Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 130

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
MB

#1291: Post by MB »

I find that the Robot needs water just pulled of the boil and poured in, and even then people are pouring extra in to overflow a bit to warm up the basket holder. So, I think you can just go with anything that will get you boiling water as there is little to no need for temperatures below boiling with this system.
LMWDP #472

RyanLovesCoffee

#1292: Post by RyanLovesCoffee replying to MB »

Forgive my ignorance, I've done tons of research on the product and you're telling me everyone is simply pouring just off the boil water into their baskets? I mean that's great, as I don't have to shell out $100 for a OXO PID kettle, but it wasn't how I have imagined using the Robot. Isn't variable temp important in regards to using different types of beans and to maintain some sort of consistency? I plan on pulling anything from medium-dark to very light roasts, so you guys just use the same water temp and simply mess with other factors such as dose, grind setting, and/or preheat PF?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#1293: Post by yakster »

I just use a kettle on my stove and I'll put the basket over the top of the kettle to pre-heat it. You can play with different levels of pre-heat depending on the coffee you're using. Sometimes I'll fill my pressurized basket with hot water to pre-heat the cylinder too. I doubt you'll need a temperature controlled kettle because you'll want water off the boil.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

vit

#1294: Post by vit »

You don't need expensive kettle for this type of devices. My workflow on Flair (not the same, but similar principle) is to steam preheat everything with small pot having 1 dl water (preheat not needed with Robot for darker roasts, because of less metal that needs to be heated and more water used), then whether use off the boil water or wait a few seconds for it to cool down a bit or dilute the water with a spoon or 2 of cold water before pouring in, depending on the roast I use. Boiling point of the water is at least as accurate as best PID kettles. To check where you are, just do a quick mix of the water poured into a basket with kitchen thermometer before mounting the PF

Denis

#1295: Post by Denis »

It's far from the same principle. Robot is taking heat away only with the basket's thin walls (no group or portafilter temp leak). And the bigger volume of water you can pour in makes it better for temperature stability.

vit

#1296: Post by vit »

Yes, that's what I wrote in the meantime. Difference is in quantity of metal and poured water, so much less water temperature decrease in case of Robot (only the piston takes more heat here than the plastic piston in Flair). But question was about the kettle and my opinion is that you can live without expensive kettle with Flair, Robot, EF etc

Nate42

#1297: Post by Nate42 »

Don't forget the boiling point of water is in itself a form of temperature control. :) Pouring just off the boil water into a room temp robot results in a perfectly reasonable shot temp for medium to dark roasts. For light roasts you are going to want higher temps which you can achieve by preheating. If you are looking for fine control over temperature you are looking at the wrong machine. If you want a no fuss temperature management routine though robot delivers. Use boiling water. Preheat portafilter for coffees that need it. Don't for those that don't. Easy and effective.

RyanLovesCoffee

#1298: Post by RyanLovesCoffee »

Thanks everyone for all your help! I know about the forgiveness nature of the Robot, but I didn't know it was to this level.

Has anyone moved from HX or DB machine to solely the Robot as a daily driver and ended up happy as a result? This is what I've been thinking about doing lately. I can live without milk-based drinks, I love my long blacks just as much, and if the shot quality is just as good at that price level, as a poor grad student who desires a shorter workflow, it makes so much sense. Given 2 machines, one that costs 5 times less can produce a result just as good and quicker is hard to believe. Yes, I've read all the overwhelmingly positive accolades, yet for some reason I'm still on the fence.

Nate42

#1299: Post by Nate42 replying to RyanLovesCoffee »

I've done exactly that, I've moved from a Quickmill Anita (HX machine) to the Robot as my daily driver. I've been incredibly happy with the robot. Its as good for darker roasts, and better for lighter roasts that could use some pre-infusion finesse for good extraction. Even though the temperature capability is theoretically reduced, I personally appreciate the Robot's no fuss temperature management as compared to HX flushing routines. I also appreciate the fact that its ready to use as soon as I can boil water rather than needing an appliance timer.

Now granted, I make 1-2 shots most days, 4-5 on weekends. And I do still sometimes fire up the HX if I want to steam milk. But given I mostly drink straight espresso, don't make a whole lot of shots, and have a generally relaxed attitude, the Robot meets my needs perfectly.

AZRich

#1300: Post by AZRich »

RyanLovesCoffee wrote:Thanks everyone for all your help! I know about the forgiveness nature of the Robot, but I didn't know it was to this level.

Has anyone moved from HX or DB machine to solely the Robot as a daily driver and ended up happy as a result? This is what I've been thinking about doing lately. I can live without milk-based drinks, I love my long blacks just as much, and if the shot quality is just as good at that price level, as a poor grad student who desires a shorter workflow, it makes so much sense. Given 2 machines, one that costs 5 times less can produce a result just as good and quicker is hard to believe. Yes, I've read all the overwhelmingly positive accolades, yet for some reason I'm still on the fence.
I have had a Silvia, an Oscar, a La Pavoni, and currently a Brugnetti Simona that sits unused on my counter. My Robot is my daily driver and has been now since purchased about 10 months ago. I used to fire up the Simona just to steam milk, but now just usually make an americano with just a splash of whole cream after converting to a keto diet a few months ago. I used to keep a legal pad detailed record of every shot but now I just measure dose in and shot weight out - nothing else and no record keeping. I don't think I will go back to a big machine.