Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 129

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
roncwarren

#1281: Post by roncwarren » Sep 11, 2019, 2:51 am

I love my Robot with my Sette 270. Simple design that just works! Low maintenance, easy to clean and well built.

IMAWriter
Supporter ♡

#1282: Post by IMAWriter » replying to roncwarren » Sep 12, 2019, 12:14 am

My same combination. BTW, welcome to the Forum!
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

Otago

#1283: Post by Otago » Sep 13, 2019, 8:09 pm

There seems to have been one issue not addressed in the recent discussion about difficulties with aligning the basket after having removed and reinstalled the silicon seal.

Possibly, all that is required is a little lubrication to the piston seal.

This is addressed in the Robot user manual.

"Cannot install the portafilter into the main body
* Ensure the silicone seal is installed correctly
* Make sure you lift BOTH lever arms when attempting to lock it
in place
* May be time to relube the seal"

For lubricating the piston seal the user manual recommends a silicone grease such as Dow 111. Only the merest amount is required. Just enough to impart a sheen to the seal should suffice.

d3r3k

#1284: Post by d3r3k » Sep 14, 2019, 2:20 am

Hi
Thinking to get the pressure gauge kit. Can't seem to find any links or videos on it's installation instructions.
Is it easy to install?

User avatar
drgary
Team HB

#1285: Post by drgary » Sep 14, 2019, 2:37 am

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

User avatar
AssafL

#1286: Post by AssafL » Sep 14, 2019, 6:25 am

d3r3k wrote:Hi
Thinking to get the pressure gauge kit. Can't seem to find any links or videos on it's installation instructions.
Is it easy to install?
See the link here: Cafelat Robot User Experience
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Nate42

#1287: Post by Nate42 » Sep 14, 2019, 10:39 am

Otago wrote:There seems to have been one issue not addressed in the recent discussion about difficulties with aligning the basket after having removed and reinstalled the silicon seal.

Possibly, all that is required is a little lubrication to the piston seal.

This is addressed in the Robot user manual.

"Cannot install the portafilter into the main body
* Ensure the silicone seal is installed correctly
* Make sure you lift BOTH lever arms when attempting to lock it
in place
* May be time to relube the seal"

For lubricating the piston seal the user manual recommends a silicone grease such as Dow 111. Only the merest amount is required. Just enough to impart a sheen to the seal should suffice.
I'll add a couple more tips for anyone having trouble engaging the portafilter. Although periodically re-applying dow 111 is a great idea, for the first shot of the day just rubbing a little plain water on the seal helps things slide more easily. Also, the basket needs to engage at least slightly with the seal before you can lock the portafilter in place, and there is nothing stopping you from doing this while the piston is down and you can see what you are doing. I find this much easier than doing it "blind" with the arms raised myself.

User avatar
MB

#1288: Post by MB » Sep 14, 2019, 4:09 pm

AZRich wrote:... I also got tired of sometimes struggling to lock in the portafilter so I cut off about 1/4" of the square top corners of the aluminum rails that support the portafilter with a dremel type tool. That small 45 degree angle made it easy for the wings on the handle to smoothly lock in....
cheers, Rich
When I saw Rich's post I knew I wanted to do what he did, since occasionally it took me a few extra seconds to get locked in (admittedly not the end of the world). So, looking at Paul's assembly video, I could see that removing the piston was a one screw task (5mm allen), so I finally went ahead this morning. BTW, it was not as hard as I thought to reconnect the piston. I also removed the base for better access (again 5mm allen).

I used some duct tape to protect the parts I didn't want to cut into with the Dremel cutoff disk. (I actually used two of the slightly thicker cutting disks stacked, so they wouldn't break and to give a wider cut. Three thin ones would work as well.) The duct tape doesn't stop the disks from cutting through to the Robot body, but it stops light touches and gives a visual clue as to when you are near the bottom of the cut. The aluminum Robot body cuts easily, so a straight down cut on the desired angle gives a nice square ramp on the tab, then it's easy to clean up anything left above that.

Here is the masking (tab marked with a brown Sharpie to show where to cut):
Image

And the results after the cut:
Image

I feel a little initial drag as the portafilter holder goes up the ramp, but it's a more predictable lock in now, and works great. Thanks Rich!
LMWDP #472

AZRich

#1289: Post by AZRich » Sep 14, 2019, 4:42 pm

MB wrote:When I saw Rich's post I knew I wanted to do what he did, since occasionally it took me a few extra seconds to get locked in (admittedly not the end of the world). So, looking at Paul's assembly video, I could see that removing the piston was a one screw task (5mm allen), so I finally went ahead this morning. BTW, it was not as hard as I thought to reconnect the piston. I also removed the base for better access (again 5mm allen).

I used some duct tape to protect the parts I didn't want to cut into with the Dremel cutoff disk. (I actually used two of the slightly thicker cutting disks stacked, so they wouldn't break and to give a wider cut. Three thin ones would work as well.) The duct tape doesn't stop the disks from cutting through to the Robot body, but it stops light touches and gives a visual clue as to when you are near the bottom of the cut. The aluminum Robot body cuts easily, so a straight down cut on the desired angle gives a nice square ramp on the tab, then it's easy to clean up anything left above that.

I feel a little initial drag as the portafilter holder goes up the ramp, but it's a more predictable lock in now, and works great. Thanks Rich!
Nice job Matt - much cleaner than mine! My pf locks in so easy every time now - just lift and turn. It's really the only mod I would humbly suggest Paul make to this wonderful little 'toy' machine.
Regards, Rich
“A man who lives on insults and ridicule deserves no respect”

User avatar
Paul_Pratt

#1290: Post by Paul_Pratt » Sep 14, 2019, 9:57 pm

The portafilter lock-in was designed as follows:
  • Lift both arms up as far as they can go and hold them there with your left hand around the top of the body.
  • Insert portafilter and lift it up as far as it can go - others have said correctly that at this point the seal goes into the top of the basket
  • Now move to the right as far as it will go

If people are struggling to insert it I will offer the following comments:
  • it is because they are trying to insert like a regular machine by moving right and up at the same time.
  • Leaving the arms unattended and not holding them up - you need to hold both otherwise the piston will slant in the body
  • Also it could be the seal needs a quick wipe to seat it properly. Wet your thumb and index finger and just run them around the seal a few times to ensure it is seated.
This is why I never planned on having the arms stick at the top, the design is loose, initially on some they stick but will become loose over time. The reason I do not want them to stick is I want the user the hold them up manually for safety and function. If you rely on the arms sticking at the top and you try and insert there is a good chance you are not at the top and the piston is slanted.

I will admit that whole area is tight, the tolerances are down to 0.1mm. The reason is for safety I want as much contact between the portafilter ears and the tabs on the body as possible to spread the load. Having a ramp reduces that contact area and increases the stress in a more confined area. I have not tested it like that so am not going to stand behind that, so modify at your own risk.

So far we have not had any casting breaks or defects in I think 800 Robots and I would like to it to stay that way.

Like I have said before, there is a reason the arms do not stay up, likewise there is a reason not to have that ramp on the tabs. I have just modified the tool to add a better step on the tabs. Again no ramp, this actually increases the contact between portafilter ear and body. A rough sample is shown here:

Image
★ Helpful