Bruni Brunella refurb and conversation.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone

Postby redbone » Mar 24, 2019, 3:26 pm

Recently acquired a vintage Bruni Brunella. Cleaned up well except for the spring which appears rusted on the bottom 1/3rd. Sourcing food grade matching spring will be a challenge. Planning to have 120v element made as it's currently 220v. Will also have to make or have made element plate boiler seal.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

JIMBOJOHN55

Postby JIMBOJOHN55 » Mar 25, 2019, 3:03 pm

Looks in good condition, pity about the spring. I restored a couple of these recently in the UK each one had a different element type, hopefully 110v will be easy to source if not I expect Gabor over in Hungary should be able to get one sorted.

redbone

Postby redbone » replying to JIMBOJOHN55 » Mar 25, 2019, 4:17 pm

Lucked out and found a custom gasket and seal company who are making a couple of boiler gaskets in either silicone or Viton food safe. Sent the element to a tubular element manufacturer that I've dealt with in the past. Will have a better idea early next week if they are able to recreate the element in 110-120v. Finding the spring will be a challenge as I may just remove the surface rust and live with it. The spring does not come directly in contact with water as it sits above the piston but some condensation and residual moisture will be present.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

JIMBOJOHN55

Postby JIMBOJOHN55 » Mar 28, 2019, 9:30 am

just on the spring issue - Ive nickel plated a few in the past with good results - need to get all the rust off first and preferably strip back to bare metal

the ebay kits work well but the chenicals are highly toxic - nitrile gloves all the way

leozava

Postby leozava » Mar 28, 2019, 10:28 am

You could also have the spring powder coated, as long as it isn't in constant contact with water.

redbone

Postby redbone » Mar 28, 2019, 6:31 pm

The 24hr citric acid / R.O. bath appears to have taken care of the mild surface rust and hard water staining. It did leave a black greasy substance on the spring. Soap scub rinse a wire brush to finish it off. Calling this a success ready for another 50 years.

Spring shows mild pitting exaggerated in the photo. Also presents remarkable strong tension and thick coil gauge for usage in a small machine requiring its 28cm long lever. Wonder about the designer intentions for a strong spring able to produce high bar requiring a finer grind.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549