Bosco, DHL, and the FDA - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mathof

#11: Post by mathof »

Bellissima!

BrandtStarck (original poster)

#12: Post by BrandtStarck (original poster) replying to mathof »

She's a beauty, ain't she??
I can't wait to get her making coffee.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

Shocking difference in the before & after chroming pics!! Looks sweet.
LMWDP 267

IamOiman
Team HB

#14: Post by IamOiman »

Very nice machine there!

The Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) is a 10 digit code used to classify traded goods based on materials used in production, intended use, and name when importing and exporting through US customs. It is divided into sections, and dictates if there is tariff on the particular product. There is some flexibility on how an HTS code can be interpreted. Normally the person/vendor shipping the product is the one that specifies the code to be used.

8419.81.9080 is what I had my seller use for my Faema Mercurio. I will explain what this number means. An HTS code is divided into four primary sections, described below.

Chapter: In this example, 84 is the chapter. Chapter 84 is in regards to nuclear reactors, boilers, machinery and mechanical appliances; parts thereof

Heading: In this example, 8419 is the heading. The heading dictates the specific category within any particular chapter. Heading 8419 is in regards to machinery, plant or laboratory equipment, whether or not electrically heated (excluding furnaces, ovens and other equipment of heading 8514), for the treatment of materials by a process involving a change of temperature such as heating, cooking, roasting, distilling, rectifying, sterilizing, pasteurizing, steaming, drying, evaporating, vaporizing, condensing or cooling, other than machinery or plant of a kind used for domestic purposes; instantaneous or storage water heaters, nonelectric; parts thereof:

Subheading: 8419.81 is the subheading. The last two digits of the international Harmonized Code are more specific, defining subcategories of products. 8419.81 is any mentioned equipment from above whose purpose is for making hot drinks or for cooking or heating food

Extra digits: 8419.81.9080 is the suffix (or extra digits) for further specification. 8419.81.9080 refers to this equipment as 'Other.'

This is where interpretation can be used in your favor, as there is also a code specific to coffee machines, 8516.71.00. Coffee parts would also fall under this category in the suffix 8516.71.0060 (other) based on my past experience of ordering from Ascaso. 8516.71.00 charges a 3.7% tariff while 8419.81.9080 has no tariff. I was able to successfully argue that because my Faema Mercurio can technically produce other beverages besides coffee via the hot water wand, my machine technically can be classified as an apparatus that makes hot drinks designed for a commercial environment. Thus I saved a non-insignificant sum of money when purchasing the Mercurio by having the 3.7% tariff waived.

I would guess Bosco uses 8516.71.00 when creating the shipping invoice for customs since I have seen others pay a tariff fee during shipment.

This was the resource I used when looking up the HTS and the other website allows you to search specific codes.
https://www.shippingsolutions.com/blog/ ... f-schedule
https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=8516.71.00
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612
★ Helpful

derylob

#15: Post by derylob »

I hope you get your machine very soon. I had mine delivered last week on Wednesday. I guess I was pretty lucky. I had only one day delay because DHL took it from Chicago ( I live in Chicago burbs) to Detroit by mistake. Bu anyways it's with me now and I'm happy.

#16: Post by BrandtStarck (original poster) »

IamOiman wrote:The Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) is a 10 digit code used to classify traded goods...
I would guess Bosco uses 8516.71.00 when creating the shipping invoice for customs since I have seen others pay a tariff fee during shipment.
Thank you for sharing that. I have no idea at all, but that makes me think that I may not be out of the woods yet.

I tried a DHL customer service representative again, and they can only tell me that customs has released the shipment. But he knew nothing of the FDA's involvement. I guess I'll know in the morning. Hopefully it moves away from Cincinnati!

IamOiman
Team HB

#17: Post by IamOiman »

well the good news is you are close to me and JohnB so if you need the itch just break into one of our houses to try out a Bosco :D

I guess you could ask me nicely as well...

You'll need to come to me as going off Aquidneck island is too far for me though these days, unless it's to pick up another lever.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

#18: Post by BrandtStarck (original poster) replying to IamOiman »

It appears that I'm safe from a life of crime and will not have to break into your homes to try out your Sorrentos.

Mine was released by the FDA - without inspection by the look of things - and as of 0641 today has departed Cincinnati. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be pulling shots...if not maybe Friday. We shall see.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. »

That's good to hear. Hopefully it's moving by plane, not truck.
LMWDP 267

#20: Post by BrandtStarck (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

At this point, I'm happy that it's MOVING!

I had been told "seven to ten days" more than once - seven to ten days with a spoonful of Federal Fairy Dust could easily have been months.