Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 232

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
WT4

#2311: Post by WT4 »

After several days using my stovetop kettle with the Robot, I've enjoyed my new Stagg EKG even more. It heats quickly, is super easy to pour into the basket, and as dak mentioned, has a great timer built in! Plus it looks great on the counter :D It's nice to have a precise temp, but I simply heat to boiling for every Robot shot and pour directly off the boil.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2312: Post by mkane »

And our's is at the post office waiting to be picked up.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2313: Post by mkane »

Do folks here use just any coffee for espresso or one that's best for? I use a Yemen Mocha, Niche @ 15, 18g coffee. Scale said 41lbs.
Taste, not bad. A slight bitterness but tolerable.

Should I be using the paper filters? Thanks

MNate

#2314: Post by MNate »

WT4 wrote:After several days using my stovetop kettle with the Robot, I've enjoyed my new Stagg EKG even more. It heats quickly, is super easy to pour into the basket, and as dak mentioned, has a great timer built in! Plus it looks great on the counter :D It's nice to have a precise temp, but I simply heat to boiling for every Robot shot and pour directly off the boil.
I should have bought a fancier looking kettle... I agree that the main criteria is it heats to boiling fast. My wife has the bonavita gooseneck in the other room and I used it a little at first but it slows down as it comes to temp so it takes a bit longer. I bought a cheap Mueller kettle on amazon that looks alright and works well, but my problem is scale builds up so quickly that after a week or less I have to clean the thing out because it has stopped working. The scale monster was one reason I love the Robot- no more worries about it in my machine! But the kettle is another matter. The Bonavita one keeps working despite the scale buildup. Oh well. Maybe I'll spring for a fancy one like the Stagg. Sure looks nice!

mkane wrote:Do folks here use just any coffee for espresso or one that's best for?

Should I be using the paper filters? Thanks
I think people use whatever bean they like normally and the Robot handles it well. The only exception may be the very light roast coffees that may require a higher temp than the Robot easily manages. But otherwise play around with various beans and techniques with your Robot and see what you like!

I haven't even tried my paper filters...

Balthazar_B

#2315: Post by Balthazar_B »

MNate wrote:I bought a cheap Mueller kettle on amazon that looks alright and works well, but my problem is scale builds up so quickly that after a week or less I have to clean the thing out because it has stopped working. The scale monster was one reason I love the Robot- no more worries about it in my machine! But the kettle is another matter. The Bonavita one keeps working despite the scale buildup. Oh well. Maybe I'll spring for a fancy one like the Stagg. Sure looks nice!
Not meaning for this to graft an off-topic branch to this Robot thread, but that sounds like a helluva lotta scale; why are you seeing so much? Do you have really hard water? If it's city water, is it also chlorinated to within an inch of its life? Just as an experiment for the sake of kitchen science, suggest you try brewing some of your Robot shots using a bottled water known for the optimal mineral ratios for coffee, and see (i.e., taste) whether the overall flavor of the shots is perceptibly better. Good choices/availability will vary by geography but looking/asking in the Water forum might provide some recommendations. And you could also make your own pretty easily using one of the recipes there.
- John

LMWDP # 577

violin_geek123

#2316: Post by violin_geek123 »

Hi all! New to the forum here, been a specialty coffee home-enthusiast for years now and am diving into home espresso for the first time with my cream Robot (on the way, stuck in Japan for a bit, understandably). 2 lbs of Red Bird Espresso on the way this week to practice with, and I've got a Helor 101 with contemporary burrs to grind the beans with until my white Niche arrives this summer.

Being stuck in quarantine, I miss espresso the most, so I can't wait to dive into making some shots with this thing. No real questions for now - pretty much everything has been discussed in 232 pages! But just wanted to introduce myself and say hello, and that I'm excited to dive into the home espresso journey! - Brian
Brian Hong

ojaw

#2317: Post by ojaw »

violin_geek123 wrote:I've got a Helor 101 with contemporary burrs to grind the beans with until my white Niche arrives this summer.
Hiya - Niche would be nishe but my Helor 101 is fine for my purposes of requiring 2-3 espressi per day. I'm grinding 16-17gms of Italian style roast.

violin_geek123

#2318: Post by violin_geek123 »

Right there with you. I hadn't ground for espresso before on the Helor but when I swapped the burrs I loaded a large amount of medium roast coffee in there and ground at 15 clicks...it was a workout but very smooth and easy. It'll look nice next to the Robot with the silver Acaia Lunar I just picked up!
Brian Hong

MNate

#2319: Post by MNate »

Balthazar_B wrote:Not meaning for this to graft an off-topic branch to this Robot thread, but that sounds like a helluva lotta scale; why are you seeing so much? Do you have really hard water? If it's city water, is it also chlorinated to within an inch of its life? Just as an experiment for the sake of kitchen science, suggest you try brewing some of your Robot shots using a bottled water known for the optimal mineral ratios for coffee, and see (i.e., taste) whether the overall flavor of the shots is perceptibly better. Good choices/availability will vary by geography but looking/asking in the Water forum might provide some recommendations. And you could also make your own pretty easily using one of the recipes there.
My tests show I certainly have a higher level of minerals but not way out of the spectrum. For some reason this kettle just stops reading the temp correctly with a little scale on it.

I have been trying some different water sources and I can taste a little difference. That's another thing I like about the Robot is how trying different water changes things, whereas with my old plumbed in machine I was at the mercy of in-line filters and regular testing.

So thanks, these are some good thoughts for me, and a good reminder for all of us that water is a variable even with the Robot.

Birofunk

#2320: Post by Birofunk »

I'm not sure if people follow Paul on Instagram but there's a couple of interesting new bits in production which I haven't seen discussed on here.

Robot Mittens

Tamper