Bosco water chamber, how does it look and work inside

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Coffemakestheworlgo

#1: Post by Coffemakestheworlgo »

Bosco water chamber, how does it look and work inside ??

I found several photos of it
but none with a direct look into it
The dipper tube is rather BIG, it could hold a second dipper coming from the back of the grouphead like on a normal CMA
But i read here on HB that the Bosco doesn't have a tube attached to the back

the dipper tube, how high up into the water chamber does it go ?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

There is no tube on the back of the group. Bosco uses the cavity at the rear of the group & their custom reservoir to hold the shot water at less than boiler temp. Kees did something similar with his Idro only he used a large diameter t/s tube as the external reservoir.

I've never had the group off of my Sorrento but I seem to recall seeing a photo where the dipper tube stuck up into the reservoir body maybe 3/8"??
LMWDP 267

Balthazar_B

#3: Post by Balthazar_B replying to JohnB. »

John, the discussion of large-boiler dippers in another thread got me thinking about lever machines like these in home environments. Given the much slower turnover of water compared with a commercial environment, does one need to periodically replenish the boiler by pulling a few liters from the hot water tap, in order to avoid it going stale?

Thanks!
- John

LMWDP # 577

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

I use the Sorrento's boiler water to rinse my shot cup, the catch cup, the pf & to rinse the screen after each shot so the boiler gets a fair amount of fresh water each day. About once a week, right after the machine shuts down for the day, I draw 2 litres from the boiler which brings it down to the minimum level & refill using the manual fill valve. Pretty much the same routine that I use with the Speedster except I only pull 1 litre from the steam boiler & the machine is running when I do it.

I don't know that the boiler water would go stale but I like the idea of a regular turnover in the boilers so my routine makes me feel better about what I'm drinking.
LMWDP 267