Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 126

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
davidhunternyc

#1251: Post by davidhunternyc »

I've had my Cafelat Robot for a few months now. I'm thinking about selling it, not because of the Robot but because grinding the coffee has become such a pain. I use a hand grinder and it's never been a problem for my French Press but because espresso grinds take far longer to grind I can't make more than two shots at a time without getting exhausted. Is the answer an electric grinder? I often want to make espressos and cappuccinos for friends but the amount of works it takes to do everything manually is a pain.

Balthazar_B

#1252: Post by Balthazar_B replying to davidhunternyc »

Something like a Kinu M47 would be easier than your Hario, by all reports, and an HG-1 would be easier still (if you would prefer to stay manual on principle). A competent electric like a low-end Baratza would be easier than any manual grinder, especially if you're making a bunch of shots in quick succession. Just speculating, but as the Robot is one of the more forgiving machines out there, you might be able to get away with a Virtuoso, or even an Encore (others who have tried this combo will be able to confirm one way or the other).
- John

LMWDP # 577

cebseb

#1253: Post by cebseb »

The clamp holding the gauge on to the robot's arm started slipping. I went to adjust it then... oof.

Luckily it's just a press fit. I placed it back on, but there's still a slight rattle.

davidhunternyc

#1254: Post by davidhunternyc »

Balthazar_B wrote:Something like a Kinu M47 would be easier than your Hario, by all reports, and an HG-1 would be easier still (if you would prefer to stay manual on principle). A competent electric like a low-end Baratza would be easier than any manual grinder, especially if you're making a bunch of shots in quick succession. Just speculating, but as the Robot is one of the more forgiving machines out there, you might be able to get away with a Virtuoso, or even an Encore (others who have tried this combo will be able to confirm one way or the other).
Thank you, Balthazar for your suggestion. I'm not using a Hario. I am using a Rosco Mini Mill. It's a nice grinder but a pain to use. Screw it. I just may use my cheap Krups blade grinder when I want to make espresso. According to America's Test Kitchen, in blind tastings, no one could tell the difference between espresso made with a burr grinder or a blade grinder.

Spitz.me

#1255: Post by Spitz.me »

Paul_Pratt wrote:I'm glad you have found out the solution but pretty surprised to hear people are not firmly pushing the screen down onto the coffee. I think in every video I push the screen down and it has probably been discussed many times but sometimes I use the screen as a tamper, no need to tamp after pushing the screen down.
I didn't do this up until about 4 weeks ago. I realized that it made more sense to firmly plant the screen into the coffee. I did end up getting more consistent results after I did that. You can tell that if you don't do this that water gets underneath and displaces the coffee a bit (possibly creates a channel or two) because the water is much clearer when you firmly press the screen into the bed of coffee.
LMWDP #670

yakster
Supporter ♡

#1256: Post by yakster »

davidhunternyc wrote:Screw it. I just may use my cheap Krups blade grinder when I want to make espresso. According to America's Test Kitchen, in blind tastings, no one could tell the difference between espresso made with a burr grinder or a blade grinder.
They compared electric grinders costing $200 or less, really lowering the expected grind quality. The test that I saw was for brewed coffee, not espresso.

America's Test Kitchen Equipment Review: The Best Coffee Grinder and Our Testing Winners
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

davidhunternyc

#1257: Post by davidhunternyc »

yakster wrote:They compared electric grinders costing $200 or less, really lowering the expected grind quality. The test that I saw was for brewed coffee, not espresso.America's Test Kitchen Equipment Review: The Best Coffee Grinder and Our Testing Winners
Come to think of it, yes, I remember them sipping coffee out of small, clear glasses. Thank you for the correction. : )

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#1258: Post by drgary (original poster) »

The Robot's pressurized portafilter works well, if you don't want to buy a grinder. Otherwise there are many excellent choices once you determine your budget. With a proper grinder you'll be able to tune shots to a point you didn't know was possible.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

IMAWriter

#1259: Post by IMAWriter »

davidhunternyc wrote:I've had my Cafelat Robot for a few months now. I'm thinking about selling it, not because of the Robot but because grinding the coffee has become such a pain. I use a hand grinder and it's never been a problem for my French Press but because espresso grinds take far longer to grind I can't make more than two shots at a time without getting exhausted. Is the answer an electric grinder? I often want to make espressos and cappuccinos for friends but the amount of works it takes to do everything manually is a pain.
Electric grinder. A Sette 270 would be the least expensive, and it does an excellent job. Others have a Niche, etc.

evert

#1260: Post by evert »

davidhunternyc wrote:I've had my Cafelat Robot for a few months now. I'm thinking about selling it, not because of the Robot but because grinding the coffee has become such a pain. I use a hand grinder and it's never been a problem for my French Press but because espresso grinds take far longer to grind I can't make more than two shots at a time without getting exhausted. Is the answer an electric grinder? I often want to make espressos and cappuccinos for friends but the amount of works it takes to do everything manually is a pain.
Kinu M68!