Bosco Sorrento Update!

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Phaedrus

#1: Post by Phaedrus »

I promised I'd post about my newly arrived Sorrento. I'm limited on time, but here's what I can report so far:

1. DHL is FAST. Literally one day, from Naples to my doorstep.
2. Customs payment was handled online by credit card, quick and easy.
3. Connecting with a flojet made installation easy. I can understand why many choose to go with a pump+accumulator, but I needed easy.
4. Bosco boilers are no longer chromed. They're still beautiful works of art, but they will be in their natural copper.
5. The PID makes the pressure adjustment quick, easy and precise. I personally think it looks nice, but they can NOT, however, hide it or relocate it.

I'm getting a constant gurgling sound from the boiler, it sounds like the water rustling inside the machine. I e-mailed Bosco, but I feel like this is a simple fix that someone in the HB community may be able guide me through.

More info & pics to come...

wachuko

#2: Post by wachuko »

Congratulations!
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Unlike the p'stat which kicks in the heater every 6 minutes or so the PID will turn on the heating element if the boiler temp drops a few tenths of a degree. Maybe that's what you are hearing?
LMWDP 267

Phaedrus

#4: Post by Phaedrus » replying to JohnB. »

Could be, but wouldn't that be the case with any other PID boiler? I wouldn't expect to hear the constant sound of water boiling (although I'm not sure that's what this is) on a boiler with a PID. The Alex Leva has a PID and a large boiler, but is completely silent.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

If you are heating water to a boil there will be some noise. It's either that or a vacuum valve sticking??
LMWDP 267

Phaedrus

#6: Post by Phaedrus » replying to JohnB. »

The vacuum breaker looks like it's closing normally once the boiler reaches the right pressure. Don't get me wrong, the gurgling isn't loud or even annoying, I just want to make sure that it's normal and it's nothing to worry about. On all the machines that I've used, you usually hear the gurgling of heated water occasionally, but not constantly.

elbertfunkleberg

#7: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

Gurgling with a new machine is most likely to be an airlock somewhere. Machines often need to be fully flushed with water before first use.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

Do you hear the gurgling even when the PID readout isn't climbing or does it stop briefly when the PID reaches the set temp?
LMWDP 267

Phaedrus

#9: Post by Phaedrus » replying to JohnB. »

It's always gurgling. The only time it stops briefly is if I use the manual fill valve.

Elbert might be on to something. Maybe I didn't handle the initial fill properly. Before powering on, I pulled the manual fill valve, brought the water level line to about half to 3/4 and then powered on and let the auto fill handle the rest.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

Readings on the pressure gauge normal? Boiler level not increasing?
LMWDP 267