Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 231

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
J.Merf

#2301: Post by J.Merf »

cebseb wrote:Sorry for the late reply. The Bluetooth transducer itself has been available on the naked-portafilter website for some time now, but the fitting to adapt it to the Robot was only showcased last year by Gábor at a convention. I finally got my hands on the fitting last week and as expected of anything to comes out of his shop, it works beautifully.
Thank you for sharing, I emailed Gábor(sounds like a great guy), and he said the first batch of the Mounting kit was already made. Thing is, the supplier changed the design of the SEP a bit so Gábor needs to check that everything still fits.

cidadao

#2302: Post by cidadao »

Brew like a robot, grind like a machine - over the moon with my new setup.

Earthy

#2303: Post by Earthy »

I have been loving my new Robot. I have been confined away from my Pro800 during these Covid times and I don't know how I will go back. When the idea of a coffee crosses my mind, I am drinking it ten minutes later. I am definitely drinking more coffee now than I used to because of the warm-up time with the big machine...

In any case, I have been using a stove top kettle. Would I benefit from a temp adjustable kettle? I am thinking that this would permit me to keep pouring into the basket until exactly the desired temperature was achieved, without worrying about over heating.

Has a precise temp control kettle helped anyone? In the videos the water always appears off boil.

Balthazar_B

#2304: Post by Balthazar_B »

The challenge for Robots isn't overheating -- in fact, one needs to add a little extra workflow when brewing coffees that like very hot temperatures (e.g., over 204F/95C). Otherwise, temperature management for most coffees is pretty straightforward with off boil water, though residents of Denver and Flagstaff report needing to be aware of the lower boiling point temperature of water at high altitudes.

TL;DR: A kettle that boils quickly > a kettle with variable temperature controls.
- John

LMWDP # 577

dak

#2305: Post by dak replying to Balthazar_B »

This. The robot does great with water right off boil. If it's a coffee that likes it hot, then I just use the pour off method with boiling water and then refill with boiling water. Works great.

As far as kettles, I've been very happy with my Stagg EKG. Fast to boil and precise temp (precise temp is more for my AeroPress than the Robot). Also has a nifty hidden shot timer built in. (just hold down the power button to start)

ojaw

#2306: Post by ojaw »

3rdeded.
Boil and proceed.

WT4

#2307: Post by WT4 »

After several days using my stovetop kettle with the Robot, I've enjoyed my new Stagg EKG even more. It heats quickly, is super easy to pour into the basket, and as dak mentioned, has a great timer built in! Plus it looks great on the counter :D It's nice to have a precise temp, but I simply heat to boiling for every Robot shot and pour directly off the boil.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2308: Post by mkane »

And our's is at the post office waiting to be picked up.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2309: Post by mkane »

Do folks here use just any coffee for espresso or one that's best for? I use a Yemen Mocha, Niche @ 15, 18g coffee. Scale said 41lbs.
Taste, not bad. A slight bitterness but tolerable.

Should I be using the paper filters? Thanks

MNate

#2310: Post by MNate »

WT4 wrote:After several days using my stovetop kettle with the Robot, I've enjoyed my new Stagg EKG even more. It heats quickly, is super easy to pour into the basket, and as dak mentioned, has a great timer built in! Plus it looks great on the counter :D It's nice to have a precise temp, but I simply heat to boiling for every Robot shot and pour directly off the boil.
I should have bought a fancier looking kettle... I agree that the main criteria is it heats to boiling fast. My wife has the bonavita gooseneck in the other room and I used it a little at first but it slows down as it comes to temp so it takes a bit longer. I bought a cheap Mueller kettle on amazon that looks alright and works well, but my problem is scale builds up so quickly that after a week or less I have to clean the thing out because it has stopped working. The scale monster was one reason I love the Robot- no more worries about it in my machine! But the kettle is another matter. The Bonavita one keeps working despite the scale buildup. Oh well. Maybe I'll spring for a fancy one like the Stagg. Sure looks nice!

mkane wrote:Do folks here use just any coffee for espresso or one that's best for?

Should I be using the paper filters? Thanks
I think people use whatever bean they like normally and the Robot handles it well. The only exception may be the very light roast coffees that may require a higher temp than the Robot easily manages. But otherwise play around with various beans and techniques with your Robot and see what you like!

I haven't even tried my paper filters...