Cafelat Robot Temperature Tests - Page 23

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Ken5
Supporter ♡

#221: Post by Ken5 »

I never said anything about the robot being easier than the aram, only said that it is easy to preheat my piston cause John said it was trickier to heat the piston than heating the basket with a double pour, and that his method takes a couple of minutes.

Not sure how swapping the pressurized basket on the robot is hard. Takes less than a second and it works really well.

Paul_Pratt

#222: Post by Paul_Pratt »

OK guys chill for a bit :D The Aram is a gorgeous machine.

I did some testing this week and have come up with something. When I get more time this weekend I will post more details.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
HB
Admin

#223: Post by HB »

I've edited out some of the snarky back-n-forth in the last page and paused this thread because it's becoming a bit overheated.

For contributors to this thread, please take a look at the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion, especially the two admonishments "Be respectful" and "Encourage positive, shared discourse"; I think it's pretty obvious where that line was crossed without me spelling it out.

Relax and enjoy the break. :D
Dan Kehn

cap2

#224: Post by cap2 »

This thread seems to be live again. Looking forward to exciting new geeky data!

sam_d

#225: Post by sam_d »

Paul_Pratt wrote:I did some testing this week and have come up with something. When I get more time this weekend I will post more details.
Any chance you'll be able to share your discovery soon?

K7

#226: Post by K7 »

Anyone measured temperature of the output stream right below the basket?

Italian standard calls for 88C +-2. (BTW, I read water above the puck is ~5C higher so you get, for example, 88 + 5= 93C or ~200F for brew water temp). For grins, today I measured it using my new TC and I got a peak of 192F (88.9C) at ~20 sec into the pull. This is with my current "max preheat" routine involving 1/4 cup of off-boil water for piston warming for 1 min, 3/4 cup for portafilter (bottom half only since the vessel doesn't fit) and 10 sec dip of the basket in off-boil water. It looks like I'm pretty close, maybe about 1C off from where I wanted to be (~90C) for light roasts. Also kind of in line with jpender's temp curve for piston+PF+basket preheat if I'm not mistaken*. :)

*88.9C + 5 = 93.9 C vs jpender's temp at 20sec mark which is ~94C. The "+ 5C" math applied is more for typical machines with flat temp profile and doesn't map cleanly here, but still interesting.

jpender (original poster)

#227: Post by jpender (original poster) »

K7 wrote:Anyone measured temperature of the output stream right below the basket?

Italian standard calls for 88C +-2. (BTW, I read water above the puck is ~5C higher so you get, for example, 88 + 5= 93C or ~200F for brew water temp)...

I've shied away from measuring the output stream or temperature in the cup because it's hard enough to be accurate with a probe placed right above the puck. I'm not saying you can't make sense of it just that it adds another layer of uncertainty.

I'm curious: Where did the 5°C puck-top-to-puck-bottom figure come from? I'm not ready to swallow that as a constant.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
jpender (original poster)

#228: Post by jpender (original poster) »

cap2 wrote:To build the piston...

...1-1/2" pvc coupling https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-P ... /203811389
1-1/2" slip to 1" threaded reducer. The wall of this are very thick. got this at home depot. can't find the online link for it. many of the pictures for plumbing fittings in the online catalog are incorrect
1" threaded plug, with the hex part opposite the the open end. Home Depot has the right one, Lowes has the wrong one.

I finally made it to Home Depot since a light switch in our kitchen failed. While there I visited the PVC pipe section and unfortunately could only find one of the three parts you specified (the linked one). I did find some other items that will make it all fit together. But cutting them to size won't be trivial for me. It's a project that will take me some time.

cap2

#229: Post by cap2 »

jpender wrote: I finally made it to Home Depot since a light switch in our kitchen failed. While there I visited the PVC pipe section and unfortunately could only find one of the three parts you specified (the linked one). I did find some other items that will make it all fit together. But cutting them to size won't be trivial for me. It's a project that will take me some time.
If you DM me a mailing address, I'll make you one and send it to you. (a gift. no money involved)