Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 169

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
MB

#1681: Post by MB »

jpender wrote: So in other words, don't pour the boiling water on yourself. :-)

I've actually got a big blister on my index finger from my misadventure. Although it's not painful at all I think the blister puts the burn in the second degree category.
:wink: Yeah, that's the ticket! Okay, maybe I hold it out on the very end of the handle too. Sorry for stating the obvious, but well, something went terribly wrong for someone, so maybe it needs saying for the next person.
LMWDP #472

cooperpwc

#1682: Post by cooperpwc »

baristainzmking wrote:Any specific bungee that you recommend?
Just thin bungee cord that you can buy at any technical SCUBA shop.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1683: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave replying to cooperpwc »

Just a guess, not sure of inventory, but maybe at the bulk cordage 'area' at a place like REI.

AssafL

#1684: Post by AssafL »

jpender wrote: I've actually got a big blister on my index finger from my misadventure. Although it's not painful at all I think the blister puts the burn in the second degree category.
Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb....

We gotta install microwave ovens custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators we gotta move these color T.V.'s....
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

rajbangsa

#1685: Post by rajbangsa »

I'm no longer using rubber band for holding robot arm anymore since I'm used to insert the portafilter with one hand. 8)

equedadoii

#1686: Post by equedadoii »

hello,

my apologies if this is redundant, but i would be interested in hearing more about folks' experiences with the barista and non-barista varieties. it's hard to imagine getting an alternative to the robot: its design, the workflow compared to the flair the sense that maintenance would be much less fussy are all super appealing, but i do still waver over the need for the pressure gauge.

i have worked with the flair for about a year now, and alongside the aergrind, i feel like i have gotten a decent feel for a pull that meets the suggested 35-45 second window. would the learning curve with a non-barista robot be similar? i plan on pairing it with one of eureka's grinders.

the new cream color (!!)..

grind727

#1687: Post by grind727 replying to equedadoii »

I skipped the gauge and don't miss it a bit. It seems like something you would look at when you first get it and then ignore from then on. After a couple days, I felt like I had a good sense of what a good pull feels like based on taste.

A caveat: I used a La Pavoni for some time so it's something I already had a sense for. Also, I'm not anal about trying to hit some particular pressure profile. For me, the Robot is all about simplicity. It's what I use when I don't have the time or patience to fool around. I just want to bang out a good shot and get on with what I'm doing.
LMWDP #717

equedadoii

#1688: Post by equedadoii »

great stuff. thank you. that leaves me super confident about going without the pressure gauge. and yes, going by taste tends to be reliable too!

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1689: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

equedadoii wrote:hello,

my apologies if this is redundant, but i would be interested in hearing more about folks' experiences with the barista and non-barista varieties. it's hard to imagine getting an alternative to the robot: its design, the workflow compared to the flair the sense that maintenance would be much less fussy are all super appealing, but i do still waver over the need for the pressure gauge.

i have worked with the flair for about a year now, and alongside the aergrind, i feel like i have gotten a decent feel for a pull that meets the suggested 35-45 second window. would the learning curve with a non-barista robot be similar? i plan on pairing it with one of eureka's grinders.

the new cream color (!!)..
I got it. There is a difference between a shot pulled at six and one started at 8 with a declining pressure--I have no doubt about this. Both are good but they are different. I've pulled hundreds of shots. I'm glad I have gauge now and Ill be glad to have it tomorrow.

mlunsford27

#1690: Post by mlunsford27 »

vit wrote:At the end, heat transfer to the piston could be significantly reduced, if needed, by sticking a piece of silicone to its surface ... easier solution than preheating it
Do you mean like one of those silicon sticky pads? Like at this link on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Anti-Sl ... 788&sr=8-4