Bosco Sorrento Update! - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Phaedrus (original poster)

#31: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:How high in the water level tube is the water after the boiler fills? how low does it get before the refill kicks in?
As far as I can tell, the water level tube is full. I just drew 60ml of water from the hot water tap. After a few seconds the water fill solenoid clicked on for a second which in turn activated the flojet. It then proceeded to do this four more times over the course of a minute or so. The times the solenoid stayed open varied from a split second to about two seconds.

bettysnephew

#32: Post by bettysnephew »

Very similar to how mine acts but with the inline accumulator the pump doesn't run, the fill solenoid just clicks on/off a few times. I think the repetition is caused by agitation in the boiler when water flows and rises up on the probe. When the flow ceases the level stabilizes and calls for another fill.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Advertisement
IamOiman
Team HB

#33: Post by IamOiman »

Yea when the boiler is heating up the water sloshes around a bit while doing so, triggering the autolevel fill if you just pulled a shot or water came out of the boiler. It stabilizes after a minute. The clicking noise does not bother me so I have not added an accumulator tank to my setup.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by JohnB. »

Phaedrus wrote:As far as I can tell, the water level tube is full. I just drew 60ml of water from the hot water tap. After a few seconds the water fill solenoid clicked on for a second which in turn activated the flojet. It then proceeded to do this four more times over the course of a minute or so. The times the solenoid stayed open varied from a split second to about two seconds.
Boiler refill on mine stops when the water level is just above the second line from the top. Refill kicks in when the level drops a little below that line. I haven't heard the refill start when the boiler reheats but I defimnitely hear a noticeable gurgling noise when the boiler reheats. Stops a few seconds after the p'stat kicks off & it's quiet for another 6 minutes.
LMWDP 267

Phaedrus (original poster)

#35: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Your sight glass has lines? Mine is just a solid glass cylinder, but it's always full. Maybe a complete boiler flush is in order, but we have to conserve bottled water right now. My local supermarket restocked their distilled water, limited it to two per customer and it still sold out in a few hours. Might be time to invest in a distiller. At least it'll reduce the plastic waste...

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by JohnB. »

Yes it has lines & the minimum level is marked towards the bottom. Mine also has a minimum water level warning light by the tube. Roberta tells me it is the only one they've built with that light.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by JohnB. »

If your tube viewing window is still 1 & 15/16" & the tube is filled to the top I'd say that your boiler might be overfilled.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
bettysnephew

#38: Post by bettysnephew »

My later model Sorento also has no markings and the tube has always been full like Phaedrus machine. As we have noticed before, Bosco makes changes over time, like the full output volume of a shot from the group and the mysterious screw to stop the lever when pulled down.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by JohnB. »

Evidently but removing the markings from the level tube seems like a silly cost cutting move. I really like having the minimum level amount marking when I'm pulling a couple liters of water to refresh the boiler. As for the stop screw if it is scratching the lever it really doesn't accomplish much.
LMWDP 267

shotwell

#40: Post by shotwell »

Phaedrus wrote: My local supermarket restocked their distilled water, limited it to two per customer and it still sold out in a few hours. Might be time to invest in a distiller. At least it'll reduce the plastic waste...
Many supermarkets have refill stations with de-ionized water available. You can take in your jugs and fill them back up, just scratch off the barcodes.