Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 123

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Geert

Postby Geert » Aug 13, 2019, 6:38 am

intjester wrote:I'm also experiencing the dimpled puck and the water immediately is cloudy/brown when I start pouring onto the screen. Also, I'm getting a fair amount of spatter/spray, although the coffee tastes good. I came to this thread as a newbie hoping to clean up my act a bit, and this discussion is on point.

I think I solved my puck errosion issue a week ago. I found out it's less if a problem if you push the screen on the coffee instead of just dropping it in the basket. It noticed the difference immediately when pouring water on the screen, the water stays almost clear now.

Splattering I only experience when using exceptionally high pressure. That's easily fixed by grinding a bit coarser.

Madman13

Postby Madman13 » Aug 13, 2019, 6:49 am

Paul_Pratt wrote:People can use them how they wish, I offer them as an alternative to or with the stainless screen. The increase in EY and less channeling has been well documented by now. Also for my sanity I have to stop with the screen discussion - the papers are there if anyone wants them.

Paul, are you offering paper filters on your store.... 58mm? I can't find them on your site.

Paul_Pratt

Postby Paul_Pratt » Aug 13, 2019, 10:09 pm

Geert wrote:I think I solved my puck errosion issue a week ago. I found out it's less if a problem if you push the screen on the coffee instead of just dropping it in the basket. It noticed the difference immediately when pouring water on the screen, the water stays almost clear now.

Splattering I only experience when using exceptionally high pressure. That's easily fixed by grinding a bit coarser.

I'm glad you have found out the solution but pretty surprised to hear people are not firmly pushing the screen down onto the coffee. I think in every video I push the screen down and it has probably been discussed many times but sometimes I use the screen as a tamper, no need to tamp after pushing the screen down.

andersos

Postby andersos » Aug 13, 2019, 11:57 pm

I've been dropping the screen too. I've followed.this thread since it started and I read the first two posts in the review thread, and I didn't see any mention of this. I didn't notice it in any of the videos that I watched either. Maybe it could be mentioned in the manual.

Geert

Postby Geert » Aug 14, 2019, 2:46 am

Paul_Pratt wrote:I'm glad you have found out the solution but pretty surprised to hear people are not firmly pushing the screen down onto the coffee. I think in every video I push the screen down and it has probably been discussed many times but sometimes I use the screen as a tamper, no need to tamp after pushing the screen down.

From how you do it in your video's I can't conclude it's of any importance, especially because you never explicitly mentioned it. I don't think is was mentioned in this thread .

I use 4 fingers now to assure the screen sits firm and flat on the grind. I believe this is an absolute requirement for the screen to work as intended. Otherwise water will get underneath during the pour, disturbing the pucks surface.

Knowing how many people are struggling with this it would be nice to put it on the manual.

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Aug 14, 2019, 5:02 am

I never pushed down... but I did ensure it was all the way in.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Aug 14, 2019, 5:09 am

This is an interesting revelation...I've always pushed the screen down, thinking others would do it too. My thinking was how else would the screen sit flat if I don't press it. :lol: On the Baby Faemina's manual, it does explicitly show this step (but I've been doing that even before coming across the manual):

Geert

Postby Geert » Aug 14, 2019, 6:01 am

I never saw that Baby Faemina's manual. Nice find.

vit

Postby vit » Aug 14, 2019, 6:43 am

samuellaw178 wrote:This is an interesting revelation...I've always pushed the screen down, thinking others would do it too. My thinking was how else would the screen sit flat if I don't press it. :lol: On the Baby Faemina's manual, it does explicitly show this step (but I've been doing that even before coming across the manual):

<image>

However, there is no tamping step ...

CharacterZero

Postby CharacterZero » Aug 14, 2019, 7:09 am

samuellaw178 wrote:I've always pushed the screen down, thinking others would do it too. My thinking was how else would the screen sit flat if I don't press it. :lol:

+1,000 :wink: