Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 193

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
baristainzmking
Supporter ❤

#1921: Post by baristainzmking »

I have to say that the robot is the most forgiving espresso machine I have ever used, bar none! I just can't pull a bad shot!! :wink:
Julia

cooperpwc

#1922: Post by cooperpwc »

Here is an interesting article. It provides some support for the excellent results we get from the Robot at lower pressures:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/interna ... JA_qfIgkRg

GregoryJ

#1923: Post by GregoryJ » replying to cooperpwc »

They're advocating for a 15 second shot, which is not what I aim for with the Robot.

cooperpwc

#1924: Post by cooperpwc » replying to GregoryJ »

I am not suggesting slavish adherence. Think of it as an interesting data point.

even-glass

#1925: Post by even-glass »

doug wrote:I perceive a fellow combination engineer / coffee artist.
:) We all have our flaws.

superdudeo

#1926: Post by superdudeo »

What is the going consensus on tamp pressure with the robot? I think in the manual it says only a gentle tamp is required?

baristainzmking
Supporter ❤

#1927: Post by baristainzmking »

I do a really gentle tamp and done.
Julia

jpender

#1928: Post by jpender »

I haven't been able to tell any difference between really leaning on the tamper versus a mild press with my fingers.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1929: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

superdudeo wrote:What is the going consensus on tamp pressure with the robot? I think in the manual it says only a gentle tamp is required?
I think the tamp pressure is pretty irrelevant with the Robot. Gentle is enough. You really only need to get the 'air' out of the coffee. Just thinking out loud--if you pre-infuse and do a gentle ramp up. . . .I don't think I can tamp as hard as 7-8 bar. At any rate I haven't noticed a difference in the cup with regard to tamping pressure all other things being equal.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1930: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

cooperpwc wrote:Here is an interesting article. It provides some support for the excellent results we get from the Robot at lower pressures:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/interna ... JA_qfIgkRg
This is the fourth thread on this board I've seen mention of this study. The authors concede the shot won't be as 'complex.' It seems as if it will be a thinner shot with less body.
"It is the over and under-extraction of flavours, combined, that gives coffee its some of its complexity.
A more efficient shot is likely to have less complexity, the scientists concede.
But they have a solution to that: brew two shots of espresso, one over-extracted and the other under-extracted, and mix them together. Genius.

Go on, ask your barista for one. If you dare."

It might have saved the café in Eugene 3200 USD but I figure it would save my household between 15-25 bucks ball bark a year and that is if I am not pulling two shots--one under extracted and one over extracted. If I'm only pulling one shot the body will almost have to be thinner. I can honestly say that in the past, while dialing in when I've pulled 7-15 seconds shots with about 15 grams and the shot was thinner and more sour than I like.