Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 26

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#251: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Scoring the frame does not affect the filter basket, which acts as the cylinder. That's the part where the piston gasket makes a seal. A scratch on the inside of the frame isn't going to cause rust either because it's aluminum and also isn't likely to stay wet and get corroded.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

cerise

#252: Post by cerise »

I took the robot apart as I wanted to know if the stuck bolt had damaged anything inside. As @drgary describes, this luckily wasn't the case - except for some scratches.
Reassembly wasn't too difficult. The robot lying on it's back, the two holes at the ends of the 'scissors' can be aligned to fit the bolt by peeking through the hole in the piston and manipulating the levers and upper parts of the 'scissors' at the robot's shoulders...

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
purpledad

#253: Post by purpledad »

Hey Paul, any idea on when the pressure gauge will be available to buy? I want to get another basket and shower screen, but I've been waiting so I don't have to pay shipping twice.

marimo0746

#254: Post by marimo0746 »

Last night, after I extracted the coffee and lifted the arm to the top, the arm did't stay at the top position. I tried several times, few times it worked but most dropped. Then after I removed the PF for cleaning and tried to place the robot back, the problem was suddenly solved and seemed like everything is normal.
However, it just happened again this morning. It's not easy to let the arm stay at the top position when the PF (and basket) is on the robot. I tried to lift it with different speed but nothing changed. Is there any tip I missed? It just worked well before last night.

Paul_Pratt

#255: Post by Paul_Pratt »

marimo0746 wrote:Last night, after I extracted the coffee and lifted the arm to the top, the arm did't stay at the top position. I tried several times, few times it worked but most dropped. Then after I removed the PF for cleaning and tried to place the robot back, the problem was suddenly solved and seemed like everything is normal.
However, it just happened again this morning. It's not easy to let the arm stay at the top position when the PF (and basket) is on the robot. I tried to lift it with different speed but nothing changed. Is there any tip I missed? It just worked well before last night.
The design is that the arms are supposed to be loose. It was always intended that you should have to hold the arms up when you insert the portafilter. I assembled these so that there is a bit of resistance at the top which helped it stay up and so kept it. Since it is metal on metal they will wear in and become nice and loose.
purpledad wrote:Hey Paul, any idea on when the pressure gauge will be available to buy? I want to get another basket and shower screen, but I've been waiting so I don't have to pay shipping twice.
We are still full filling the backlog of our webshop orders first. When we finish those we will sit down and look at the spares. What I am more concerned about though is sorting out the procedure for installing the kit.

marimo0746

#256: Post by marimo0746 »

Paul_Pratt wrote:The design is that the arms are supposed to be loose. It was always intended that you should have to hold the arms up when you insert the portafilter. I assembled these so that there is a bit of resistance at the top which helped it stay up and so kept it. Since it is metal on metal they will wear in and become nice and loose.
Oh, I just saw the arm just stay up during the operation in some of your videos,while you did tamping or fill water...etc., thus I assumed it's supposed to be there. And it actually did after I lifted it in past one week. That's why I'm confused when it not being like that. Although I still prefer it stay up since it's more convenient especially when I finish the extracting. I can just lift it up and stop the coffee out. Then I can taste the coffee first instead of dealing with the remaining water.

NickD

#257: Post by NickD »

marimo0746 wrote:... Although I still prefer it stay up since it's more convenient especially when I finish the extracting. I can just lift it up and stop the coffee out. Then I can taste the coffee first instead of dealing with the remaining water.
This might have already occurred to you, but one suggestion might be to keep a small cup or bowl close by. When you're done pulling the shot, quickly switch out the espresso filled demitasse for your bowl to catch the drips, and enjoy your coffee!

(Using a cup to catch drips is fairly standard for home lever espresso machines, since they don't have a mechanism to release pressure and stop dripping when the shot is completed.)

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
vit

#258: Post by vit »

NickD wrote:Using a cup to catch drips is fairly standard for home lever espresso machines, since they don't have a mechanism to release pressure and stop dripping when the shot is completed.
Well, this one does ...

marimo0746

#259: Post by marimo0746 »

NickD wrote:Using a cup to catch drips is fairly standard for home lever espresso machines, since they don't have a mechanism to release pressure and stop dripping when the shot is completed.
vit wrote:Well, this one does ...
YESYES!
One of the advantage of ROBOT is EASY to choose when to stop the extraction.
The guide book said : "The coffee will stop extracting at this point - a tip to prevent any drips is to lift the levers a fraction and it will suck back the water and stop the flow."

That's why I miss the status that the arm can stay up.

NickD

#260: Post by NickD » replying to marimo0746 »

Ah, yes, I understand what you're saying. My point was just that if your arms aren't staying up, and you want to drink your coffee before purging the excess water, then one an option would be to just use a catch cup for the drips.

I see your point, though, that if the arms stayed up by themselves, it would make a couple of things easier. I also understand why Paul didn't design the arms for this, even though he managed to get some robots to hold their arms up by carefully assembling them.