Bosco Sorrento Update! - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bluecold
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by Bluecold »

Phaedrus wrote:There is a single two-pole element, it's not possible to miswire it right? Heating elements don't even have polarity. Also, I'm sure the Bosco folks tested it before shipping it. So I'm thinking this is on my end.
I'm sorry, I thought I saw a double element on a Sorrento photo. Can you measure element resistance?
I think there is a chance you're running a 220v element on 110v, which would be consistent with the power being 1/4th of the rated power.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Phaedrus

#52: Post by Phaedrus » replying to Bluecold »

No worries, I really appreciate the assistance. This is actually kind of fun, it's something new and different to do while we're on lockdown over here. I'm hoping we figure this out before Italy gives me the answer! Anyway the element returns approx 9.5 ohms. According to random internet calculator, I should be seeing 3x the watts at 122 volts. Is that right?

Bluecold
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by Bluecold »

Indeed, assuming purely resistive load, p=u^2/r, or 122*122/9.5=1566w.
Which is wierd. Not 2kw, but also not 500w.
You can try to bypass the PID control and check if it heats up way faster?
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Phaedrus

#54: Post by Phaedrus » replying to Bluecold »

Hmmm, not sure how I would do that. Is there a chance that my choice of breaker or inverting the polarity on the plug could result in this type of behavior?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#55: Post by JohnB. »

Correct voltage & wattage is usually stamped on the element mounting plate. Have you tried to measure the voltage at the element?
LMWDP 267

Bluecold
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by Bluecold »

Phaedrus wrote:Hmmm, not sure how I would do that. Is there a chance that my choice of breaker or inverting the polarity on the plug could result in this type of behavior?
You could, if you're comfortable with it, wire the plug directly to your element.
This way, you bypass your control system and you can check if the problem lies with your element/voltage/polarity, or with the control loop.
Again, only if you're comfortable with it.
LMWDP #232

IamOiman

#57: Post by IamOiman »

Bluecold wrote:I'm sorry, I thought I saw a double element on a Sorrento photo.

This is what my element looks like. I get about 7.1Ω on my multimeter, or 2028W for my element. Just about what it specifies it to be. You however have something funky going on with that calculated power. Elements may not be quite up to spec on its official rating, ie my Gaggia that uses a 2kW element was measured to be 1920W (7.5Ω measured) but you have a potential issue that I cannot quite think of.

My machine reaches boiler pressure in 20 minutes, and the group is fully heated in about 80 minutes total but if I pull flushes it's ready sooner. Try again with the multimeter, as my initial Gaggia element measurements were about 2Ω higher than I was initially expected.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Phaedrus

#58: Post by Phaedrus »

I measured again, and I got 9.2 ohms (the leads to the element were connected and the power to the machine was off). I powered the machine on and read 120V across the two terminals of the heating element. The neutral is switched by the SSR, so I pulled the lead going back to the power switch off and connected it to the terminal with the lead going to the element, powered on and I still saw the same 4ish amps being drawn. The smart outlet again showed about 550w being drawn. I'm stumped. :cry:

def
Supporter ♡

#59: Post by def »

So what is the verdict? Are you just going to have to live with the boiler noise? Surely Bosco has responded by now -- what is their stance on the matter?

Phaedrus

#60: Post by Phaedrus » replying to def »

The entire country is on lockdown so I don't expect a response from them until they're allowed out of their houses. I haven't updated them with my new findings. The noise is probably due to the fact that the heating element is basically firing at all times due to it not heating to the full 2000 watts.

The writing is really small in the heating element, but it does appear to say 120V 2000.