Cafelat Robot day 1 issues - Help needed - Page 9

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mborkow
Supporter ♡

#81: Post by mborkow »

Fwiiw, I always raise the arms fully and then lock in the PF and that's how PP does it in all his demo videos too. I noticed the odd way you were doing it in your video but didn't think much of it however, if you are cracking the puck, that would surely make a mess of your shot.

Corgo

#82: Post by Corgo replying to mborkow »

One time I accidentally dropped the arms a little bit before fully seating the portafilter. So I had to pull the arm up with the portafilter in and the shot came rushing out when I pulled out. That went to the sink and I had to grind a new puck. From my experience, the arms need to be up all the way when inserting the portafilter.

mixespresso (original poster)

#83: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

mborkow wrote:Fwiiw, I always raise the arms fully and then lock in the PF and that's how PP does it in all his demo videos too. I noticed the odd way you were doing it in your video but didn't think much of it however, if you are cracking the puck, that would surely make a mess of your shot.
If this is the issue, I will be the happiest caffeinated person on the planet!

I have always tried to insert it using the new way Paul suggests by pressing the basket against the seal before lifting the arms up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GJZoTsulU

I have just compared my video to his, and the main difference I can see is that he attaches the PF from the left-hand side, lifts the arms and then he slides it all the way to the right.
I can see in my video that I am attaching it from the centre instead, I lift the arms and then, I slide the PF to the right. So, in the way I do it, there is less sliding before the PF gets locked. Is this what you mean? I'd never have thought that that could make any difference if the basket is properly pushed against the seal and the PF is locked.

Thanks

#84: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

I had not thought it through until now, but the traditional way to insert the PF might be safer than the alternative technique that Paul demonstrates.

Using the alternative technique you have to push the PF against the seal before lifting the arms. So, if you are not careful and don't push evenly, I can see how you could end up with an unleveled basket that leans to one side of the robot...

You guys might be into something!

cheers

Ken5
Supporter ★

#85: Post by Ken5 »

Even with the arms all the way up you still need to push the basket slightly onto the gasket to get the portafilter to line up with the tracks of the robot. Ever so slight, but you still end up pushing the basket onto the gasket.

jpender

#86: Post by jpender »

Thanks for the link to that video.

There might be an advantage to doing it the alternate way if it causes you to fully insert the seal into the basket before you turn the portafilter handle. If you try turning the PF without it pushed all the way up it can bind and be a frustrating experience.

Also thanks for the link because I found it amusing that you tube played an ad for Flair Espresso prior to running Paul's video. :-)

#87: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

Ken5 wrote:Even with the arms all the way up you still need to push the basket slightly onto the gasket to get the portafilter to line up with the tracks of the robot. Ever so slight, but you still end up pushing the basket onto the gasket.
That is true, you have to push either way.
With the arms up, the snapping is a bit more subtle than with the arms down. So my hope was that, due to beginner unfamiliarity, I was probably pushing too aggressively causing the basket to lose alignment. However, I did a couple of tests this morning and that was not the case. Both methods brought similar extraction experiences

So, I think we are back to the grinder. cheers

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by mborkow »

mixespresso wrote:I have always tried to insert it using the new way Paul suggests by pressing the basket against the seal before lifting the arms up video
I stand corrected (I had never seen that video) but I went back and checked some of his other videos on YouTube and I don't see him using that technique though I see from your subsequent posts that varying your technique did not improve the outcome...so looks like we are back at the grinder.

#89: Post by mixespresso (original poster) replying to mborkow »

Honestly, it was a great observation, which helped me understanding how a badly aligned or locked PF can mess the shot up

Apparently, Paul only realised this other technique in late 2021

#90: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

Getting new Eureka Mignon Specialitá burrs. Hope this fixes it. Cannot wait!