Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 197

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bluenoser

#1961: Post by Bluenoser »

I've found that after the shot, just put another cup under the robot and go and enjoy your espresso.. When you come back, the weight of the arms will empty the remaining water.. You can do a quick up/down and remove and clean. Rather than forcing all the water out immediately after the initial shot.

retireddude

#1962: Post by retireddude »

Bluenoser wrote: I've found that after the shot, just put another cup under the robot and go and enjoy your espresso.. When you come back, the weight of the arms will empty the remaining water.. You can do a quick up/down and remove and clean. Rather than forcing all the water out immediately after the initial shot.
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try that.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#1963: Post by yakster »

Putting the tamper in one arm after the shot and raising the lever helps flush the remaining liquid more rapidly.

I think the E61 comparison deserves it's own thread, it'll soon be lost in this mega-thread.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

OMJ

#1964: Post by OMJ »

I 3D printed a aero press paper holder at 90% scale to work with my robot papers.
★ Helpful

CoffeeMac

#1965: Post by CoffeeMac »

thedudeabides_1 wrote:Taste comparison between Robot and E61 Dual Boiler
I was interested in a very portable machine that wouldn't require much maintenance
I was looking to simplify my espresso gear footprint and couldn't be happier with the Robot; for me a great side benefit of the Robot is portability.

I put this portability to use on a bareboat sailing charter last month in the BVIs. I just threw it in my bag along with a Lido grinder, scale and a pound of Redbird. It was so great to wake up each morning on the boat anchored next to some deserted island and pull some espresso shots that were equivalent to what I make at home. The coffee maker provided by the charter company got no use at all! We also had more than coffee... :D

Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

MNate

#1966: Post by MNate »

thedudeabides_1 wrote:Taste comparison between Robot and E61 Dual Boiler

Results: In comparing 6 pairs of shots, I noticed a consistent difference. The Rocket shots were richer, bigger-bodied and more intense (rich and complex bittersweet cocoa finish), whereas shots from the Robot were noticeably smoother and sweeter (rich and silky smooth body with more of a milk chocolate finish). The shots from both machines were absolutely delicious, just quite different. To my tastes, I think the bigger-bodied Rocket shots make a slightly more satisfying americano (which is what I usually drink) but are a little too intense for me as a straight shot; whereas, the Robot shots produce a very pleasurable straight espresso, and a lighter bodied, but still quite delicious, americano.
I have also compared between by e-61 and Robot and found similar things. If you're looking for your old style shot, I found grinding finer and using more pressure, as high as you can, really, making for a pretty slow flow, made it fairly close. I wonder if this works for other people too? I try to mimic my e-61 then, which has just a few second infusion and then a quick ramp to full pressure. I think this gives more crema too than with my typical Robot method.

Usually though with the Robot I do maybe a 5-10 second infusion and a five second ramp up to about 6 bar, and trail off at the end a bit with the pressure. I think I may start choosing more subtle flavored coffees with this style on the Robot.

retireddude

#1967: Post by retireddude »

yakster wrote: I think the E61 comparison deserves it's own thread, it'll soon be lost in this mega-thread.
You're right. That same thought occurred to me moments after I posted it.
MNate wrote: I have also compared between by e-61 and Robot and found similar things. If you're looking for your old style shot, I found grinding finer and using more pressure, as high as you can, really, making for a pretty slow flow, made it fairly close. I wonder if this works for other people too? I try to mimic my e-61 then, which has just a few second infusion and then a quick ramp to full pressure. I think this gives more crema too than with my typical Robot method.
Thanks, that's intriguing, I'll give it a try. I'm not necessarily interested in replicating a E61 shot most of the time (because I enjoy the difference in the more typical "lever profile" shots too) but it'll be interesting to see how close it can come. I'm pretty amazed at what a capable machine the Robot is, looking forward to playing with different techniques on various coffees.

vit

#1968: Post by vit »

For us not having an E61 (or other kind of pump) machine, it would be certainly interesting to see how close one can come with Robot by replicating the typical pump machine shot

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1969: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Dogshot wrote:Absolutely loving my Robot. It is probably the best espresso machine I have ever owned (which includes an Elektra Semiautomatica, Ponte Vecchio Export, and Expobar Brewtus II). I have purchased a Bellman stovetop steamer for my wife's morning cappuccino, and together with my Vario, the combination is unbeatable in terms of value for cost.

My wife made coffee yesterday, and when I got home I found this:

Do any locations in the US carry shower screens for the Robot, or am I going to have to order directly from Cafelat? The only problem with ordering direct is that I have no idea how much import fees will be to Canada, and more importantly the shipping can take anywhere between 10 - 60 days. I'd rather not wait 2 months for the part.
DIVORCE! In all seriousness did you try and bend it back? I'm not sure all who is an authorized US dealer aside from Prima. I checked and did not see that part on the website. I think they are about ten bucks BUT there is a problem with the HK parcel delivery right now--not sure what is up (Wuhan?) But yeah duties and shipping will probably be more than the part itself.

ChiRho

#1970: Post by ChiRho »

fyi. I ordered a few items from cafelat including shower screen, spare gaskets, paper filters and a spare baskrt. Delivered to me in a week from HK and shipping was $5. Delivery was last Thurs via usps. No additional charges to get to the desert southwest usa.