Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 253

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Paul_Pratt

#2521: Post by Paul_Pratt »

jpender wrote:Not according to the new Robot manual. It says that 8 bar requires 48.8lbs.

I tested this myself and found that 44lbs produced 7 bar, at first, which is pretty close to what the new manual says. But as arms go down the angle changes. Further along on the pull I was getting less than 6 bar from the 44lbs (dead weight).

All that said it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to question the pressure gauge if a weak press causes a rapid flow.
You know I just realised earlier this week the pressure/weight table does not mention where the person is holding it. I should add I am measuring from where the main arms meets the robot claw and I will update the manual accordingly.

I had a crazy plan to make the base into a scale, an analog scale if possible that would show both weight and pressure. It would really speed up my production and eliminate pressure system issues and enquiries. But a) no one would take the project on and b) the readings will differ unless you are holding the arms at the same point as everyone else :shock: So back to the drawing board.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#2522: Post by baristainzmking »

Ok, all you talented folks. Has anyone come up with a way to make the new leveling tamper fit/stay in the robot's hand? :D
Julia

Jonk

#2523: Post by Jonk »

Freddofl: It's less of a hassle to achieve high temperatures with a Pavoni (with the big drawback that you can/will reach too high temperatures as well)

I guess I also prefer low dose shots on a Pavoni. On every other count Robot has it beat as far as I'm concerned: ease of use, cleaning, flexibility, maintenance.

CoffeeIsJoy: generally these levers do well with a finer grind.

YeetSkeeterson

#2524: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

I cannot believe how good of a shot I just had on my Robot and I've been making various espresso with different machines for around a year now, including a prior stint with the Robot. This was my first time experimenting with a majority lower pressure shot instead of the usual ramp down near the end.

I preheated the basket but putting it on top of the Fellow Stagg EKG... 18g coffee ground in Kinu M47, I went finer than usual. Then I put in 60g of water.

15 second preinfusion with a few drops coming out, ramped it up to 8 bars for 5 seconds, down to 7 bars for 5 seconds, then 6 bars for most of the shot (about 15 seconds). Result was 36g of espresso, filled a Kruve Propel espresso glass to the line and half the volume was crema at least.

I mean wow. I FINALLY tasted perfect clarity in a shot. There was nothing there besides the coffee itself, perfectly, like putting on a pair of glasses with blurry vision. The aftertaste was subtle flavor of the fresh Brazil Sul De Minas beans, not generic "coffee" flavor, the acidity and bitterness canceled each other out leaving nothing but the pure taste of espresso and a hint of creamy caramel

Edit : nice to see a few new accessories for the Robot... just today after declumping with that La Pavoni WDT tool, I had been wanting a leveling tamper!

jpender

#2525: Post by jpender »

Paul_Pratt wrote:You know I just realised earlier this week the pressure/weight table does not mention where the person is holding it. I should add I am measuring from where the main arms meets the robot claw and I will update the manual accordingly.

I had a crazy plan to make the base into a scale, an analog scale if possible that would show both weight and pressure. It would really speed up my production and eliminate pressure system issues and enquiries. But a) no one would take the project on and b) the readings will differ unless you are holding the arms at the same point as everyone else :shock: So back to the drawing board.
I forgot to mention that as well. When I hung 10kg weights on each arm I tied them to the same claw/arm junction that you're talking about.

How did you actually create your graph? Was it calculated? Did you hang weights like I did? Or did you pull a few shots with your hands and do a linear best fit?

When I pull shots my hands are not in one spot. They are spread out over the arm/claw area. I don't know what a bathroom scale would read. If the average of where my hands sit were off by 2cm that would translate to a difference of almost 1 bar. Additionally, as the shot progresses, the pressure decreases for a given downward force because of the angle of the arms. So it seems to me that using a bathroom scale is inherently imprecise. But good enough to get within a couple of bar and hence get the feel of it.

A scale in the base? Although not to estimate the pressure this guy did that.

sems

#2526: Post by sems »

Guys I did it. Today I bent my screen nipple so it's like 60 degrees angle, It was wiggling for some time and today finally it died. I'll wait for the newer iteration of screen filter that will be flat, and order couple of that. In the meanwhile paper filters it is.

Something was off about that filter screen from the day 1. I guess I got a dud, and I don't blame Paul the product, I get that it is a fragile part. Don't get it wrong. Just wanted to share, and I love Robot and the espresso it makes. My living situation is a tough one as I can't really settle down, grab a couple thousand dollar lever machine and enjoy it. Thank you Paul for making such an awesome product that is portable enough and makes killer espresso!

aut0maticdan

#2527: Post by aut0maticdan »

The tampers are back in stock.

I put together a nice kit last night with a white barista, leveling tamper, both baskets and extras of everything. Really looking forward to it. I'll be pairing with an EG-1 (Core and Ultra Burrs). 8) But can do some comparisons with Lido ET and a Vario Ceramic that I also own, if anyone is interested.

I've been mostly heavy on v60s for years but do occasionally pull shots on my really old Silvia and parent's La Spaziale (they have a cafelat tamper). My first home machine was a la pavoni which I bought used/cheap, fixed, loved, passed on to a friend and have missed!

I do plan to build a coffee bar in a new house this fall and get a profiling machine like a ECM or Decent or Lelit, but I can just tell the robot is something I will love and cherish long after I buy something more expensive. Maybe it will ultimately save me $3K!

Best

GW2K

#2528: Post by GW2K »

I also put in an order when the tamper upgrade became available. I currently have a Lido 2 with Italian burrs, I am curious to see how much work that is going to be. Please report how the Lido ET works out with the Robot.

Honu

#2529: Post by Honu »

Level tamper back in :)

Order placed( green pro basket) for my Bday to me !

Sold my Elektra A3 a while back and wanting to get back into espresso (got into other methods for a while) and want to be very minimal and non electric as much as I can
Now to figure out just which hand grinder I want :)
Ordered extra gasket and piston seal figure have on hand did not order more or extra basket
Figure he might come out with some other cool stuff in a year or two then order what I feel I would need then

Curious those who have had a while anyone have to replace the silicone piston/seal ? Seems they would last a While (year or more) ?

violin_geek123

#2530: Post by violin_geek123 » replying to Honu »

Reports (and Paul) say they should last a long time if well-kept. The Robot does come with an extra gasket in the accessories box, though, so you should be good!

Congrats and happy birthday!
Brian Hong