Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 29

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
leveralex

#281: Post by leveralex »

As for the mouth feel thickness. I have read that in a couple other posts.

Right now i only have access to a bit lighter coffee and my Kinu M47 here isn't really the best for espresso (perfect alignment, build quality etc but the other burr is not concentric...) so not sure if that is due to equipment or the relationship of basket design (holes, diameter etc) to how the water column presses on the puck + the shower screen design (expansion of puck different than in pump machine?)

Anyone has a similar issue, has a few hints to get it more syrupy without too much overextraction?

evert

#282: Post by evert »

My Robot loses pressure right away, the arms just fall down and water spills out from outside the portafilter.
Please help a frustrated guy!

Is it the silicone seal that needs some attention?

I'm reading about Dow 111 in the manual, are all silicone fats safe to use?

/Evert

Advertisement
leveralex

#283: Post by leveralex »

evert wrote:My Robot loses pressure right away, the arms just fall down and water spills out from outside the portafilter.
Please help a frustrated guy!

/Evert
The only way i could really see this happen is two ways:

1) Check if the silicon seal at the bottonm of the piston (let arms hang loose without portafilter locked in) is ok and without portafilter check if it seals when you try to stick the lone basket on it from below

2) If you have the barista version check if the tube is loose inside the housing (use light to and look from above / wiggle tubing slightly) and check for water on top of piston ( there should be none). Check if outside of piston is wet.

evert

#284: Post by evert »

leveralex wrote:The only way i could really see this happen is two ways:

1) Check if the silicon seal at the bottom of the piston (let arms hang loose without portafilter locked in) is ok and without portafilter check if it seals when you try to stick the lone basket on it from below

2) If you have the barista version check if the tube is loose inside the housing (use light to and look from above / wiggle tubing slightly) and check for water on top of piston ( there should be none). Check if outside of piston is wet.
The piston seems to seal, but how tight should it be? I can let the pf hang from the piston from just the sealing, but it's not very tight.

No water on top of the piston.

leveralex

#285: Post by leveralex replying to evert »

Then from my uneducated opinion it can only be the silicon seal unless your basket is warped, deeply scratched on inside.

Paul is probably the better person to answer this but I have to push it on with some force definitely and the force stays while pushing it up. Pulling it off should be easier. Inspect the seal if there is any crack, deformation, loss in rigidity in an area. Also if it doesnt seal properly the piston walls should be wet (if it seals they should be dry except for maybe a little bit of condensation from prior to locking in).

You could probably put a bit of tissue or even just the old coffee with screen in the basket and then fill with water and try to push it onto the piston again without portafilter. That would show you if it doesn't seal. You will probably need to push it on with at least some kind of alignment at least. It might not seal of angled. Does your piston wiggle in all directions? (It should to auto align itself into the basket on pushing down).

evert

#286: Post by evert »

is it supposed to be water in the plastic tube leading up to the pressure gauge?

leveralex

#287: Post by leveralex replying to evert »

yes normal

Advertisement
pj.walczak

#288: Post by pj.walczak »

Received mine finally yesterday.
Did few shots today, using medium roasted coffee. I dose 15-16 grams, with grind settings bit coarser then I do for my LR.
I still have bit under-extracted shots, with very thin light crema. All are drinkable, but still far from well extracted spring lever shots.
I wonder what should I do better? Grind finer? Push harder so I have higher pressure? Or maybe heat the PF before the shot?
---

Pawel

Balthazar_B

#289: Post by Balthazar_B »

leveralex wrote: - above 6bar most people will have to lean over the machine to get a constant e.g. 8 bar pressure going till the end, you cant really see the gauge in that position anymore, i will probably see if i can come up with a adjustable thing for the gauge
Rather than some fancy right-angled replacement bracket -- which I'm sure Paul will come up with at some point -- I wonder whether affixing a small mirror will do the trick in the meantime. Thinking one about the size of what the dentist sticks in your mouth would fit the bill.
- John

LMWDP # 577

leveralex

#290: Post by leveralex replying to Balthazar_B »

Yes it is just a very very minor thing anyways. You can still kind of see the gauge a bit and know where you are accurately enough by twisting your head a bit.