Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 121

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jpender

#1201: Post by jpender »

Antonee wrote:Thanks for this tip! Much easier than doing a second pull to dry the puck!
In my experience the weight of the arms is enough on their own.

But I've switched to the wet puck approach that Gary suggested a while back. I dump the spare water and dispose of the sloppy puck. No catch tray/cup needed.

Spitz.me

#1202: Post by Spitz.me » replying to jpender »

That's an interesting method because it has to happen right after pulling the shot for that not to be messy. I find that I get a lot of drippings if I don't do something about the water that's left. So, I choose to empty the water quickly into the mug I use to pre-heat the filter holder. I'm at work using the Robot so I expedite the cleanup process and try to minimize the need to clean off the Robot itself.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1203: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Cratering.
I poured water on the screen alone from a height of several feet, several feet high and with greater force than I use to fill the basket. It splashed water all over and seemed to deflect most of the force. Granted in the portafilter things may be different. I was wondering if people who are having the cratering issue have the Barista model. If you vary the pressure down and up and down and up etc., during the shot, well that is the only time I have noticed any cratering. Even if I stay in the 6-8 bar range. FTR the shot was still good, it is a forgiving machine as some have mentioned.

jpender

#1204: Post by jpender »

Spitz.me wrote:That's an interesting method because it has to happen right after pulling the shot for that not to be messy. I find that I get a lot of drippings if I don't do something about the water that's left. So, I choose to empty the water quickly into the mug I use to pre-heat the filter holder.
The minimum post shot procedure is to take off the portafilter and place it in a sink.

But whatever works best for you.

jpender

#1205: Post by jpender »

thirdcrackfourthwave wrote:Cratering.
I poured water on the screen alone from a height of several feet, several feet high and with greater force than I use to fill the basket. It splashed water all over and seemed to deflect most of the force. Granted in the portafilter things may be different. I was wondering if people who are having the cratering issue have the Barista model. If you vary the pressure down and up and down and up etc., during the shot, well that is the only time I have noticed any cratering. Even if I stay in the 6-8 bar range. FTR the shot was still good, it is a forgiving machine as some have mentioned.
I've seen cratering and/or asymmetric preinfusions when pouring from a height of 3-4 inches. The coffee was still delicious.

Spitz.me

#1206: Post by Spitz.me »

:mrgreen:
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

andersos

#1207: Post by andersos »

I may have missed it mentioned here, but anyway, the metal sleeve for the gauge tube is available now. Along with other gauge kits.
★ Helpful

Nate42

#1208: Post by Nate42 » replying to andersos »

Thanks, been meaning to get one once its available. No problem with my original tube so far, but there is at least the potential for it to get pinched and I would rather not have to worry about it. Anyone know if there is an install guide or anything like that? I imagine there can't be that much to it.

drgary
Team HB

#1209: Post by drgary »

I don't think there's a risk of pinching the pressure gauge tube once you've got the length right. I expect that the replacement tubes sold by Cafelat are cut to the proper length. Before that, I did a tube replacement, and once I got the length right, it clears the movement of the levers at the top.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

tuxxie

#1210: Post by tuxxie »

Nate42 wrote:Thanks, been meaning to get one once its available. No problem with my original tube so far, but there is at least the potential for it to get pinched and I would rather not have to worry about it. Anyone know if there is an install guide or anything like that? I imagine there can't be that much to it.
The guide is on Youtube:
Ethan
LMWDP#611