Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 191

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
even-glass

#1901: Post by even-glass »

doug wrote:Can any of you both Niche and Robot users comment on how close a match the off-white of the Niche is versus the white / cream on the Robot? Looking to replace my Flair in the camper / caravan. I know... seems a bit shallow, but the morning espresso experience is this entire feast for the senses, and I'd hate to always notice a clash. I'd rather just order it in green if they're too different.
At one time I saw Pantone references for certain Cafelat Robot colors and perhaps Paul would be willing to share which white he chose. The whites are different between the Robot and the Niche Zero with the former being warmer. I considered the same thing when purchasing but especially in the kitchen environment do not consider them to clash - just different.

J.Merf

#1902: Post by J.Merf »

drgary wrote:Johnathan,

One month old coffee is probably the culprit. Please try something much fresher and see if it now works as expected. There will be differences between different levers but that's fine tuning compared to the big change of using fresh coffee.
I should be getting my hands on some fresh beans next week, so I intend on testing this.
Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject, but how does freshness able to influence pressure profile in such a considerable manner?

Fisher

#1903: Post by Fisher »

J.Merf wrote:I am using Knock's Aergrind, which is not the ideal grinder for espresso, but certainly get's the job done with the other Lever press I own(the Flair).
The Aergrind (same burrs as Feldgrind, btw) performs very well with Flair & Robot. If you are not getting a good result, I would not blame your grinder in this case, but would be looking at other factors. Good distribution in the basket is important, and fresh beans are essential. Even two week old beans may fail to produce good results for espresso.

J.Merf

#1904: Post by J.Merf »

Fisher wrote:The Aergrind (same burrs as Feldgrind, btw) performs very well with Flair & Robot. The Niche Zero does not produce a huge difference, in comparison. I use the Niche with an espresso machine, for speed & convenience, but prefer to use a manual grinder with my manual levers. If you are not getting a good result, I would not blame the grinder in this case, but would be looking at other factors. Good distribution in the basket is important, and fresh beans are essential. Even two week old beans may fail to produce good results for espresso.

Since trying a different type of beans, starting yesterday, I managed to pull two good shots, with the last one being very tasty and, more importantly, very similar to what I tasted while in the actual coffee shop. Strangely, the beans were roasted mid-december.
This only strengthens the impression I had that, the key factor here is distribution/tamping. Ofc, these *are* different beans, but not any fresher compared to the ones used before. I just pulled that second shot now, and was very happy with it.

vit

#1905: Post by vit »

J.Merf wrote:I should be getting my hands on some fresh beans next week, so I intend on testing this.
Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject, but how does freshness able to influence pressure profile in such a considerable manner?
Cofee degases (releases CO2) when aging and it results with higher flow and crema becoming thinner and pale because tiny CO2 bubbles in the wet puck work as a kind of flow restrictor. That's probably why storing the beans in the (partial) vacuum wouldn't work for espresso (coffee would oxidize less, but degas even faster), but I didn't really try. Darker roasts generally deteriorate faster. Beans with robusta generally last a bit longer.

However, I usually start smelling the stale coffee and discard it before it's degassed below the level that would be a problem regarding the flow. But many people don't care - most of my colleagues regularly drink extra stale terrible smelling preground coffeee as truskish and don't notice any problems ...

Paul_Pratt

#1906: Post by Paul_Pratt »

even-glass wrote:At one time I saw Pantone references for certain Cafelat Robot colors and perhaps Paul would be willing to share which white he chose. The whites are different between the Robot and the Niche Zero with the former being warmer. I considered the same thing when purchasing but especially in the kitchen environment do not consider them to clash - just different.
I actually have no idea what the paint code is, but I can check against my pantone and ral books tomorrow. The factory we now use for the bodies were comfortable doing white because they use the same paint for another customer (kitchenware appliance).

doug

#1907: Post by doug »

even-glass wrote:At one time I saw Pantone references for certain Cafelat Robot colors and perhaps Paul would be willing to share which white he chose. The whites are different between the Robot and the Niche Zero with the former being warmer. I considered the same thing when purchasing but especially in the kitchen environment do not consider them to clash - just different.

I perceive a fellow combination engineer / coffee artist. Gratitude.

doug

#1908: Post by doug »

Paul_Pratt wrote:I actually have no idea what the paint code is, but I can check against my pantone and ral books tomorrow. The factory we now use for the bodies were comfortable doing white because they use the same paint for another customer (kitchenware appliance).
The picture was sufficient, thanks. I'm convinced.

drgary
Team HB

#1909: Post by drgary »

J.Merf wrote:I should be getting my hands on some fresh beans next week, so I intend on testing this.
J.Merf wrote:Since trying a different type of beans, starting yesterday, I managed to pull two good shots, with the last one being very tasty and, more importantly, very similar to what I tasted while in the actual coffee shop. Strangely, the beans were roasted mid-december.
This only strengthens the impression I had that, the key factor here is distribution/tamping. Ofc, these *are* different beans, but not any fresher compared to the ones used before. I just pulled that second shot now, and was very happy with it.
If you are drinking an Arabica coffee, fresh beans are essential. Robustas have longer shelf life. Scientifically what happens when coffee stales? Is it moisture loss? Degassing? I don't know, but I have noticed that at a certain point, I will get faster flow, more channeling, etc. There's a lot of cumulative experience here about that. If the coffee you get next is all Arabica and is fresh, and if you find it easy to pull as espresso, keep some in the cupboard and try it 10 days later, then 20 days later. See what happens. This will be convincing. This would apply to any good espresso machine, not just the Robot.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

J.Merf

#1910: Post by J.Merf » replying to drgary »

Ok, will test this with the next Arabica I get. Should be an interesting learning experience. Thank you!