Buying a lever espresso machine for coffee shop

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gavijal

#1: Post by gavijal »

Hi all. Long time rider, first time poster here. For few months I have an idea to open specialized coffee shop with lever machine in it (to set apart from others primarily, but for the love of levers like a concept).
I have a few questions for tho. as I never used lever machine.
Are they good for "3.wave" modern espressos?
How to maintain them?

After long research I narrowed it (but I'm open to suggestions) to two machines

VA Athena Leva https://www.victoriaarduino.com/en/athena-leva-eng/

Or
Bosco Sorrento https://www.bosco-macchine.com/product% ... p?codice=2

One is a HX and other is dipper.

Which one is able to produce better shots, and which one is easier to maintain?

Ty all

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

They're going to produce quite similar shots as the Athena has a flow restrictor to reduce pre-infusion pressure to dipper machine levels like the Bosco. The main difference would be which spring(s) they use.

As a dipper, the Bosco would be marginally easier to maintain, but the difference is very small.

Regardless, they're not going to be comparable to the La Marzocco Leva X for 3rd-wave espresso, assuming that the barista knows how to dial-in the options of the Leva X.

Good luck!

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
gavijal (original poster)

#3: Post by gavijal (original poster) »

Ty. So I should drop the idea to have 3. Wave espresso on machines like this?
LM leva is to modern for the look of coffee shop I'm planning.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baldheadracing » replying to gavijal »

The machines would have to be setup for it, that's all. For example, adjusting a pressurestat to change brew temperature is simple, but not as simple as a touchscreen.

Markant

#5: Post by Markant »

What about ACS Vostok with thermoregulated groups?

#6: Post by gavijal (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:The machines would have to be setup for it, that's all. For example, adjusting a pressurestat to change brew temperature is simple, but not as simple as a touchscreen.
I just looked at leva x. It has it charm (not like a classic one) but damn, it's 2.5 times more expensive.

#7: Post by gavijal (original poster) »

Markant wrote:What about ACS Vostok with thermoregulated groups?
Looks great. What would be its advantages compared to 2 I linked?

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Markant

#8: Post by Markant » replying to gavijal »

"Thermoregulated groups with independent regulation, double boiler, adjustable pre-infusion pressure, heating and reduced consumption times combined with a sophisticated and modern design, are the salient features of your Vostok."

What do you want more for 3rd wave coffee?

Don't know the machine; came across an advertisement for a second hand three group and it seemed to fit your requirements.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

gavijal wrote:I just looked at leva x. It has it charm (not like a classic one) but damn, it's 2.5 times more expensive.
It's a La Marzocco :wink:.

Videos of Greg Scace at home (and his La Marzocco Leva X)

MarvelousBiorr

#10: Post by MarvelousBiorr »

gavijal wrote:Ty. So I should drop the idea to have 3. Wave espresso on machines like this?
LM leva is to modern for the look of coffee shop I'm planning.
3rd wave espresso is much more heavily dependent on the grinder. Can you dial things in a bit more with more input control yes, but with a good enough grinder + burrs I am currently running some of the lightest coffee I have ever brewed on a Gaggia America from 1958 for a small pop-up coffee shop. That thing pushes out delicious berry and floral espresso with ease. That all being said the modern functionality of the Leva X is likely helpful for having several workers properly dial in that type of espresso. However, I run a Bosco one group at home and brew things from Saka level roasts up to greens passed gently over a candle flame and it handles all of it well. Using 98mm HU burrs or a Kafatek's SSW burrs allows for those to be pulled to a balanced shot in traditional ratios but the Bosco can actually pull up to 55g relatively easily so you can even push 1:3 shots if necessary.

TLDR; Any lever should be fine with the proper grinder for the shop + My vote is for the Bosco as I love what Roberta and the team are accomplishing.