Bosco, DHL, and the FDA - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman

#21: Post by IamOiman »

Great to hear,

now to get the true Neapolitan experience you should try some Saka Caffè! I would not mind giving you a little baggie to try at no cost.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

bettysnephew

#22: Post by bettysnephew »

Congratulations! Hopefully it will be in your home soon and making espresso.

I had issues with DHL getting my machine to me as they forgot to contact me to pay the customs fees so I kept getting cryptic messages about being in customs hold but no directions who or what needed to be done to get it released. Mine sat in a warehouse in Cincinnati for over a week while I waded through a myriad of phone calls getting it processed. If someone at DHL would have been able to tell me where and how much to send them it would have gone much quicker. Sounds very similar to my experience. Once the fees were paid, things went along well.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
BrandtStarck (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by BrandtStarck (original poster) »

IamOiman wrote:Great to hear,

now to get the true Neapolitan experience you should try some Saka Caffè! I would not mind giving you a little baggie to try at no cost.
I was actually going to contact you in a private message about that, to ask if you were going to order again soon, and if I could buy a Kilo through/from you when you do.

Supporter ❤

#24: Post by BrandtStarck (original poster) »

bettysnephew wrote:Congratulations! Hopefully it will be in your home soon and making espresso.

I had issues with DHL getting my machine to me as they forgot to contact me to pay the customs fees so I kept getting cryptic messages about being in customs hold but no directions who or what needed to be done to get it released. Mine sat in a warehouse in Cincinnati for over a week while I waded through a myriad of phone calls getting it processed. If someone at DHL would have been able to tell me where and how much to send them it would have gone much quicker. Sounds very similar to my experience. Once the fees were paid, things went along well.
I am probably the most impatient man in the world when it comes to shipments. I have been getting eye-rolls from my girlfriend because I have been refreshing the DHL tracking page about every 90 seconds since last Wednesday.

I had seen something about someone (maybe you) who'd been held up with confounding messages from the DHL agent regarding what was needed to clear customs. Again, I'd been googling and had been trying to pay them since it left Italy. I'd a little trouble with that and finally had to send my W-2 to prove that I was a human. I kept sending my information: phone, SSN, address, full name, and I kept getting emails with nothing but "Need IRS Proof" - IRS proof is a W-2 I guess.

I also think someone screwed up - I don't think I paid nearly what I was supposed to.

IamOiman

#25: Post by IamOiman »

I'll send a DM

The customs fee would be 3.7% of the base price (not counting shipping), but they may come after you later if they see they did not charge enough. I speak from personal experience.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Supporter ❤

#26: Post by BrandtStarck (original poster) » replying to IamOiman »

I suspect that they will be coming after me. I only paid $127.23

Supporter ❤

#27: Post by BrandtStarck (original poster) »

My Bosco arrived in Boston at 1048 this morning, and was delivered at 1252. All that worrying was for nothing, evidently.

The delivery driver had it on it's side when he lowered the gate on the truck - there was a good bit of water on the outside of the machine when I removed the wrap - and I think at one point it was dropped, because the steam lever knob was broken - but a little wood glue seems to have done the trick.

They do a great job of packing these things for shipment.

I suspect I won't be sleeping tonight...

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by JohnB. »

Boy you had all the luck on this one! Roberta might send you a replacement knob if you let her know it arrived broken.
LMWDP 267

Supporter ❤

#29: Post by BrandtStarck (original poster) » replying to JohnB. »

Yes, very lucky! When the DHL driver called it was so unexpected that I exclaimed to him: "wait! I need to find my pants!"

I did let her know. More that I was thrilled with the machine than that there was any issue, but I did mention it, and I'm hoping a little wood glue will fix it up, and I'll be fine.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#30: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz » replying to BrandtStarck »

A number of years ago (maybe a decade now), I was riding my bike through Sausalito CA. I knew it was a busy weekend that weekend with art festivals etc. I choose that route because I thought it might be the least busy. Well the guy that hit me really wanted that parking spot when he did the hard right. I was fine but one of my pedals has a nasty scratch on it. Still riding with that pedal today. Your story of the knob reminded me of that day. If the glue works might just want to keep it, for the stories that make up a life well lived.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart