Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 164

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
thirdcrackfourthwave

#1631: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

vit wrote:Yeah, I thought so. It's just an approximation, conditions during real pull are different so is the speed of cooling. But anyway, it's obvious that these machines without a heat source cool down during the pull ...
Totally, I don't even think it is an approximation because, when mounted, a bunch of heat is transferred to the cylinder. It was just a quick and dirty to illustrate that a Rao profile doesn't seem like a good deal on a Robot.

vit

#1632: Post by vit replying to thirdcrackfourthwave »

Agree

Actually, I frequently do something similar to Rao profile on Flair, just with different intention (I see no reason why not trying that on Robot as well). I pull a normal shot (usually without preinfusion), then after 20-40s I pull another say 10ml into another cup with several kg force - just to check how close (or far) to overextraction I am/was. Interestingly, coffee doesn't change much when staying in the cylinder in the meantime, it tastes like some kind of drip, just usually without much aroma (depending how long was the shot) and with very little crema.

Have yet to make myself to stop the first pull much earlier and make something closer to Rao ...

Advertisement
mlunsford27

#1633: Post by mlunsford27 »

thirdcrackfourthwave wrote:Totally, I don't even think it is an approximation because, when mounted, a bunch of heat is transferred to the cylinder. It was just a quick and dirty to illustrate that a Rao profile doesn't seem like a good deal on a Robot.
Agreed that the water temp will drop. To combat this then start a bit hotter (i.e. use overflow method and overflow more), preheat the cylinder, etc. I dont think a hot preinfusion is an issue, even Scott uses one in his bloom method.

Just saying that I wouldnt discount it and I think slayer/bloom shots or at least similar shots can be done. for me, long preinfusion seemed to dampen out a bit of brightness and add body while making the overall shot smoother and creamier.

Dogshot

#1634: Post by Dogshot »

I picked up a Cafelat Robot at iDrinkcoffee, and after a week of use I can confidently say that I really like it. I've been making espresso for many years, most recently with an Elektra Semiautomatica. I decided to go with the polished aluminum model without the pressure gauge. After watching Paul brewing countless shots online, and with a good sense of what a good pour should look and taste like, I figured that I would be fine without the additional feedback. I don't regret the decision to go without the pressure gauge at all.

I have realized three things about the Robot after a week of use:
1. The Robot is smaller than it appears in photos/videos. I was surprised that it is even smaller than my Vario. I place it in the corner of the counter, and pull it out to make coffee. At around 6lbs, it's very easy to move around. That way my coffee gear takes up much less counter space than most machines.
2. It is really fast and easy to make coffee and clean up. I'm enjoying using the machine, and I find that it is so easy to keep perfectly clean. Which brings me to my third point
3. Every espresso machine requires a bunch of service at some point. All my machines began to require quite a bit of maintenance after about 3 years. Eventually I would tire of spending more time diagnosing, ordering parts, and repairing my machine than making coffee with it, and get another machine. Ten years seems to be my outer limit. I have always wanted a machine that would require little to no maintenance, and I have finally found it. In defence of this point, I offer this photo of the dispersion screen after one week of use. It is great to be able to clean the entire coffee path with every use. The brilliance of the Robot is in its simplicity...and how sweet the espresso is.

LMWDP #106
★ Helpful

jpender

#1635: Post by jpender »

Nice video. I like the perspective. It really gives me that feeling I have every morning pulling shots.

I wonder about the preinfusion, how the coffee first appears at a certain place. I see that sometimes and think it is related to how I poured the water into the basket. Do you see that too?

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1636: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

mlunsford27 wrote:Agreed that the water temp will drop. To combat this then start a bit hotter (i.e. use overflow method and overflow more), preheat the cylinder, etc. I dont think a hot preinfusion is an issue, even Scott uses one in his bloom method.

Just saying that I wouldnt discount it and I think slayer/bloom shots or at least similar shots can be done. for me, long preinfusion seemed to dampen out a bit of brightness and add body while making the overall shot smoother and creamier.
I do ten second pre-infusion. What is the "overflow method?"

cooperpwc

#1637: Post by cooperpwc »

yakster wrote:I just hold the arms up with one hand while locking in the portafilter with the other.

@cooperpwc seems to have found another solution.
That is thin bungee cord that you can buy at SCUBA shops, then cut and knotted to fit. (I used velcro cable ties to keep the knot ends sleek.)

I normally leave the arms down but during piston preheating, shot prep, and to stop dripping after a shot before cleanup, it is very handy.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1638: Post by yakster »

This should link to Rytopa's Over-flow method post:

Cafelat Robot User Experience
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jpender

#1639: Post by jpender »

cooperpwc wrote:I normally leave the arms down but during piston preheating, shot prep, and to stop dripping after a shot before cleanup, it is very handy.

How do you preheat the piston when it is retracted up into the body of the Robot?

Dogshot

#1640: Post by Dogshot »

jpender wrote:Nice video. I like the perspective. It really gives me that feeling I have every morning pulling shots.

I wonder about the preinfusion, how the coffee first appears at a certain place. I see that sometimes and think it is related to how I poured the water into the basket. Do you see that too?
I like to see my pours while I am getting to know the Robot, so I position my phone in that location for most shots. That video is about average, with some pours looking a little more even, and others looking not as good. The machine is incredibly forgiving, as all my shots have been extremely tasty.

I have noticed that spot appearing on every one of my shots so far. I haven't worried about the consequences of that spot yet, but I have wondered what might be causing it. Your theory of where the water is poured is a good one. I will have to mix up where I start pouring the water into the basket from to see if it makes a difference. Other possible reasons for the spot appearing in the same place are 1) that I am pushing the levers in a way that gives preference to one side, or 2) that the lop-sided piston actually has some effect in the early stages of the pour. I don't think it relates to basket preparation, as the spot appears in roughly the same place every time.
LMWDP #106