Boiler overfill problem - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
stefano65
Sponsor

#11: Post by stefano65 »

If not comfortable
Might be time to call a tech,
not many that we know of, down there,
but there is one that occasionally buys parts form us and he has around for a long time,
if you are interested send me an email I can forward his info
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Clint Orchuk (original poster)

#12: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

Thanks Eric and Stefano. I'll get a photo of the solenoid valve connections tomorrow. Allon, the autofill on my machine activates just like yours for a few seconds every time I turn it on.

allon

#13: Post by allon »

On my machine, the line from the fill manifold to the autofill solenoid has another shut-off-valve inline that can presumably be used to coarsely control the rate of autofill. It can also completely shut off the autofill while leaving manual fill.

Does your machine have this valve? If so you can use it to troubleshoot as I described earlier.
LMWDP #331

#14: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

Allon, I think this is the valve you mean. It seems to operate normally. I've included a photo of the solenoid connections.

erics
Supporter ★

#15: Post by erics »

Unfortunately, it appears as though that boiler fill solenoid has a screw cap which contains the female electrical connections. While it is possible to rig up a means to measure voltage, that may not be necessary.

Just leave the electrical connection off as you have it and operate with the manual fill valve. If the problem goes away, that tells me the solenoid is receiving voltage when it should not.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#16: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

Thanks Eric. It looks like after some testing that the Gicar RL40 is bad. It's so baked inside and brittle so I'm going to replace it. EP shows a 4-6 week lead time. Ouch.

erics
Supporter ★

#17: Post by erics »

If you do a search for HB member "jpboyt", he is fully capable of repairing/rebuilding these control boxes. And, he is in your "neck of the woods", IIRC.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com