Bosco Sorrento Update! - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Phaedrus (original poster)

#41: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) »

shotwell wrote:Many supermarkets have refill stations with de-ionized water available. You can take in your jugs and fill them back up, just scratch off the barcodes.
Unfortunately in my area of NJ the closest we get to that is a station where you can purchase filled five gallon jugs of Poland Spring and drop off the empties. Most supermarkets in my area have now capped purchases to two gallons of spring or distilled water. They've done the same with other products like meat, milk and paper products.

I haven't heard back from Italy yet, but given what's going on over there with the latest restrictions, I don't expect an answer anytime soon. Nonetheless, despite my curiosity about what could be causing this "gurgle," I have to reiterate what others have said, this machine is awesome! It's such a pleasure to use. It came just in time too, now that my wife and I are both working from home, I've been cranking out Americanos like never before. Every drink tastes exactly the same (assuming the same beans and grind of course). The consistency is amazing.

Another curious thing I've observed is that the smart outlet shows a draw during warmup of around 480 watts. I chalked it up to buggy software, but once again, curiosity got the best of me so I put a clamp multimeter around one of the leads to the heating element, the result was approx. 4.5 amps. I'm getting a solid 122 volts from the outlet, so that puts me around 550 watts during warmup; where I would expect it to be closer to 2000. Once the PID reaches its setpoint and everything stabilizes, the draw drops down to around 350 watts or so. The decimal point on the PID display corresponds to the heating element activation, during warmup it's solid, once stabilized it pulses around once per second. Not sure if any of this is relevant to the gurgle, but I figured I'd post my observations.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by JohnB. »

Hard to imagine how a 2000w heating element can only draw 550w unless warnup is taking hours??
LMWDP 267

#43: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

I'd say it takes about 2 hours to reach operating temperature.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by JohnB. »

Are you saying the boiler takes 2 hours to fully heat up?
LMWDP 267

#45: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Yes, from cold to 1.2 bar (or 124 degrees C on the PID display) it takes somewhere between 90 to 120 minutes.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by JohnB. »

There is definitely something wrong with the wiring in your machine!. I would turn it off, unplug & figure it out. Did the machine come with the U.S. plug installed or did you install it? If you installed it did you get the Euro color coded wires correct?

Boiler should be fully up to temp in 10-15 minutes.
LMWDP 267

Bluecold

#47: Post by Bluecold »

I agree with John. Are you sure the element is wired in parallel and not in series? My Lambro exhibited the same behavior and the element was wired up the wrong way.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by JohnB. »

If you need access to the element the entire rear case will lift off if you remove the 4 screws in the front cover/face plate.
LMWDP 267

#49: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) »

Bluecold wrote:I agree with John. Are you sure the element is wired in parallel and not in series? My Lambro exhibited the same behavior and the element was wired up the wrong way.
There is a single two-pole element, it's not possible to miswire it right? Heating elements don't even have polarity. Also, I'm sure the Bosco folks tested it before shipping it. So I'm thinking this is on my end.

#50: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:There is definitely something wrong with the wiring in your machine!. I would turn it off, unplug & figure it out. Did the machine come with the U.S. plug installed or did you install it? If you installed it did you get the Euro color coded wires correct?

Boiler should be fully up to temp in 10-15 minutes.
No, it didn't come with a plug, I used a similar plug as Ryan. The wire uses the international color codes, brown (hot), blue (neutral) and green/yellow (ground). I will admit that with two kids yelling and screaming, I could have inverted the hot and neutral but would something like that manifest in the issue I'm having? Just to be sure, on the NEMA 5-20P I have the vertical blade (|) wired to hot and the horizontal blade (-) wired to the neutral. There's a home-run to the panel with a combo GFCI/AFCI breaker. I actually ran two home runs, each with the same breaker. One has the smart outlet, the other a standard outlet. I observed the same behavior on both outlets.