Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 124

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
vit

#1231: Post by vit »

Yeah

I tried doing it this way on Flair a few times - tamping only with shower screen while pressing it to the coffee, but it's not easy to make it level (although basket is smaller than on Robot); it's better to use the tamper

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#1232: Post by samuellaw178 »

Thanks Ron for the translation, that's awesome! I finally get to understand what's in the manual. I posted the manual here in case you haven't seen the rest.
vit wrote:However, there is no tamping step ...

I tried doing it this way on Flair a few times - tamping only with shower screen while pressing it to the coffee, but it's not easy to make it level (although basket is smaller than on Robot); it's better to use the tamper
There is no tamping step because the Faema Baby doesn't come with a tamper, other than the tamper/showerscreen thingy. Does make you appreciate what Paul has done & included (not to mention the spouted/bottomless portafilter system, spare gasket, and anti-scratch silicone mat).

Actually, inspired by the discussion, I just pulled an evening shot using the Robot (which I should not have done at this hour), all without tamping it worked just fine! The water isn't any browner than with tamping, and got me a lovely shot too. If anyone's having trouble with tamping level I guess this is worth trying.

Ron

#1233: Post by Ron »

By the way, when I use the Faemina Baby, I do three things. First, I tamp with a 58mm tamper, that fits the cylinder exactly. Next, I put in a 58mm paper filter that I cut out myself and rinse out each time. Finally, I press in the official shower screen, as mentioned in the instructions. If my grind is fine enough, this works really well.

I do have a copy of the whole manual, but I haven't gotten around to translating the whole thing. Maybe later.

vit

#1234: Post by vit »

I continued using the tamper (on Flair) because, as I said, it's easier to get leveled puck surface than by pushing the screen with fingers, but after that, I push the screen onto the coffee as well.

Ron

#1235: Post by Ron »

OK, I went ahead and translated the whole Faema Baby booklet. I never read the whole thing before and this was a surprise and the main difference from how I use it:
The instructions say you should put the total water you want for espresso in the filter and pump a second time in order to get all the water out and into the cups. I do one pull down and drink the ristretto, then extract the rest of the liquid later and either discard it or drink it just to see what it tastes like.

OK, here's the whole booklet. Please post any translation errors you find:

Downloadable at https://www.mediafire.com/file/jr7jvgyc ... t.txt/file
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 1
The secret of crema coffee at home.

Page 2
Faema Baby
Portafilter, measuring spoon, shower screen, filter.

Page 3
Place a receptacle on a heat source with enough water for the amount of coffee you want (1/4 liter for 4 cups, 1/2 liter for 8 cups, etc.).

Page 4
1. Raise the levers and remove the portafilter.
2. After taking out the shower screen, immerse the filter and portafilter for a moment in boiling water. This should be enough to get rid of the "icy" metal.
3. Place two measures of very finely ground coffee (coffee bar type) in the filter and tap the filter with the coffee measure in order to uniformly distribute the coffee at the bottom of the filter. (Two coffee measures are for two portions of coffee.)

Page 5
Place the shower screen in the filter and press it on the coffee as much as possible, making sure the level is not uneven, but is completely horizontal.

Page 6
Fill the filter with boiling water up to 2-3 millimeters under the rim. The water should boil not to make a very hot coffee but to get the best extraction.

Page 7
Attach the portafilter to the machine and put the espresso cups under the spouts on the circular marks on the base. The portafilter can be attached on either side.

Page 8
Slowly lower the levers until the piston contacts the water level. Then use force, supporting your open palms on the knobs at the bottom of the levers, gradually forcing out the coffee.

Page 9
Using the Faema Baby is very simple. If you don't obtain an exquisite crema coffee and you have any problems, this is how you solve them:
If water drips out of the top of the portafilter when you lower the levers, remember to lower them slowly, in order to avoid feeling resistance. Only after that should you use pressure on the levers.

Page 10
If the coffee starts to drip out of the spouts when you just start to pour it in the filter and before inserting the portafilter in the machine, or if it drips without even putting any pressure on the levers after the portafilter is attached, this means that the grind is too coarse. In this case, you have to have it ground or grind finer, using the grind used at coffee bars as an example.

Page 11
If you feel no resistance at all when you lower the levers for the first time and diluted coffee comes out of the spouts, this means your grind is too coarse and will be corrected if you follow the previous instructions.

Page 12
If you get too much resistance when you lower the levers, this means that the coffee has been pulverized and not ground properly. In this case as well, correct the grind, taking the coffee bar grind as an example.

Page 13
When the levers reach the bottom of their travel, keep them in this position until the coffee stream decreases. If you release the downward pressure and the levers start to rise, this means that there is still usable coffee in the filter.

Page 14
Raise the levers again and quickly repeat the operation of lowering and keeping them pressed until the coffee exits. If the levers rise again, repeat the operation until they stay down by themselves when no pressure is exerted. If air flows out of the spouts, the coffee is ready.

Page 15
If you need to make more coffee, raise the levers, remove the portafilter, take out the shower screen, tap the filter in order to empty the used puck. If you want more than two coffees, repeat the procedures described above. It's advisable to always have water on a heat source to keep it boiling.

Page 16
If one spout puts out more coffee than the other, the shower screen or the machine is not perfectly horizontal. A simple correction can fix this.

Page 17
The secret of a perfect crema coffee at home has been revealed! Faema appliances are sold with a guarantee!
★ Helpful

Nate42

#1236: Post by Nate42 »

Count me among those who always pressed down the screen and never occured to me that people would do otherwise. Seems like there is enough confusion that it probably is worth explicitly mentioning in the manual though.

I'll also re-iterate that since I started tilting the basket and pouring down the side, I have experienced much clearer water, which I take as evidence of minimal disturbance to the puck. Its highly debatable whether it makes a bit of difference in the cup, but it makes me feel better and is zero extra effort. Highly recommend it to anyone who feels like they are having puck erosion issues.

Paul_Pratt

#1237: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Geert wrote:From how you do it in your video's I can't conclude it's of any importance, especially because you never explicitly mentioned it. I don't think is was mentioned in this thread .

I use 4 fingers now to assure the screen sits firm and flat on the grind. I believe this is an absolute requirement for the screen to work as intended. Otherwise water will get underneath during the pour, disturbing the pucks surface.

Knowing how many people are struggling with this it would be nice to put it on the manual.
At around 1:18 you can see me insert the screen and press it down. I don't make a fuss about it because I just assumed EVERYONE would instinctively do this. No need to do any huge press just a quick firm press and all is well.

I have tried to get the fit of the screen, basket and tamper as tight as I could. The reason for the dinky thin base tamper is NOT to save $ but to save weight and reduce the suction effect of the tamper on the freshly tamped bed of coffee. I have also tapered the sides for good measure too. That is why we decline to make people standard tampers to fit - a thick properly sized base would just disturb/suck the coffee up when you remove the tamper. The same would be true of the screen, if one were to drop the screen in I would bet you are also fluffing up the coffee grinds with the air pump effect. Place it carefully in at an angle and make it flat.

I will of course update the manual. Believe me I am a basics kind of person. The Robot is as basic as you can get but the main principles of making coffee still apply. If people are genuinely struggling then the best way to troubleshoot is to email us directly and I am more than happy to run over things. I do not have time to read HB as much as before.

Geert

#1238: Post by Geert »

Paul_Pratt wrote: At around 1:18 you can see me insert the screen and press it down. I don't make a fuss about it because I just assumed EVERYONE would instinctively do this. No need to do any huge press just a quick firm press and all is well.
I always gave the screen a light tap to assure it sits at the bottom, but it my case that's not sufficient (or optimal). Applying a bit of pressure so the curled edges of the screen are pushed in the coffee bed is beneficial. Of course someone who doesn't notice any problems shouldn't bother.

santiagoluz

#1239: Post by santiagoluz »

I'm quite late here, but I've noticed some channeling in Cafelat Robot extraction depending on pouring technique, so I decided to perform a test to see if channeling is reduced by using a paper filter under shower screen. I deliberately poured water in a fixed spot - off centered - and I checked how extraction looked like from filter bottom.

After that, I started using paper filter in all extractions and I've noticed significant improvements in the cup, specially in terms of repeatability and cup quality.

I used Aeropress paper filter cut to size and pre wet it so it sticks to the screen shower.

About the water leak in the end of second extraction, I'm not sure if silicon gasket is worn. I think it is related to pressure being too high during extraction. I had to push really hard to extract that one. When grinding coarser, leakage didn't occur, but I need to do more tests on that.

IMAWriter

#1240: Post by IMAWriter »

Either way, you're showing some (what could be) faulty distribution of your grounds. Also, you need to lightly press down on the upper filter, assuring it's level. The stream should coalesce within 6-7 seconds after the first drops. As it's not a good idea to NOT pour off to one side, maybe try your test with a proper centered pour at a slower rate? It DOES look like the paper filter as you applied it helped.