Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 231

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Jonk

#2301: Post by Jonk »

Not much crema and fast shot sounds like too coarse to me. Like ojaw says, try increasing the dose. I tend to get better crema with high pressure, as long as it's not uncomfortably hard to pull the shot you should be good. If you go too fine or too high with the pressure the crema will start to suffer again (think ristretto).

That said, crema is overrated. Don't worry too much about it.

jpender

#2302: Post by jpender »

I removed the pressure gauge and tube a few weeks ago and have really noticed how much smoother the whole thing feels. I've seen videos of people raising the piston by pulling on one of the arms and I wondered why I couldn't do that with my Robot. Well, it was the pressure gauge assembly. I think it must push on the piston enough to cock it against the side a little bit. With it removed the Robot just feels better, cleaner, simpler. I'm planning to reinstall the gauge today and I have to say I have mixed feelings about it. Don't really need it.

drgary
Team HB

#2303: Post by drgary »

Jonk wrote:Not much crema and fast shot sounds like too coarse to me. Like ojaw says, try increasing the dose. I tend to get better crema with high pressure, as long as it's not uncomfortably hard to pull the shot you should be good. If you go too fine or too high with the pressure the crema will start to suffer again (think ristretto).
I agree. Good catch.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

cebseb

#2304: Post by cebseb »

J.Merf wrote:Do you mind sharing where did you get that mod for the robot? It looks incredible and I am REALLY interested in getting it myself. The graphs look extremely useful!
Sorry for the late reply. The Bluetooth transducer itself has been available on the naked-portafilter website for some time now, but the fitting to adapt it to the Robot was only showcased last year by Gábor at a convention. I finally got my hands on the fitting last week and as expected of anything to comes out of his shop, it works beautifully.
Full stop. No half measures. Thankful to be in such a supportive community.

J.Merf

#2305: Post by J.Merf » replying to cebseb »

Thank you for sharing, I emailed Gábor(sounds like a great guy), and he said the first batch of the Mounting kit was already made. Thing is, the supplier changed the design of the SEP a bit so Gábor needs to check that everything still fits.

cidadao

#2306: Post by cidadao »

Brew like a robot, grind like a machine - over the moon with my new setup.

Earthy

#2307: Post by Earthy »

I have been loving my new Robot. I have been confined away from my Pro800 during these Covid times and I don't know how I will go back. When the idea of a coffee crosses my mind, I am drinking it ten minutes later. I am definitely drinking more coffee now than I used to because of the warm-up time with the big machine...

In any case, I have been using a stove top kettle. Would I benefit from a temp adjustable kettle? I am thinking that this would permit me to keep pouring into the basket until exactly the desired temperature was achieved, without worrying about over heating.

Has a precise temp control kettle helped anyone? In the videos the water always appears off boil.

Balthazar_B

#2308: Post by Balthazar_B »

The challenge for Robots isn't overheating -- in fact, one needs to add a little extra workflow when brewing coffees that like very hot temperatures (e.g., over 204F/95C). Otherwise, temperature management for most coffees is pretty straightforward with off boil water, though residents of Denver and Flagstaff report needing to be aware of the lower boiling point temperature of water at high altitudes.

TL;DR: A kettle that boils quickly > a kettle with variable temperature controls.
- John

LMWDP # 577

dak

#2309: Post by dak » replying to Balthazar_B »

This. The robot does great with water right off boil. If it's a coffee that likes it hot, then I just use the pour off method with boiling water and then refill with boiling water. Works great.

As far as kettles, I've been very happy with my Stagg EKG. Fast to boil and precise temp (precise temp is more for my AeroPress than the Robot). Also has a nifty hidden shot timer built in. (just hold down the power button to start)

ojaw

#2310: Post by ojaw »

3rdeded.
Boil and proceed.