Australian Bo-Ema 2 Group Lever - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gunda

#11: Post by gunda »

IamOiman wrote:If Boema switched over to Metric in that year [1974] then I have a minimum age for this machine.
I don't think it's that precise. While the changeover to decimal currency [1966] was relatively quick, the changeover from imperial to metric measurements was much more prolonged and drawn-out. I bought a largish tool kit in 1977 or 78, which I still have (vintage Sidchrome for the Aussies here), and one half was metric and one half was imperial. My Japanese motorbike was metric IIRC, but around the house it was still imperial, and at the time the metric half of the kit was more an investment in the future. The Boema could well be younger.

IamOiman (original poster)

#12: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

So there was a change in events today. The seller found the missing bits from the guy he got the machine from, and now I see this Boema does have feet, but it is slotted like my missing Mercurio feet. There are probably two other ones missing but this is very interesting to see and I will take measurements of these feet for others to see. The lever is still missing so I will have two reproductions made. The element looks pretty knackered but hopefully it's an M32 x 1.5 like other modern elements. It looks very knackered.

I am working out a price as my original negotiations were based off the missing bits and will have them shipped to me this time.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
Paul_Pratt

#13: Post by Paul_Pratt »

That makes things easier! The non metric BSW thread is quite common on many machines for fasteners. LSM, VA, Pavoni and my Aussie made Gaggia Monte all use BSW threads. I think there are others but can't remember now.

#14: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

The missing parts arrived today, and I believe I now have a year of manufacture: 1981, inscribed on the boiler lid. It is massively overkill and the heaviest lid I have handled so far. It clocks in at an impressive 16lb/7kg!

The portafilters are really cool and remind me of the older spouts seen on 50's machines. The ears are really far down but they look normal in shape.

The heating element hex is 2 inches but I believe the thread is 1 1/4 inch. I'll need to confirm this first.

I also received a scan of a service manual from an older Boema machine. It is very interesting to read and I got the permission of the owner to post it, which I will do here.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

LuckyMark

#15: Post by LuckyMark »

Hi Ryan, the manual might relate to a newer model. It mentions ACN (Australian Company Number) on the front, these came in about the year 2000. Though clearly Boema didn't have a word processor and still used a typewriter then! :D Which does make the manual look older.

Ps Love the description "fluffing of milk"! No Nancy Boy microfoam for a Boema owner, they call it what it is!

Hoover

#16: Post by Hoover »

Hi Ryan

Congratulations, BOEMA piston levers aren't found that often and information and parts are a bit tricky.
Boema in Sydney aren't interested in helping. They hold no information or parts. I have had mine over 20 years.
BOEMA piston levers are a bit of an ugly duckling but are in the powerhouse museum as Australia's first ever build espresso machine
https://collection.maas.museum/object/11725

I love my BOEMA and they are rare .

Need any advise please let me know.

Good luck

Uwe

#17: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I appreciate the offer Uwe. I have a good idea on what most of the gaskets will make good replacements. The only one I will need to look at closely is the boiler gasket to see if I need to make my own or if the size is a standard one from another brand.

This project will be on standby mostly until the Mercurio is assembled though, so I do not expect to make an update right now :wink:
-Ryan
LMWDP #612