Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 236

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
heiio

#2351: Post by heiio »

Bluenoser wrote:Canada buyers of Robot

https://cafune.ca/collections/espresso-moka-pot have robots listed.. both versions.. I had great customer service there.

Looks like they are sold out now.. but if you email them, they'll tell you when they likely will get more.
Cafune restocked literally a couple hours after you posted this! All colours back in stock, ordered one myself.

WT4

#2352: Post by WT4 »

I have had my creamy white, non-barista Robot for just over a month now and am still loving it! I just recently told my wife that I had made my best shot yet and she replied, "You say that every time!" Well...it's true every time! I don't feel at all like I missing out on having a pressure gauge; I feel that I can pretty easily tell when I am facing too much or too little resistance, even though I have no idea exactly how much pressure that really is. Recently, I've begun experimenting more with a finer grind and intentional pre-infusion and am getting some mighty sweet, syrupy shots. Yum!

Advertisement
Dcough

#2353: Post by Dcough »

First, thanks to all the contributors who have shared their experiences in this thread. I'm coming from zero background in coffee -- I don't drink it myself, but my girlfriend is missing her in-office barista now that she's working from home and I like a challenge! -- and I have learned more about coffee/espresso/the Robot just from reading posts here than I would have any other way. So thank you!

Unfortunately I'm also living proof that reading is no substitute for actual experience. My robot arrived lightning quick this AM (I ordered less than a week ago). However, despite plowing through the manual and almost this entire thread, I managed to break the little nub on the filter screen on my very first shot. I was being too delicate with the tamping/leveling and figured things would right themselves, but I think I then increased the angle even more when trying to pour in the water at an angle for more preheat (using a lighter roast) and ultimately the filter/puck came out more like this / instead of this _

I just ordered replacement screens from Cafelat -- the shipping made this quite an expensive mistake, but that's life!

Fortunately the Robot shipped with some paper filters and placing those under the slightly warped screen seems to be doing the job for now. Off to go play a little more but just wanted to say thanks to all, I'd be very lost without everyone's contributions.

Jonk

#2354: Post by Jonk »

Too bad about your screen but it doesn't matter much if it's slightly warped. Mine is somewhat convex after trying out a ridiculous 30g dose but I'm fairly sure it hasn't made any difference. Paul was using a dented screen in many of the videos and IIRC he had the same opinion.

jpender

#2355: Post by jpender »

If it makes you feel better I heard the post on my screen "pop" one time. It must have been just a little off center and caught the edge of the piston. It didn't hurt it but it made me think about just cutting it off and replacing it with a little hinged circle or a soft grab loop that could lay flat. Also, sometimes that post is hard to grab because it's smooth. So anyway, if the screen isn't too badly messed up you can live without any sort of grab thing -- just knock the screen out with the puck and then recover it.

It's a bummer about the shipping. Cafelat used to offer a cheaper/slower/no-track option but it went away sometime recently. AFAIK spare parts for Robots aren't stocked anywhere else... or am I wrong about that?

Dcough

#2356: Post by Dcough »

Jonk wrote:Too bad about your screen but it doesn't matter much if it's slightly warped. Mine is somewhat convex after trying out a ridiculous 30g dose but I'm fairly sure it hasn't made any difference. Paul was using a dented screen in many of the videos and IIRC he had the same opinion.
I saw that post -- his definitely looks much gnarlier than mine. Unfortunately the center nub properly sheared and now there's a hole where it used to be! Paper filters working for now, but I'd like a longer-term solution and the fastest option just seemed to be a re-order.
jpender wrote:I didn't hurt it but it made me think about just cutting it off and replacing it with a little hinged circle or a soft grab loop that could lay flat.
Mine managed to cut itself clean off! I think I probably have some form of sealant lying around that I could use to plug the hole it left, but I'm not sure if it's food grade. Regardless chemicals + boiling water makes me (probably unnecessarily) nervous.
It's a bummer about the shipping. Cafelat used to offer a cheaper/slower/no-track option but it went away sometime recently. AFAIK spare parts for Robots aren't stocked anywhere else... or am I wrong about that?
Prima Coffee seems to carry some on their store website, although a lot of items are out of stock, including the filter screen. Happy to support Paul (I ordered one of his milk jugs, too, as it didn't do anything to the shipping price and I was so impressed with the attention to fit and finish on the Robot), and if the last order was any indication this will be the fastest way to replace, regardless!

jpender

#2357: Post by jpender »

Dcough wrote:Mine managed to cut itself clean off! I think I probably have some form of sealant lying around that I could use to plug the hole it left, but I'm not sure if it's food grade. Regardless chemicals + boiling water makes me (probably unnecessarily) nervous.
I've used JB Weld, a high temperature epoxy, very sparingly at times for things like this. It's not technically food safe but it's non-toxic. For such a small amount I think the risk is minimal. Or you might just be able to wedge a little piece of aluminum foil in there.

Dcough wrote:Prima Coffee seems to carry some on their store website, although a lot of items are out of stock, including the filter screen.
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Advertisement
Paul_Pratt

#2358: Post by Paul_Pratt »

jpender wrote:It's a bummer about the shipping. Cafelat used to offer a cheaper/slower/no-track option but it went away sometime recently. AFAIK spare parts for Robots aren't stocked anywhere else... or am I wrong about that?
We would love to put air mail back up again as it only took 5-7 days to the US. ALL international air mail worldwide has essentially stopped due to the virus. Fed Ex economy has also stopped and even Fed Ex Priority we are limited to 90kg per day so we are arranging pick-ups Sat and Sun to cover the shortfalls as well.

Paul_Pratt

#2359: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Dcough wrote:I just ordered replacement screens from Cafelat -- the shipping made this quite an expensive mistake, but that's life!

Fortunately the Robot shipped with some paper filters and placing those under the slightly warped screen seems to be doing the job for now. Off to go play a little more but just wanted to say thanks to all, I'd be very lost without everyone's contributions.
See the post before this about shipping.

The paper filters can be used instead of the metal screen. Just use them in the exact same way and they also allow you to experiment with lower doses as well.

Dcough

#2360: Post by Dcough »

Paul_Pratt wrote:See the post before this about shipping.
Given the state of everything I'm impressed you and FEDEX are shipping, period, let alone this fast. I smirked when I first saw the estimated delivery in my inbox because I thought there was no way, but there it was this morning, right on time. I've paid more for slower domestic shipments!
The paper filters can be used instead of the metal screen. Just use them in the exact same way and they also allow you to experiment with lower doses as well.
Oops! Switched to filter only and for whatever reason the pinless screen + paper yielded the best tasting results so far, but I'm fighting a ton of variables (preheat method, my tamping/leveling ability, new grinder, stale beans), and I assume you have a good reason for recommending filter without screen, so I'll keep working at it! Thanks.