Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 193

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Paul_Pratt

#1921: Post by Paul_Pratt »

vit wrote:Not all donut extractions are bad. With Flair bottomless PF, they result with better taste than even extractions. Took me more than a year to realize that ... another voodoo ...
I m a big believer in getting stuck in and finding things out for yourself.

Not directed at you, just a general comment - I would not say it is a mistake for people to read as much as they can when they are getting into coffee, but it is important to experiment and learn and be prepared to waste a bit of time and coffee and have an open mind. Hopefully the reading will shorten the learning curve.
★ Helpful

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#1922: Post by baristainzmking »

I have to say that the robot is the most forgiving espresso machine I have ever used, bar none! I just can't pull a bad shot!! :wink:
Julia

cooperpwc

#1923: Post by cooperpwc »

Here is an interesting article. It provides some support for the excellent results we get from the Robot at lower pressures:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/interna ... JA_qfIgkRg

greggers89

#1924: Post by greggers89 » replying to cooperpwc »

They're advocating for a 15 second shot, which is not what I aim for with the Robot.

cooperpwc

#1925: Post by cooperpwc » replying to greggers89 »

I am not suggesting slavish adherence. Think of it as an interesting data point.

even-glass

#1926: Post by even-glass »

doug wrote:I perceive a fellow combination engineer / coffee artist.
:) We all have our flaws.

superdudeo

#1927: Post by superdudeo »

What is the going consensus on tamp pressure with the robot? I think in the manual it says only a gentle tamp is required?

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#1928: Post by baristainzmking »

I do a really gentle tamp and done.
Julia

jpender

#1929: Post by jpender »

I haven't been able to tell any difference between really leaning on the tamper versus a mild press with my fingers.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1930: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

superdudeo wrote:What is the going consensus on tamp pressure with the robot? I think in the manual it says only a gentle tamp is required?
I think the tamp pressure is pretty irrelevant with the Robot. Gentle is enough. You really only need to get the 'air' out of the coffee. Just thinking out loud--if you pre-infuse and do a gentle ramp up. . . .I don't think I can tamp as hard as 7-8 bar. At any rate I haven't noticed a difference in the cup with regard to tamping pressure all other things being equal.