Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 125

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
santiagoluz

#1241: Post by santiagoluz »

How did you come up with faulty distribution hypothesis? I repeated this test few times and I usually got channeling just below the spot I poured the water. I use WDT and I tap portafilter down before tamping it.

W.r.t to lightly press down the shower screen, I've never pressed it down before. Even thought I didn't press it down, I always make sure that screen was leveled, barely touching evenly the top of coffee puck. I read the previous comments about it and I'll test adding that to my routine.

I did pour off center on purpose as I wanted to test the impact of pouring in coffee puck and channeling.

Before started using paper filter, I was gently pouring water on top of center screen pin, but I've noticed that sometimes extraction started in a point in the center of the filter. Using paper filter makes extraction evenness much more frequent - actually, all the times. ;)

samuellaw178
Team HB

#1242: Post by samuellaw178 »

santiagoluz wrote:How did you come up with faulty distribution hypothesis? I repeated this test few times and I usually got channeling just below the spot I poured the water. I use WDT and I tap portafilter down before tamping it.
I can see why Rob (IMAWriter) reached that conclusion. Your second pull (with paper filter) did not coalesce until the very end and seemed to have a few small dead spots (low flow area) in the center. Looks like you either have to WDT more vigorously, or adjust the grind setting (coarser to get less fines). :P

But I also see your point (well demonstrated by the way), pouring water does seem to disturb the puck and caused minor chanelling in the initial extraction phase. I think this is affected by the shape of the pour spout (more so than people expected). For example, using a no-spout kettle (video below), the water is pretty much clear. But with a Bonavita gooseneck kettle (my usual go-to), I do get browner water more often than not. To avoid that without resorting to using paper filter, you can try aiming the side of the basket as some has suggested in this thread.

IMAWriter
Supporter

#1243: Post by IMAWriter »

I use a broad spot, not my pour-over gooseneck for the reason you mentioned. I'm not sure why the OP has an issue with a pour that emanates from the center of the basket and matriculates outward. THAT is the sort of pour I always aimed for with my levers. I found getting that sort of pour required a wee bit of finesse at the initial lever movement downwards, or in the case of the Robot, INwards. Pours that start outside in usually indicate a lack of proper distribution or, in some cases, uneven tamping. To be fair, it does take a bit more finesse to secure a level tamp in the Robot, but a little practice and all was good. I'm wondering whether the filter actually needs to be "attached" to the metal filter, or just laid on top of the leveled/tamped bed? Has anyone done the paper thing Without the metal filter? I'm sure I missed something!
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

IMAWriter
Supporter

#1244: Post by IMAWriter »

Also, Paul mentioned that he's had less perfect pours with manual grinders than electric. Of course, he has a Monolith!
Has anyone compared their Robot pours manual versus electric?
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

Richard

#1245: Post by Richard »

IMAWriter wrote:. . . and matriculates outward.
What does this mean?
Richard J. Wyble

Balthazar_B

#1246: Post by Balthazar_B » replying to Richard »

Probably "moves steadily", don't'cha think? Although it's water, not a football.
- John

LMWDP # 577

IMAWriter
Supporter

#1247: Post by IMAWriter » replying to Balthazar_B »

hahaha...a reference to the legendary NFL Head coach Hank Stram, of the KC Chiefs..."lets keep matriculating the ball forward, boys!"
Richard, try Google, though they'll probably start spamming you with offers for a thesaurus. You can Google that one as well. :lol:
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

Richard

#1248: Post by Richard » replying to IMAWriter »

I prefer either Merriam-Webster or Oxford English Dictionary.

So what were you trying to say? Matriculates is meaningless in that context.
Richard J. Wyble

drgary
Team HB

#1249: Post by drgary »

Is this about the Robot or word usage? Let's get back on topic, please, and avoid lastworditis (feel free to look it up) for this dust-up in the making. :roll:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Richard

#1250: Post by Richard » replying to drgary »

No dustup here. Carry on.
Richard J. Wyble