Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 237

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
davidhunternyc

#2361: Post by davidhunternyc »

I wish people would post shot recipes here. For instance:

1. Use 18 grams of Paradise Espresso Nuevo coffee / med-dark roast
2.10 second pre-infusion at 2 bars
3. Ramp up to 8 bars, hold for 5 seconds
4. Slow ramp down pull from 8 bars to 1 bar for 30 seconds

Total pull time = 45 seconds

Obviously your coffee beans, roast, grind, tamping, etc., are going to affect the recipe. But hopefully we can find some agreed upon recipes that will reduce channeling, spraying, and bitter espresso. Recipe's are beginnings, not ends.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2362: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave replying to davidhunternyc »

Sounds like a good idea. I can give you my general starting point with the caveat that at this point I don't really time my shots too often anymore. 1. 18-20 grams of medium roasted beans. 2. 5-10 ish seconds of pre-infusion. 3. ramp up to 8-9 bar until I get to about 20 mg. 4. Drop to 7 bar for about 10 mg. 5. ramp down to 5.5-6 bar until 36-40 mgs. When I timed this it was running in the neighborhood of around 35 seconds.

Advertisement
mkane
Supporter ♡

#2363: Post by mkane »

18r coffee-medium roast ground @ setting 15 Niche
15 sec pre using forearms
35 sec pull
total time 50 sec.

Impressive, super easy to clean and it easily fit's in the upper cabinet

Birofunk

#2364: Post by Birofunk »

1. 17-18 grams generally on the lighter side of medium (pre heat if lighter, no need if medium)
2. Dose from grounds bin into portafilter using an Aeropress funnel. Shake and tap counter. Light tamp. Press screen down.
3. Water @ 100°C
3.10-12 second pre-infusion at 2 bars
4. Ramp up to 6 bars and hold
5. Slow ramp down for the last couple of seconds
6. Generally hit a 1:2.5 ratio and get the bright sweet shots I like drinking!

Nate42

#2365: Post by Nate42 »

I like the idea of posting recipes but maybe it should be it's own topic instead of at the end of a 200+ page megathread?

ojaw

#2366: Post by ojaw replying to Nate42 »

This, plus there have been many virtual recipes posted here already. I feel you gotta find your own recipe with this machine since circumstances, coffee, climate and preferences will always be different for each user.

sergiyr

#2367: Post by sergiyr »

Can anyone confirm if the Acaia Pearl S can fit with the corner tucked in between the supports? It seems like the Model S uses four rubber feet at the corners as opposed to the regular Pearl which has a flat base. I'm thinking even if it fits it will be wobbly as only one foot is resting on a flat surface while the other three are hanging. I had ordered this one hoping that it could be useful for espresso and a multi cup pour over but seems like there isn't one scale to do it all even for >$200.

Advertisement
MNate

#2368: Post by MNate »

sergiyr wrote:I had ordered this one hoping that it could be useful for espresso and a multi cup pour over but seems like there isn't one scale to do it all even for >$200.
Argh, I decided to check the dimensions of the new Decent scale that is supposedly shipping next month. 103mm wide... Robot legs are just under 100, maybe 97mm, I think. Argh. I had ordered that thing a very long time ago and I should probably just cancel it if it's not going to fit the Robot. Oh well. It would be awesome to have a scale that could graph the espresso flow... so if you find the right option I'll follow along!

ojaw

#2369: Post by ojaw »

My cheap ass scale is exactly 103mm wide by a bit longer than that.
A lot of people are setting their own scales up like the pic, works for them I guess.
I just weigh my beans before I grind so it's not an issue for me.

sergiyr

#2370: Post by sergiyr »

MNate wrote:Argh, I decided to check the dimensions of the new Decent scale that is supposedly shipping next month. 103mm wide... Robot legs are just under 100, maybe 97mm, I think. Argh. I had ordered that thing a very long time ago and I should probably just cancel it if it's not going to fit the Robot. Oh well. It would be awesome to have a scale that could graph the espresso flow... so if you find the right option I'll follow along!
The 98 mm gap was also reported in Mini scale for Cafelat Robot but I measured out 80 mm from the drawing on the official website so thanks for confirming that for me. I think the only no compromises scale for the Robot is the Acaia Pyxis for whopping $250. At this point I would be okay paying for that if I could use it for pour overs also but it only has a 500 g capacity not to mention the vessel would obscure most of the display. The Pearls are 130 mm on a side and 31 mm tall so besides hanging off the edge they would limit the glassware that you can pull into given the basket clearance. I measured the basket clearance to be 80 mm also from the the drawing but I don't have confidence in that anymore since the width on there was off.