Building a lever machine.... from scratch - Page 49

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
larrbo

#481: Post by larrbo »

That is a ludicrous amount of brass!

When I first saw the picture of all the different adapters and tees it seemed like overkill, but once you started to populate the boiler and the frame... that's about right. There's a lot of engineering and design that I was taking for granted in a modern lever machine.

bidoowee (original poster)

#482: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

Yup, lots and and lots of brass. There are a couple of assemblies that could be simplified with a custom part; but those are expensive. The input manifold especially is messy and unhelpful.
However, there isn't a lot of fat to be trimmed here if it all stays "off the shelf".

#483: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

Round four - ding, ding - maybe this time?

...and some plumbing runs.

#484: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

We're getting all hydraulic and electric!

All plumbing runs installed and tightened. Some re-tightened, gently sworn at, re-re-tightened, certain among which were loudly sworn at, replaced, tightened and re-tightened. Its a love hate thing.

I'm happier with the layout (hmm, drawing things in CAD first is actually helpful): the diagonal HX and smaller diameter tubing allow for a slightly simpler design and the virtual draft in the computer helped to eliminate a bunch of can't-install-this-because-that-is-now-in-the-way problems. The drain valve is now easily accessible right under the drip tray. I only put the steam tap on to, well, let off steam when I want to cool down the boiler quickly to continue working.

The new location and flange for AC distribution is far better than the previous version (i.e. there is one). I decided to switch to a terminal block rather than trying to accomplish everything inside the controller box. You can also see the T fitting that brings cold water to the HX and runs on to the expansion valve that at the sump.

Just below the T fitting is a bolt-on flange (made from a defunct IBM monitor stand) that supports the solenoid. No more free-hanging valves makes Sally the Solenoid happy:

All electrics and signal cables done. No checking for leaks - I just close my eyes when I turn it on.

Now its time to:

Image: Rafael Hoffmann

Paolo

#485: Post by Paolo »

OH COME ON!!!!!......

You can't just leave us hanging here....... :shock:

#486: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

Ok. :D

Paolo

#487: Post by Paolo »

Yes....and? :)

#488: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

... and look at the time on the controller. I went home after that and haven't been back since.
Maybe it worked. Maybe I don't have a studio anymore.

:wink:

Porridge will be shared tomorrow.

Paolo

#489: Post by Paolo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

arcus

#490: Post by arcus »

Looking good and I'm confident the studio will still exist when you show up. Hopefully, the new group will be ready to install soon.