Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 234

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Balthazar_B

#2331: Post by Balthazar_B »

ojaw wrote:Oh yeah, since I always just pull one shot I just let the arms fall on their own.
I'll usually pull a bit more air into the cylinder and push out any remaining water into a catch cup.
- John

LMWDP # 577

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2332: Post by mkane »

Thanks for the reply folks.

MB

#2333: Post by MB »

I think the mittens are less for weight, and more for hand comfort. Wait, maybe for Robots that want to yoyo.
LMWDP #472

Jonk

#2334: Post by Jonk »

mkane wrote:In have a question about using the tamper that comes with the robot. How much pressure is used when you tamp? Thanks
You could also tamp as hard as you want, the important thing is to do it roughly the same way every time.

If you're lucky the grounds stick to the shower screen leaving almost nothing behind in the basket. But I think it depends on the beans as much as anything so there's no sure way to accomplish it every time.

jpender

#2335: Post by jpender »

Many pages back in this thread Dr. Gary suggested doing away with a catch cup. I took to that suggestion as I found it removed a couple of steps in my routine. Now I pour off the excess water into the sink. The grounds are kind of wet and the puck *never* comes out in one piece. Ever. It's okay though.

The one thing I haven't figured out how to avoid is the occasional fine in a basket hole that won't come loose through rinsing/rubbing. Sometimes I have to reach for a brush.

MB wrote:I think the mittens are less for weight, and more for hand comfort. Wait, maybe for Robots that want to yoyo.
I remember your tennis ball mod.

MB

#2336: Post by MB »

Never really used the tennis balls other than just to try it for fun. If I felt I needed something, the mittens look much better, but I'm fine and like the hands as is and for holding the tamper.
LMWDP #472

cidadao

#2337: Post by cidadao »

I seem to have lost my mojo with a change of bean. After great and continually improving shots, I've been having an overflow problem - I know I'm not overfilling or underfilling the basket, tamping things down and firmly putting the shower screen and any filters in place, the silicon gasket is clean. Pressure buildup is wonky - arms fall down fast but then water flows out from the top of the basket and it becomes difficult to extract 20-25g of coffee. The cake ends up being a sludgy mess. I imagine this is a grind/channeling problem, but can someone help me troubleshoot here? A million thanks!

ojaw

#2338: Post by ojaw »

jpender wrote:Many pages back in this thread Dr. Gary suggested doing away with a catch cup. I took to that suggestion as I found it removed a couple of steps in my routine. Now I pour off the excess water into the sink. The grounds are kind of wet and the puck *never* comes out in one piece. Ever. It's okay though.

The one thing I haven't figured out how to avoid is the occasional fine in a basket hole that won't come loose through rinsing/rubbing. Sometimes I have to reach for a brush.
My wife insists on a catch cup (little ramekin) which she then turns into a small americano or pours over ice cream. :)

I find hot water from the faucet combined with using my fingers to scrub inside and out of the basket with some vigorous shaking does the trick. I sometimes get fooled into thinking there are some fines stuck in there when it's actually water which is why I towel dry as well.

jpender

#2339: Post by jpender »

It's definitely brown coffee particles that I'm seeing. Maybe it's the type of coffee. Or maybe my grinder produces more fines. A small annoyance that occasionally makes cleanup take an extra minute or two.

heiio

#2340: Post by heiio »

ojaw wrote:newbie Canadian here, just got my blue Robot today (about $510 all in).
Everything seems to be in order, just one problem though...
Ha, no, I've never poured a f***ing espresso in my life, and today using the bare bones Cafelat I crouched down in front of it and watched in wonder as a single stream of the good stuff poured into my glass! I used 14gm of the Italian blend I always buy for my mokas and ground it at the same level, about 1.5 turns back from fully closed on my Helor 101 using the stainless burrs (got a set of the others coming).
Thank you so much to Paul and associates for bringing this beauty to market.

Now back to page 101 to catch up on all the reading.
Also a Canadian here, looking to buy the beautiful Robot very soon. May I ask whereabouts in Canada you are located and did you buy the barista version or the regular?