Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 205

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Isaac

#2041: Post by Isaac »

I just pulled what I would consider my first "god" shot. I've always felt like I don't know if what I'm doing is "right" since this is my first espresso machine and I haven't had the coffee I'm using (The Answer by Cat & Cloud) prepared professionally. I'd also been sticking with the recipe James Hoffmann uses in his Robot first look (17g grounds, ~60g water) and while the shots were good they never blew me away. Anyways I decided to try the recipe that C&C recommends for the blend (19.2g in 30g out, 28-30s) and I have to say I think I nailed it. I got the weight spot on (really should've paid more attention to how much I poured in, I think it was around 40g water), no idea about infusion time. But regardless, it was the best shot I'd drank and I could actually taste each of the notes they describe.

I didn't just come here to gush though, I do have a question.

I'm not sure if I'm just an incredible weakling (entirely possible!) or not but it seems to get the 6+ - ~8ish bars of pressure I'm having to grind pretty finely but also it requires a lot of effort on my end -- certainly more than it seems others are exerting in videos. I'm coming away from shots with the robot's hands indented into my own hands and it kind of hurts. Just wondering if this is normal or I need to hit the weights.

And also super interested in that tamper paul posted earlier, hope things work out with it :D

Javier

#2042: Post by Javier »

jwhitley wrote:I didn't note a separate cable tie packed with my Robot, but upon inspection, I see one is installed and visible on the left side when the arms are completely raised. Arms down, front of the Robot to the right:

The Robot in white (cream?) looks incredibly nice.
LMWDP #115

jpender

#2043: Post by jpender »

ojaw wrote:I find that going too hard results in more overspray, or is that more a function of too long/short pre-infusion?

What is overspray?

ojaw

#2044: Post by ojaw »

jpender wrote: What is overspray?
I just mean that the shot, in addition to giving me the tail that it should, also spatters a bit to the sides.

jpender

#2045: Post by jpender replying to ojaw »

I'm still not quite picturing it but I would guess it's a puck preparation issue.

jpender

#2046: Post by jpender »

Isaac wrote:I'm not sure if I'm just an incredible weakling (entirely possible!) or not but it seems to get the 6+ - ~8ish bars of pressure I'm having to grind pretty finely but also it requires a lot of effort on my end -- certainly more than it seems others are exerting in videos. I'm coming away from shots with the robot's hands indented into my own hands and it kind of hurts. Just wondering if this is normal or I need to hit the weights.

To reach 8 bar takes a fair amount force. Depending on where your hands are on the levers and the angle of the levers it could easily exceed 50lbs. If you're a small person it might be difficult. I don't think the Robot would be easy for a child to use.

But it might also be that you need to adjust your technique. When I first started I was getting those indentations and it hurt a little. I was planning on modifying the arms, adding some sort of padding, or handles even. But after a while I noticed that it wasn't bugging me anymore. I adjusted in some way, I'm not sure exactly how. So while I still think that the nearly perfect Robot could have more ergonomic arms I'm not in as big a hurry to do anything about it.

ojaw

#2047: Post by ojaw »

jpender wrote: I'm still not quite picturing it but I would guess it's a puck preparation issue.
Nope, my tamping is pretty consistent I'd say, not too hard and always even through eyeballing from the top.

jpender

#2048: Post by jpender »

It's not just about tamping.

I'm certainly no expert. I'm pretty close to a rank beginner. But I understand the importance of preparing the puck. WDT and swirling and tapping and expensive distribution devices and dancing around the portafilter. It's like voodoo. But it isn't bullshít. It matters.

ojaw

#2049: Post by ojaw »

I still don't think that's the issue though because my flow varies with my untimed infusions and somewhat changeable (on purpose) pressing of the arms.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2050: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Isaac wrote:I just pulled what I would consider my first "god" shot. I've always felt like I don't know if what I'm doing is "right" since this is my first espresso machine and I haven't had the coffee I'm using (The Answer by Cat & Cloud) prepared professionally. I'd also been sticking with the recipe James Hoffmann uses in his Robot first look (17g grounds, ~60g water) and while the shots were good they never blew me away. Anyways I decided to try the recipe that C&C recommends for the blend (19.2g in 30g out, 28-30s) and I have to say I think I nailed it. I got the weight spot on (really should've paid more attention to how much I poured in, I think it was around 40g water), no idea about infusion time. But regardless, it was the best shot I'd drank and I could actually taste each of the notes they describe.

I didn't just come here to gush though, I do have a question.

I'm not sure if I'm just an incredible weakling (entirely possible!) or not but it seems to get the 6+ - ~8ish bars of pressure I'm having to grind pretty finely but also it requires a lot of effort on my end -- certainly more than it seems others are exerting in videos. I'm coming away from shots with the robot's hands indented into my own hands and it kind of hurts. Just wondering if this is normal or I need to hit the weights.

And also super interested in that tamper paul posted earlier, hope things work out with it :D
I don't know why Hoffman measures the 60 grams of water going in. Just fill it to where Paul Pratt suggests. The important amount of liquid is what ends up in the cup.

One suggestion with regards to the position of the Robot. . . .it might be easier if the Robot is lower than standard counter height for some people. My wife is short. Anyhow I did try a mod with foam pipe insulation. She did not like it. I did not like it. You might like it. Anyhow I don't have any 'ergonomic' issues as is.