Building a lever machine.... from scratch - Page 48

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
OldNuc

#471: Post by OldNuc »

Excessive pressure can produce stresses that result in future problems that will remain hidden at the time of the excessive pressure event. I doubt that 130psi is even close to the region where that would become an issue though.

There are no Standards that are applicable to small boilers and/or pressure vessels as they are specifically exempted out in the code. So when you go to the code books they are just random suggestions.

Bluecold

#472: Post by Bluecold »

LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Advertisement
bidoowee (original poster)

#473: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

Lol!
Bluecold wrote:Elektra tests at 22 bar
... or more!

22 bar. That is a lot. Glad I don't work in the testing department at Elektra.

I hadn't seen the letter that the insurance company wrote before. Hilarious (as well as completely implausible for oh-so-many reasons). :lol:

#474: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

Happy to report that the Revision B circuits are a success.
There are a couple of minor things that can be improved, so there will be a Revision C eventually, but everything works!

- Single input PID heating control with sequential, user-modifiable set points
- Auto-fill
- Timed startup and shutdown with separate weekday and weekend schedules
- Auto-recharging lithium battery clock backup
- Field replaceable fuse
- Discrete, isolated power supply for solenoid relay and element SSR

It should run on either 120v or 240v, though I haven't got around to testing it at 240v yet.

Still some work left behind the scenes on the firmware - things like error handling and ensuring graceful failure should sensors or wiring fail - and there is a machining operation for the bezel on the case that I don't have tooling for at the moment. Its all in the details.

OldNuc

#475: Post by OldNuc »

That 22 bar is more likely 2.2 bar test pressure as the 22 bar should be the destructive test pressure.

#476: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

A box!

FULL of stuff!

Please don't forget to:

walt_in_hawaii

#477: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

I WANT TO SHOP WHERE YOU SHOP, look at allllll that brass!!

Advertisement
walt_in_hawaii

#478: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

Love the moka pot visuals, however they are incorrect.
Dems don't drink coffee because they think the practice leads to coffee grounds and damage to their car's fuel systems in a process they don't quite understand. They are also concerned about caffeine in their systems messing up the good high they get from their marijuana. Republicans love coffee but can't have it often enough, because they have to get rid of the grounds in the only party approved way they know of, by dumping them into the tanks of the Dems' cars in their locale after prying the fuel tanks open with the bayonets on their AR15s.

#479: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »

walt_in_hawaii wrote:I WANT TO SHOP WHERE YOU SHOP, look at allllll that brass!!
That can be arranged!
walt_in_hawaii wrote:Love the moka pot visuals, however they are incorrect.
Lol. Excellent! If I were clever, I would now come up with something witty about House Blend.

All that brass got filed away in the library.

Then, mostly just to keep the paint from getting scratched, I cut some temporary feet from a piece of scrap red cedar.
The density spectrum goes roughly like this:

Nothing < Vacuum < Styrofoam < Red Cedar < Dryer lint < Those weird airline pillows < Drywall < Cast iron < Pierogies < Starbucks' "scones"

Then it is very heavy and expensive imported Lego time!

#480: Post by bidoowee (original poster) »