Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 123

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Madman13

#1221: Post by Madman13 »

Paul_Pratt wrote:People can use them how they wish, I offer them as an alternative to or with the stainless screen. The increase in EY and less channeling has been well documented by now. Also for my sanity I have to stop with the screen discussion - the papers are there if anyone wants them.
Paul, are you offering paper filters on your store.... 58mm? I can't find them on your site.

Paul_Pratt

#1222: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Geert wrote:I think I solved my puck errosion issue a week ago. I found out it's less if a problem if you push the screen on the coffee instead of just dropping it in the basket. It noticed the difference immediately when pouring water on the screen, the water stays almost clear now.

Splattering I only experience when using exceptionally high pressure. That's easily fixed by grinding a bit coarser.
I'm glad you have found out the solution but pretty surprised to hear people are not firmly pushing the screen down onto the coffee. I think in every video I push the screen down and it has probably been discussed many times but sometimes I use the screen as a tamper, no need to tamp after pushing the screen down.

andersos

#1223: Post by andersos »

I've been dropping the screen too. I've followed.this thread since it started and I read the first two posts in the review thread, and I didn't see any mention of this. I didn't notice it in any of the videos that I watched either. Maybe it could be mentioned in the manual.

Geert

#1224: Post by Geert »

Paul_Pratt wrote:I'm glad you have found out the solution but pretty surprised to hear people are not firmly pushing the screen down onto the coffee. I think in every video I push the screen down and it has probably been discussed many times but sometimes I use the screen as a tamper, no need to tamp after pushing the screen down.
From how you do it in your video's I can't conclude it's of any importance, especially because you never explicitly mentioned it. I don't think is was mentioned in this thread .

I use 4 fingers now to assure the screen sits firm and flat on the grind. I believe this is an absolute requirement for the screen to work as intended. Otherwise water will get underneath during the pour, disturbing the pucks surface.

Knowing how many people are struggling with this it would be nice to put it on the manual.

AssafL

#1225: Post by AssafL »

I never pushed down... but I did ensure it was all the way in.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#1226: Post by samuellaw178 »

This is an interesting revelation...I've always pushed the screen down, thinking others would do it too. My thinking was how else would the screen sit flat if I don't press it. :lol: On the Baby Faemina's manual, it does explicitly show this step (but I've been doing that even before coming across the manual):

Geert

#1227: Post by Geert »

I never saw that Baby Faemina's manual. Nice find.

vit

#1228: Post by vit »

samuellaw178 wrote:This is an interesting revelation...I've always pushed the screen down, thinking others would do it too. My thinking was how else would the screen sit flat if I don't press it. :lol: On the Baby Faemina's manual, it does explicitly show this step (but I've been doing that even before coming across the manual):

<image>
However, there is no tamping step ...

CharacterZero

#1229: Post by CharacterZero »

samuellaw178 wrote:I've always pushed the screen down, thinking others would do it too. My thinking was how else would the screen sit flat if I don't press it. :lol:
+1,000 :wink:

Ron

#1230: Post by Ron »

I couldn't resist translating the illustrations in the Italian text on the off chance that some espresso fans might not understand Italian. Here goes:

1. Raise the levers and remove the portafilter.
2. After taking out the shower screen, immerse the filter and portafilter for a moment in boiling water. This should be enough to get rid of the "icy" metal.
3. Place two measures of very finely ground coffee (coffee bar type) in the filter and tap the filter with the coffee measure in order to uniformly distribute the coffee at the bottom of the filter. (Two coffee measures are for two portions of coffee.)
4. Place the shower screen in the filter and press it on the coffee as much as possible, making sure the level is not uneven, but is completely horizontal.
★ Helpful