Bosco options - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Balthazar_B

#11: Post by Balthazar_B »

Definitely get their collection of steam tips and one or more sets of seals/gaskets.

Additionally, consider some extra portafilters. OEM issue are great since the ears will fit correctly (the one area there's quite a lot of variance with 58mm machines).

And while you're waiting for your machine to arrive, always a good idea to make sure your plumbing and electrical setups are done properly. Especially important to provide a dedicated circuit to handle the amperage your machine will suck up, particularly when it's warming up, without burning your house down. Also think about a complementary, adequately-specced smart switch if you want to automate turning it on in the morning while you're still asleep.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Balthazar_B

#12: Post by Balthazar_B »

JohnB. wrote: I prefer the knob valves over the levers.
John, do you know if converting between knobs and levers is feasible (i.e., a pretty simple swap of the valve)? If so, it might be interesting to get the alternative set if one is uncertain about which will work best for workflow, etc. I've seen at least one Bosco with a knob for the steam and a lever for the hot water. Personally, I prefer levers since I'm used to working with full-on steam and controlling flow with the tips. It lets me turn off the steam/water with my elbow when both my hands are occupied. But I definitely understand why many people like knobs.
- John

LMWDP # 577

sadbox

#13: Post by sadbox »

My Bosco should arrive tomorrow! I also opted for the boiler drain. Outside of that mostly cosmetic changes: red body panels, wood accents, the steam cup warmer (should be standard on your 2-group) and a bottomless portafilter.

The steam cup warmer is almost certainly unnecessary, but I think they look fun, so why not?

edit: I also ordered mine as a 1400w, it allows me to run it on the 15a circuit I have available in my apartment. I also have a 2000w element coming with it for a future where I can dedicated a 20a circuit to the machine.
LMWDP #674

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by JohnB. »

Balthazar_B wrote:John, do you know if converting between knobs and levers is feasible (i.e., a pretty simple swap of the valve)? If so, it might be interesting to get the alternative set if one is uncertain about which will work best for workflow, etc. I've seen at least one Bosco with a knob for the steam and a lever for the hot water.

My Sorrento was the opposite. Original owner spec'd a lever steam valve & knob hot water. I ordered a knob steam valve assy & 2 spare knobs. Cut up the spare knobs to get the threaded inserts for the wood knobs I had made. Changing the valves is straight forward.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JohnB. »

sadbox wrote:My Bosco should arrive tomorrow! I also opted for the boiler drain. Outside of that mostly cosmetic changes: red body panels, wood accents, the steam cup warmer (should be standard on your 2-group) and a bottomless portafilter.

edit: I also ordered mine as a 1400w, it allows me to run it on the 15a circuit I have available in my apartment. I also have a 2000w element coming with it for a future where I can dedicated a 20a circuit to the machine.
Recovery will be pretty slow with a 1400W element. Was that the only smaller option they could offer? Mine has an 1800W element & I ran it on a 15A circuit for a while when I first got the machine. Checked amperage with a Kill-O-Watt & it never pulled much over 15A.
LMWDP 267

sadbox

#16: Post by sadbox replying to JohnB. »

I have a fairly silly situation: my Bosco will be sharing a circuit with a few other things. For me to feel comfortable with it I wanted something <= 1500w, and 1400w was the closest they had. We are starting our house hunt in the next 6mo or so, and at that point the Bosco will get it's own 20a circuit + 2000w element. Recovery is a little less of an issue given our lack of guests during covid :lol:
LMWDP #674

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. »

With a stock 1800w or 2000W element the Sorrento needs a good 90 minutes to be fully up to temp/temp stabil. With that 1400W element I'd add another half hour to your timer setting. You can tell when the machine is fully up to temp by grasping the lever just below the handle. If it is too hot to hold for long it's there, if you can hold it comfortably it's not.
LMWDP 267

espressotime

#18: Post by espressotime replying to JohnB. »

Wow!
90 minutes! :shock:
Must be that little reservoir behind the group.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. replying to espressotime »

I doubt your machine is any different if we are talking about reaching full temp stability. My Speedster is no different. I'm not talking about the boiler water being up to temp I'm talking about every part of the group & machine being fully heated so that the group reaches a max & stable idle temp for the boiler setting/room temp. There will be a big difference in shot water temp with shots pulled 30-45 minutes after you turn on the machine & 90 minutes. If you don't believe me borrow a Scace & do some testing.
LMWDP 267

Balthazar_B

#20: Post by Balthazar_B »

espressotime wrote:Wow!
90 minutes! :shock:
Must be that little reservoir behind the group.
That little reservoir is definitely it. And the 100 lbs of metal and 6 litres of water draw a little additional juice to heat up, too.
- John

LMWDP # 577