Brugnetti Aurora now home

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
vicroamer

#1: Post by vicroamer »

Following on from my previous post I now have the Aurora at home. Here's a pic sitting on the bench the Aurora is not cleaned up, I just sat it there to make sure it will fit ok.

It will get restored as I go along but for now I need to get it plumbed in. The pressure regulator the filter supplier uses sets the pressure to 3.5 bar would that be OK for this machine, seeing it will be regulating the preinfusion pressure. Also on the lever there is no stop bumper, there looks to be a broken stud, looks like it was part of the stopper, there's also a small screw sticking out of the top I don't know what that is for. Would there be a parts list or schematic of the brew group someone can send. Hoping someone can help.

kitt

#2: Post by kitt »

The line pressure on mine is set at around 2-3Bar, it varies depending on what other taps are running or water being used.At that pressure i get the first drops from pre-infusion at around 5-6 seconds.I don't have any parts diagrams, but i'm happy to take some pic's of my group if that'll help.There is no stop bumper on mine either, just a small allen key screw set into the casting.I was thinking the screw was maybe for fine tuning the lever stop position, just make sure to never release the lever with no coffee in the portafilter!

vicroamer (original poster)

#3: Post by vicroamer (original poster) »

I've just had a closer look at the lever stop. It's just a socket head grub screw I've wound it out a little bit so the lever once again rests on it, the little top screw locks the grub screw. The plumb in kit should arrive tomorrow, not long now before she's up and running. :)

#4: Post by vicroamer (original poster) »

Looks like it can do with a new group seal, seeing it takes E61 portafilters will the standard E61 group seal fit?

doubleOsoul

#5: Post by doubleOsoul »

Your new lever is stone cold sexy.

#6: Post by vicroamer (original poster) »

I'm flattered :)

beanflying

#7: Post by beanflying »

Nice looking buy in it's current condition :) I was looking at it and decided I needed a winter holiday instead ;)

Just in case someone else lets the lever flick up empty might be worth adding a thin rubber stopper behind the lever. Have a look at Radio Parts/Dick Smith etc for rubber feet, normally just a small block of rubber with a thread hanging out the back. The other source you might get one with the right thread is a double ended version used for car exausts. My Z9 runs bumpers that just sit into a recessed hole at the top and bottom lever positions, but it still has a crack.
Levers RULE :-)

#8: Post by vicroamer (original poster) »

I was looking at it and decided I needed a winter holiday instead
I'm thankful for that, I was sweating on you joining the fray. I really bid more than I should , but where do you get machines like this. they must change hands privately you don't see them on ebay often. The other bidder doesn't know how close they came to buying it.
I will have a look at the stopper situation as I settle in with it. At the monent I've just plumbed it in and it's sitting on the bench cycling away. I'll pull a shot or two tomorrow night I'm to tired at the moment. A fitting under the sink still has a slight leak that can wait to the weekend. The stop tap on the water meter wouldn't shut off completely, I had a hell of a battle plumbing it in and now I have to have another go to get it right.

#9: Post by vicroamer (original poster) »

One more thing. does anyone have any tips on using a HX lever. Any flushing routine etc. I haven't pulled a shot yet just flushing the group, which dumps a fair bit of of steamy water at the start, maybe the group cools it during normal use and a HX flush is not needed, any tips would be appreciated.

hperry

#10: Post by hperry »

My best luck with the Termazona (a dead ringer for your machine) has been a single flush without coffee in the basket (careful with the handle) and then grind and go. I tend to grind toward the ristretto range although the machine will comfortably produce the full spectrum of drinks. My shots using the Versalab and the Vario have been to grind until heaping, tap down gently to level, do a NSEW on the grounds to dose, then do a standard tamp. Recently I have also experimented with weighing - using 16 to 20 grams - then just tapping with a light tamp. That also seems to have produced good results. Preinfuse until you see a drip. Grinding as I do I preinfuse 10 seonds - no drip appears - then gently release. YMMV.
Hal Perry