Cafelat Robot puck screen - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
victor_rf (original poster)

#11: Post by victor_rf (original poster) »

Thanks Jonk!

#12: Post by victor_rf (original poster) »

Corgo wrote:Do you mean the shower screen that came with the robot or an actual aftermarket puck screen without the red nipple on it? Are you using light roast by chance?

I never had any issues with my robot and I ended up using different work flow that may also work for you. The most consistent and best tasting shots for me was by not using the tamper. I would grind directly into the basket, WDT, level with the WDT tool, and then lightly put the shower screen with the red nipple on top of the grounds. Then I would use my index and middle finger of both hands, spread out in 4 quadrants on the shower screen, and press down without exerting lot of force until the puck stopped compressing. This always yielded better tasting shots for me than using the tamper (stock or self leveling) and was what I ended up doing.

Corgo, one short question: how do you manage to insert the screen with the rubber tip facing de puck without damaging it (in the same way that happens to me with the aftermarket screen)? I have tried it 3 times and in 2 of them the screen has not fallen perfectly flat on the coffee puck...

Since I cannot grab it by the tip to insert it into the filter basket, I have the same problem.

Regards!

Advertisement
Corgo

#13: Post by Corgo »

victor_rf wrote: Corgo, one short question: how do you manage to insert the screen with the rubber tip facing de puck without damaging it (in the same way that happens to me with the aftermarket screen)? I have tried it 3 times and in 2 of them the screen has not fallen perfectly flat on the coffee puck...

Since I cannot grab it by the tip to insert it into the filter basket, I have the same problem.

Regards!
The tip faces up and you do hold it by the tip and slowly lower it into the basket on top of the puck. In short, the tip on the screen does not face the puck. Not my pic but as pictured, the red tip should be facing up, allowing you to lower it slowly into the basket.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CdH1pHa3Jidta2g17

Jonk

#14: Post by Jonk »

This is how I use aeropress filters. Forms a nice little seal around the edge of the screen.

davidig

#15: Post by davidig »

I use one of the metal puck screens, instead of the paper and the standard screen. After i tamp, I lay the basket on its side and slide the puck screen into place. Seems to work without issue.

BSdV

#16: Post by BSdV »

I stopped using the paper filters altogether. For me they work well, but I find the metal screen works just as good. Had some channeling issues in the beginning but found that in my case this was due to grind setting. I was grinding too fine in the beginning.
I grind the coffee, use WDT for leveling and give it a slight tamp with the standard tamper.
Press the metal screen on top of the puck and fill only the required volume of water. Just so that in the end the air is pushed out leaving a nice dry puck without any mess.

Perhaps I should give the paper filters a try again. It's been some time since I've done that. See if I'll notice the difference now.

Jonk

#17: Post by Jonk »

In my case it's mainly about cleanliness and insurance against excavation of the puck if doing an overflow pour and/or using a gooseneck kettle. To me it's worth it but most of the time it'd be fine without.

Advertisement
TV33

#18: Post by TV33 »

Is there now a solution to shoot singles shots (say with a maximyum of 11g in) with the Robot?

Jonk

#19: Post by Jonk »

It's possible and there are some tricks you can use, like for example tamping with an Aeropress plunger if the stock tamper can't reach the grounds. I'm sure using a puck screen or a paper filter on top is extra helpful for a low dose.

But, personally I really can't recommend it.

#20: Post by victor_rf (original poster) »

Thank you all for your replies, and sorry for the delay in answering.

I've been experimenting with various methods and by far, the one that works best for me is to use the standard screen , stop using the tamper and instead tamp with my fingers on the screen. Chanelling is almost gone and no more need for paper filters

Thank you ver y much