Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 265

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Uno

#2641: Post by Uno »

Tzuyu wrote:What grinder are you using? What is your routine when pulling your shot?
I am using a Eureka Mignon Specialità, I usually grind between 16-18g, distribute the grounds with a pin, press the coffee, put the screen and pour boiling water leaving about 1cm from the edge of the basket. Then I usually preinfuse for about 10 seconds, ramp up the pressure up to 6 bar and then I ramp down to finish it.
gsaleh wrote:Have you tried distributing your grounds with a pin? I received my Robot today and found that I had quiet a bit of channeling on my first few shots as I was dialing in. I found that breaking the clumps using a tooth pick helped with this.

What grinder are you using?
Yep! And I use a Eureka Mignon Specialità

Tzuyu

#2642: Post by Tzuyu »

You can purchase WDT tool or use toothpick.

coffeepress
Supporter ♡

#2643: Post by coffeepress »

jatem wrote:Is it worth buying a spare basket, or are they thick enough that they'll last forever?
I have an extra basket so that I can do two shots back to back faster. Don't always do it this way, but for the most part it does help.

The basket does seem to be durable. I don't think you should have issues on that front.

Jonk

#2644: Post by Jonk »

Uno wrote:My Robot has been spraying coffee everywhere every time I make a shot, and this issue doesn't seem affected by the grind size or coffee quantity. Has anyone encountered a similar problem or has any ideas what's going wrong?
Happens if I skip WDT. Unimodal light roasts could also be problematic.. Perhaps try to examine your distribution technique or just use the bottom insert.

Nate42

#2645: Post by Nate42 »

Uno wrote:My Robot has been spraying coffee everywhere every time I make a shot, and this issue doesn't seem affected by the grind size or coffee quantity. Has anyone encountered a similar problem or has any ideas what's going wrong?
THere is no real reason for the robot to make any more of a mess than any other machine. It should be more forgiving actually since you can preinfuse and control pressure ramp up.

The answer is likely to grind finer and/or distribute better. And I second everyone saying to use some sort of WDT (stir with a thin tool).

You aren't by chance using the pressurized basket are you? That one should only be used with with spouts, if you use it bottomless it will make a mess every time.

sems

#2646: Post by sems »

Also, you can try introducing preinfusion to your recipe to help with sprays. I found that it helps with my shots.

jpender

#2647: Post by jpender »

Uno said he's stirring with a pin and preinfusing. So who knows. Still, a grind and/or distribution issue is the mostly likely explanation.

I'm curious how you make the coffee spray everywhere. I've never seen that despite the Robot being my first-ever experience with making espresso. What do I do? Grind really coarse, push the grounds off to one side in the basket, skip preinfusion, and crank as hard as I can? Would that do it?

ojaw

#2648: Post by ojaw »

Here's a dumb question - anyone know how close the colour match is between my blue Robot and the Eureka Mignon Silenzio in the similar shade? Alternately, Paul what is the RAL for the blue Robot? Thanks.

Uno

#2649: Post by Uno »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I'll try to grind finer (currently I am using a 1 on the Eureka, it should be already pretty fine right?) and change my WDT. Reflecting upon this I think the issue may be due to the coffe roast or its roasting date, so I'll also buy a different one and see how it goes.

gsaleh

#2650: Post by gsaleh »

A couple of days using the Robot and I can say that I am extremely satisfied. I've pulled some of the best espresso shots I have ever tasted on it.

Lovely work flow, which fits my needs perfectly. Minimal prep and minimal fuss for exceptional results in the cup.

Just a side question, but the number on the bottom of the machine, is this how many were made?