Cafelat Robot day 1 issues - Help needed - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mixespresso (original poster)

#61: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:The burrs in your grinder - they don't look like this right?

One thing you can do to make your grind even finer is to use the hopper - filled with a decent amount of beans, say 100g. You can even up the dose to 25g, just to exclude that there's anything wrong with your technique. Not sure if it was mentioned already in the thread but you get best control of the shot if you fill water almost to the top of the basket.
Yes, they burrs look like that. interesting test, thanks

Yes, I fill the PF to almost the top with off the boil water

Ken5

#62: Post by Ken5 »

thirdcrackfourthwave wrote:I'd try and borrow a different espresso grinder to experiment with. I'm pretty sure I could choke my Robot with three week old beans (it really doesn't take all that much to get to 10-11 bar) but if you can't find a different grinder you might look at the beans.
It was the fact that he bought beans from a bin that had no roast date that made me think that they could be a lot older than when he bought them, but the new beans he has been using this week eliminated that thought. :(

Jonk

#63: Post by Jonk »

mixespresso wrote:Yes, they burrs look like that.
The burrs in the picture are not meant for espresso so if yours look identical that is the issue. Have a second look or post a picture of your burrs here. If you do have the brew burrs installed you need to buy espresso burrs.

imp96

#64: Post by imp96 »

To add a couple points.
I think grind size is definitive issue here that needs to be addressed. The flow looks exactly like when I use to coarse of a grind.

To address this issue without changing burrs and/or the grinder you need to do the following 2 things:
1. Up the dose to 20g. There is no point to sticking with a 16g dose if it doesn't work. You will be comparing previous failures to new failures and not addressing the issue.
2. If the grind is still to coarse even for a 20g dose then you need to grind finer. What you showed in the first video is burr chirp. You can still grind at this setting, just don't leave the grinder running without beans at this setting.
3. You might want to align the grinder burrs to address the chirp but I don't think it is necessary.

jpender

#65: Post by jpender »

Jonk wrote:The burrs in the picture are not meant for espresso so if yours look identical that is the issue. Have a second look or post a picture of your burrs here. If you do have the brew burrs installed you need to buy espresso burrs.
Interesting that they seemed to work okay with his Delonghi.

I was going to suggest filling the basket half full with all-purpose flour as a test. For sure a couple of centimeters of tamped flour will choke your machine and you'll be able to peg the pressure gauge to whatever your muscles are capable of. But it sounds like it's actually just the wrong burrs, at least for the Robot.

#66: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:The burrs in the picture are not meant for espresso so if yours look identical that is the issue. Have a second look or post a picture of your burrs here. If you do have the brew burrs installed you need to buy espresso burrs.

Here is a pic I took when aligning the burrs. To be honest, I don't know about burr differences and specific properties

According to my pre-purchase research, the grinder has received good reviews for espresso but, of course, I am not an expert. Just in case it helps:
https://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/pr ... /1/20.aspx

#67: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

imp96 wrote:To add a couple points.
I think grind size is definitive issue here that needs to be addressed. The flow looks exactly like when I use to coarse of a grind.

To address this issue without changing burrs and/or the grinder you need to do the following 2 things:
1. Up the dose to 20g. There is no point to sticking with a 16g dose if it doesn't work. You will be comparing previous failures to new failures and not addressing the issue.
2. If the grind is still to coarse even for a 20g dose then you need to grind finer. What you showed in the first video is burr chirp. You can still grind at this setting, just don't leave the grinder running without beans at this setting.
3. You might want to align the grinder burrs to address the chirp but I don't think it is necessary.
1. I agree.
I only wanted to change one variable at a time. So I stuck with 16g and only changed the grinder settings. Now, it is updosing time

2. I did not know that. I always assumed that burrs touching will result in damaging the burrs

3. I did that already. They are perfectly aligned

Cheers

#68: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

jpender wrote:Interesting that they seemed to work okay with his Delonghi.

I was going to suggest filling the basket half full with all-purpose flour as a test. For sure a couple of centimeters of tamped flour will choke your machine and you'll be able to peg the pressure gauge to whatever your muscles are capable of. But it sounds like it's actually just the wrong burrs, at least for the Robot.

I have been really tempted to use plain flour, but I was afraid of breaking something... if I could borrow a non-digital scale it'd be helpful too

It'd surprise me if the burrs are not the right ones, but of course I know nothing about burrs. I have seen videos of people using the same grinder and the same robot. For example, the one I showed before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oWTr3wrIO4 (at t=180 you can see my same grinder). I know it is the same grinder, because he reviews it (and praises it) on a different vid.

I know you have reservations about this guy's robot review and his comments about temperate and piston but, with a similar setup, he seems to be able to use the robot with no problem. As far as I know, there were no options to choose burrs when buying the grinder

cheers

Smitward

#69: Post by Smitward »

Can you try pulling a few shots where you lock the portafilter in with the arms up rather than using the levers to pull the portafilter into place?

If you're not careful when pulling up on the levers you can break the puck by creating negative pressure in the basket.

Let me know,
Brandon

Jonk

#70: Post by Jonk »

mixespresso wrote:Here is a pic I took when aligning the burrs
OK - great- those are not the same as the extremely brew specific burrs in the picture I posted. There is a previous version of the brew burrs that are similar to their espresso burr - with just a bit more space between the finishing triangular surfaces that allow more boulders to escape. There have been instances where Eureka put the wrong burrs in at factory: Troubles with Eureka Specialita

I guess it's no fun to remove the burrs if they're aligned, but perhaps you've got a picture without marker? Either way, in that Eureka thread you'll read about other users having to grind near zero. Also about a faulty batch of burrs that made grinding slow.