruin some of my really good expensive beans when I am just trying the machine out as I figured a lot would go to waste.

Method:
1. 17g of coffee Kinu m47 set at 1.4.2
2. Filled water to the top minus a centimeter.

I GOT RESISTANCE! Oh boy finally. I followed Pauls video
Once I felt the resistance I kept the preinfusion and held where I felt the first drops of coffee for 5-10 seconds.

I kept the pressure on at about 6-8. It oddly seemed to all drip into the center with one big drip vs from all sides. I did not get any creme either.

It tasted really bitter so I am going to try again moving the grind a lit higher.
Will report back on round 10! I think bloom is when you see the creme forming right? I SO APPRECIATE all of your help guys! I really want to figure this one out. I know all of you (hopefully me at one point) think its easy with trial and error but I just did so much research and thought it would be much easier at this point lol!

Can't wait to be one of you all who takes a video when I am done. Super excited to figure this out.

My end use is really for a good espresso shot and some good Cappuccino's / flat whites. Do you guys have any favorite bean types you like to grind with the Kinu for this machine?

Would love to get a baseline like a 3 michelin star recipe to master so I can better learn where to fluctuate.

I am going to try again and also will re-read the walk thru by Mr.Mostly

EDIT:

Went back and upped the bean to 1.6
It seemed a lot of the resistance went away and I found it (I am a strong guy) hard to keep it over 4 bars as the levers would come down too fast.

However!!!! I FINALLY got some creme. Going to go back and read more on blooming since all of the holes were dripping but I saw a few videos that had this beautiful color to them.

The only caveat I am seeing with this machine is it feels like I have to stay on my knees to use it vs being able to stand as I cant see the pressure gauge when standing. IT looks so cool though in the kitchen :D

Ken5

#2950: Post by Ken5 »

Bombadilio wrote:I got resistance finally :)
Glad it worked for you!