Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 280

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jpender

#2791: Post by jpender »

Balthazar_B wrote:TL;DR: You will get the most bang for your BTUs preheating the piston, especially for successive shots.
I wouldn't say that. They do different things. Preheating the basket and PF together increases the initial temperature whereas preheating the piston mainly slows the rate of temperature decline. The average temperature over the course of a shot is about the same between those two but the profiles are different. Which is better: a higher start temperature or a more consistent temperature?

And with successive shots the piston is already preheated. It retains heat for a long time. If you can reload and pull another shot within a minute or maybe two you get the most of the advantage of a manually preheated piston for free. Paul demonstrated that in a video a year and half ago.

Here's what the piston temperature looks like, from pre-infusion to nearly 9 minutes after the portafilter was removed from the Robot. This is from the view of a probe placed against the inner wall of the piston face:

jpender

#2792: Post by jpender »

ojaw wrote:Just pot calling the pot - I still prefer the pour longer method, too easy!
What's the "pour longer" method? Is that the same as the "overflow" method, where you keep pouring water as it overflows the basket?

How long do you pour? How much water? (I'm still doing temperature experiments....)

ojaw

#2793: Post by ojaw replying to jpender »

Yah the same. I steadily pour water for 3-4 seconds after it hits the top of the basket (held at an angle).
No idea how much water.

jpender

#2794: Post by jpender »

ojaw wrote:No idea how much water.
Oh, you must have an idea. A rough estimate.

Would it be enough to fill the basket again? Or maybe twice that amount? Or more?

ojaw

#2795: Post by ojaw »

Sorry man, I really don't know.
You could experiment for yourself by holding the PF and basket over a container while filling it, counting to four, and then measuring the volume...
I just know this works for me with virtually no interruption to the flow of things.

Jeff
Team HB

#2796: Post by Jeff »

I'm in the "oh, a few seconds down the left, a few down the right" category as well. Bonavita gooseneck kettle at just off local boil, 208 F / 98 C. For me, the Robot is my no-thinking machine.

Around 50-100 ml each side would be my guess, pouring into a measuring cup from the kettle just now.

equedadoii

#2797: Post by equedadoii »

baristainzmking wrote:Oh no! A red one finally coming!!! I may just have to add a red to my little yellow.....
Yes! I just got me a non-barista off-white this week, I'd trade me one for a red all day!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2798: Post by yakster »

Jeff wrote:Around 50-100 ml each side would be my guess, pouring into a measuring cup from the kettle just now.
Just be careful first thing in the morning before you've had coffee not to burn yourself.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ojaw

#2799: Post by ojaw »

Got a little singe once when I forgot to place the basket in the portafilter before pouring the hot water over it.
'Man, this seems hotter than usuowowowow!'.

jpender

#2800: Post by jpender »

That's one of the reasons the pour more approach isn't my preferred method. Gave myself a second degree burn that way one time.